IGNORED

7800 picture trouble

leearco

Gday. I have 2 pal 7800 and 1 of then is playing up. when i first turn it on the picture is not aligned properly. the top 1/3 of each picture/text is not aligned properly. it looks almost like there is 2 lots of pic./text on the screen. i then have to tune the tv, cycling through the different frequencies. this fixes it but then when i turn off then on again it happens again. the 2nd machine i have doesnt do this at all, even with the same leads etc. any idea what this could be? or how to fix it?

thanks

Lee

It's sounds like the RF modulator in your 7800 has drifted out of tune slightly. If you open your 7800 up and remove the metal shielding you should see a small metal box in the upper left hand corner of the 7800. This is the same box you plug the cable in that connects to the TV.

Look on the side of it and you will see small round hole, you will need an RF alignment tool (plastic allen wrench) to tune it slightly. That should fix the problem.

The other way to fix it would be to disable the auto tuning on your TV. If you have a newer TV you probably can not disable it though.

Mitch

Seems to be a common problem with Pal 7800's as both the ones i have do this, although i can use the fine tune to correct it. It is a pain in the butt when you have to keep pausing it mid-game to correct the tuning again! (thanks Atari for putting a pause button on the 7800!). I have found though that after its been on for a while it stays the same, of course when you turn it back on its the same routine again.

cool thanks for the reply. will give it a go. with the tuning, do i have the 7800 plugged in to tune it - is there any danger with this. otherwise it could be a long process.

i dont have the option of diabling the auto tune so will have to pull it apart.

Just use a plastic adjustment tool, you shouldn't have any problems tuning it while it's on.

Mitch