IGNORED

7800 Moon Patrol/Jr. Pac Man

Joey Kay

Hey gang!

Has there ever been any documents found that confirm Atari was developing these (as well as many of the other games rumoured - I've seen lists online before) before the Tramiel take-over.

In fact, does anybody have any idea of the games planned for the 7800 before its untimely 1984 demise (aside from Rescue on Fractalus)?

It just breaks my heart to think of some of the great classic ports we could have seen!

Cheers!

It definately would have been cool, one of the reasons I originally bought my 7800 back in '86 was because I saw 'Rescue on Fractalus' on the box and wanted an updated version to the 5200/8-bit one. But that's about all I can suggest is getting yourself either a 5200 or and 8-bit computer, those versions of the games are quite excellent anyway.

I think SUPER MARIO BROTHERS was an urban legend that started when someone wrote VIDEO GAMES AND COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT about Atari releasing this game. I think they mistook it for "Mario Brothers". I would find it surpising that Nintendo would license a flagship game to a competitor.

As for unreleased titles, I've heard of these but I don't know how far all of them got along:

GAUNTLET. Ace Magazine reported that the guys who did TOWER TOPPLER did the 7800 conversion.

ELECTROCOP. This was shown at the Winter 1990 or 1991 CES. I heard from someone who said it was amazing when they played it at the show but I don't know of anyone who ever found it.

KLAX. Which has now been released.

SKYOX. This was shown on the back of the 7800 box, in a TV commercial and in a flyer. Not sure if that was a real 7800 game though. :-) Atari had a habit of showing 8-bit computer and Commodore 64 screenshows.

WOOD & WATER RAGE/WHITE WATER MADNESS. Not sure if these were the same game or if they were ever started. Atari had them in their price lists and talked about them, but I don't know of anyone who ever saw them.

TECHNOCLASH. Don't know much about this one, but there's a programmer on the net who has the 7800 version of this on his resume.

There's so much I want to say but I can't as I've been sworn to secrecy, and they know where I live!

Anyway, I can say this:

WhiteWater Madness: A disk with this name was found, but it had been written over. Obviously it did exist at one time.

Skyfox: A one screen demo proto has been found (which was probably what was shown in the commerical). I've never seen it but I got this info from a very reliable source.

Steel Talons: Supposedly finished. I wonder what happened to it?

There are a who slew of games that I've never heard of that were listed on the master list. Most were under development at UK publishing houses. Super Mario Bros. was not the offical list I saw, I would have remembered that.

Tempest

What Tempest is referring too is an annual guide put out by the Digital Press guys. It is a complete all in one classic consoles info and rarity guide (Huge!!!).

Anyway about 6 or so months ago, the DP guys aquired a very large collection of proto carts for various systems. Some of those were protos for the 7800. I suspect that what Tempest is hinting too...is that he knows what some of these 7800 protos are.

There were also some Genesis, NES, SNES, 2600, etc protos as well.

The DP guys have promised that it will be a very interesting year for us all...hehe..I really can't wait.

I sure hope protos of Crystal Castles, Moon Patrol, and Fractalus for the 7800 were found. If they are even remotely playable I can assure you I would find a way to get the money to get a copy or two myself. I just hope that these games don't become CGE2K2 exclusives...that would suck.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkR_7800Fan:

I think SUPER MARIO BROTHERS was an urban legend that started when someone wrote VIDEO GAMES AND COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT about Atari releasing this game. I think they mistook it for "Mario Brothers". I would find it surpising that Nintendo would license a flagship game to a competitor.

I agree with this hypothesis.

GAUNTLET. Ace Magazine reported that the guys who did TOWER TOPPLER did the 7800 conversion.

Did this become Dark Chambers? The sounds exist in Jinks, and Dark Chambers is essentially Gauntlet. Though, the dates probably don't match up.

ELECTROCOP. This was shown at the Winter 1990 or 1991 CES. I heard from someone who said it was amazing when they played it at the show but I don't know of anyone who ever found it.

I'll vouch for it existing, at least into deep proto stage. No copies found.

SKYFOX. This was shown on the back of the 7800 box, in a TV commercial and in a flyer. Not sure if that was a real 7800 game though. :-) Atari had a habit of showing 8-bit computer and Commodore 64 screenshows.

Thought that this only got as far as a demo, like GATO.

TECHNOCLASH. Don't know much about this one, but there's a programmer on the net who has the 7800 version of this on his resume.

I asked him about this, and no, that was an error. No Technoclash 7800.

-John K. Harvey

John,

UFO - Atari UK had that (as well as other games - I'm desperatley trying to remember the others) under development for the 7800. It was a licence based upon the cult TV series by Gerry Anderson starring Ed Bishop...

I'd be very intrested to see if it surfaces, as well as the other UK 2600 games I saw frequently at Atari UK's ofices...

sTeVE

• 4 weeks later...