IGNORED

Excellent AtariAge section in new Retro gamer magazine

Atari_Owl

Hi Guys

just thought i'd point you to issue 12 of Retro Gamer, a VCS 2600 special.

In it AtariAge gets a nice screenshot on p27 concerning 2600 programming.

The best is yet to come however with pp85-87 including an interview with Albert :) and a small section on some notable homebrews.

Kudos Thomas :) You get deservedly good press.

Hi There

The AA section looks good, the first page is the AA symbol with the title atari online. Then there's even a pictureof you holding what lookslike a 2600 game box but i can't make out what it is (not my expertise:) )

Then pictures also of the news and rarity guide pages and Thrust+ platinum, INV+ and Seawolf.

On a slightly longer look i see interviews also with Kirk Israel and David Crane as well as name checks for Kirk Mooney and Piero Cavina, and Xype

Yeah, I came upon Retro Gamer by chance in a Walden's bookstore. Picked it up for a article on Atari computer & Nolan Bushnell, as well as the cover disc full of adventure games. I love those old point & click graphic adventure games.

The only downside to the mag is that it is too expensive, being an import and all.

If only they'd make a magazine like that here in the US. Would love to see the old Electronic Games team (Arnie Katz & Bill Kunkel) come back to do a retro mag.

Albert, the Fry's Electronics up in north Austin gets a lot of issues of Retro Gamer in.  That's where I've been picking up my fix.

Amazingly I received a copy in the mail yesterday, much faster thanI was expecting. I haven't really had a chance to read through it yet, but I'll have some time to read it tonight. :)

..Al

Retro Gamer is  UK publication, which means their first focus is on the Sinclair Spectrum and their second focus is on the Commodore 64.  A distant third would probably be the Sega Genesis.  That is inverse to these systems popularity in North America.

The one issue I've seen had a really nice article on Atari home computers...

I recently saw issue 10 when I was at the mall. I was getting a book for a friend and just as I was leaving Walden Books, I noticed the magazine. It was a bit expensive but it did have an article on Infocom and on Dungeon Master so I decided to pick it up.

Both articles were enjoyable and it was interesting to see how Dungeon Master came into being.

I hadn't even heard of Retro Gamer Magazine until I saw this thread. My first thought was that I had better subscribe. That was until I found out that the subscriprion is $123 a year!!! Pass.

-S

:ponder: :o

Forget it!

Wow, that's pretty painful! I'd love to support 'em, esp. now that I got some attention in it...I bought one copy of an earlier issue from my bookstore. It turns out my interest in old stuff doesn't extend so easily to the stuff that's far from what I grew up with...despite my love for ZZAP!64.

Blame a certain someone in the US for making the exchange rate between there and here as high as it currently is. Great for us, sucky for you.

Current price of RG is £6, or about US$11. Multiply that by 12 issues a year and you get $132. So basically you're getting the mag at less than face price and the shipping for free.

But true, we don't know the meaning of the phrase "subsidised subscription rates" mainly because no magazine here (not even the "official" ones) are bankrolled by gaming companies.

Plus the fact there's generally little advertising per issue...

Blame a certain someone in the US for making the exchange rate between there and here as high as it currently is. Great for us, sucky for you.

Arguably not that bad for us, at least in the sense of making our exports cheaper.

On the other hand, you'd hope it would make the American consumer be a little more careful with what they bought...no such luck, we really are a hugely consumerist society.

But true, we don't know the meaning of the phrase "subsidised subscription rates" mainly because no magazine here (not even the "official" ones) are bankrolled by gaming companies.

I'm not sure what you mean by "subsidised" in this case...but I think the reason mag subscriptions are generally cheaper than cover price is that advertisers love a nice secure base, rather than relying on month-by-month sales. So for a lot of mags, advertising is the main profit source.

I'm not sure what you mean by "subsidised" in this case...but I think the reason mag subscriptions are generally cheaper than cover price is that advertisers love a nice secure base' date=' rather than relying on month-by-month sales. So for a lot of mags, advertising is the main profit source.[/quote']

Actually its because most magazines are published by 1 of 3 companies here and those companies also own most of the entertainment industry so production costs are almost nothing.

I searched all over NYC yesterday--about 7 different high-end newsstands with hundreds of titles, as well as Barnes & Noble and Borders--all I found were old copies of issue 9, a 'special' anthology issue of their first year, and lots of copies of their new sister pub, PC Emulation. :(

Someone post the articles--please?