IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 2: Beamrider

Ze_ro

I find it easier to play games on the emulator. It's easier to press a key right or left then a joystick because the key is precice. You press right you get one beam right. Joystick you might go two beams right.

I haven't played games on the emulator, but I can speak of the aggravation caused by the joystick moving further than I wanted it to. I've worn my reset switch down to a little stub. I'm getting better and I'm learning that this game rules!! Wish I had starting playing it much before now. Apparently the difficulties inherent with the joystick aren't keeping some people from getting amazing scores. 8) I'm only at 8,000 and change right now. I'll post a pic if I score higher, yeah right. :P

Other than royally pissing me off, has keilbaca explained why he wanted to start this game out on Diff A. Aarrghh! I need those early rounds to load up on extra ships and get tons of bonus pts! :x :x :x :x :x

Ah well. Here is my first "real" score. Much more realistic than the first one I posted on Diff B!

36780 Sector 20

Weee :)

post-409-1106812293_thumb.jpg

:D

I was 2 ships away from sector 20, but was only at 33K on my last game.

The bonus life every level is pretty nice. I never understood how to get him. I was shooting it before it hit me :lol: But if you can stay alive for the most part, then if you catch the extra life, you can gain more points just by killing the big mothership thing at the end of the board. The more extra lives you have the higher the bonus. Around 250 per life. I can go to around sector 15 without dying, but then around the mid teens the ships are going into some sort of circle patern. Sometimes they are unavoidable if you don't kill on first chance. They'll sweep you right off the board, no where to run or no way to shoot once they are so low.

It's probably helpful if you haven't ever played this game before to start on the B level sector 1 and learn how the different enemies react. The difficultly steps up gradually from the start of the game, even into the mid teens. I don't know all the names, but new enemies are introduced every so many sectors. Starting at sector 8 most are already in full swing, so it may be hard to know how each are going to react and how you need to fend off and mount your counter.

Tips:

1) The single most important thing is learning to move your ship in rapid successions of taps (just one grid over) instead of trying to move several grids at a time. 90% of this game is avoiding enemies not shooting them. The manual talks about this briefly. Play defensively.

2) Thou MUST learn to identify the yellow rejuvenators early so as not to shoot them. Don't sit in one spot and wait for it to drop on you or you'll be blocked. Spot it, move away from it, and then at the last second move back under it.

3) Thou MUST become skilled at torpedoing the big saucer at the end of the round. If you've got 3 or 4 ships left, it gives you some BIG bonus points. Use a "move and shoot" technique like you do to get under the rejuvenators so you won't be blocked.

4) Generally try to stay out of the corners, they are deadly.

5) When in doubt..... Torpedo If you get yourself locked into a corner, you can use a torpedo to blast your way out.

I'm definitly into emulation, I even built my own MAME cab. I just prefer to play console games on the correct console. In any case I'd give this one a whirl in Stella anyway, but I don't have the rom, being Activision, it's not available to (legitimatly) download.

I'll just have to wait until next week.

-S

I'm definitly into emulation, I even built my own MAME cab. I just prefer to play console games on the correct console. In any case I'd give this one a whirl in Stella anyway, but I don't have the rom, being Activision, it's not available to (legitimatly) download.

I'll just have to wait until next week.

-S

Like you ask permission with all of your other mame roms? :ponder:

I know, I know, we're all perfect. I personally don't do the emulation thing. Although I do own a Cuttle Cart :P

A new high score, and some of my strategies:

-Be patient. You're not under any time limit of any kind, so don't put your ship in jeopardy just to nail the last saucer. Wait untill it's safe.

-The chirper ships won't attack you, but they can provide a few extra points if shot.

-If you see the Green Bouncer Ship, you can move safely to a row which it just bounced in, since it works its way across the screen.

-The Blue Charger Ships can be deflected with a shot, but don't confuse them for a Rejuvenator!

-Be careful in the later levels, as the saucers will sometimes try to ram your ship instead of just shooting it!

post-1653-1106870660_thumb.jpg