IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 3: Spider Fighter

Ze_ro

No offense to the guy that picked this game, but I really can't stand it :)

I really really want to at least top 40k points to get the extra challenge point, but I can't bring myself to play this more than one or two times in a sitting. So far I've got over 38,000 but no closer. Bleah.

Tips:

1) Very often you can put a quick end to a wave, and subsequently the entire level by starting at the left of the screen ( not flush left but maybe 85% there). When the master nest appears begin firing and move left and back out of the way again very quickly. You'll often be able to wipe out the whole bunch in about 1 second.

2) Sometimes the master nest will not drop any bugs right away. You CANNOT kill him until he drops a bug! So don't try. Just move to the right, staying out of the way of his firing, and wait for him to drop a bug. Then take'em out.

3) Always try to kill your targets by moving the same direction that they are, just stay slightly ahead of them and keep firing. If you try to stay in one place or move towards your target, you are inviting death.

4) If the master nest has dropped all his bugs and is heading for some fruit (up the right side of the screen) let him. Don't get under him at this point. Just wait for him to grab a fruit and nail him as he moves towards the left of the screen (again staying slightly ahead of him). You won't lose a fruit as long as you get him before he reaches the end.

5) This is a game of endurance above all else. Be prepared to put aside a large block of time if you want a high score. You can take very small breaks just to rest your thumb by killing everything except a single slow moving green bug. It will allow you some "slow action" time to blink your eyes and shake out your thumb or get a drink if one is handy.

6) Don't get discouraged and reset the game if you get down to only 1 or 2 blasters left. You will easily replace them as you go and be back up to 4 (the max) in no time.

Well, another score from yours truly.

And I wanted to say that I wasn't trying to specifically pick just more of the well-known games from like Activision, Atari, Imagic, and other companies like that. When I had picked it, I was pressed for time and I needed to pick something quickly, and that just came to my mind.

To tell the truth, I would've loved to pick something else, but I didn't know what I could pick. Next time, though, I'll remember this.

post-1653-1107585649_thumb.jpg

It's not a bad game at all! But any game that came be played for hours on end, gets tiresome as it goes on. I usually like games that stay under the 1 hour barrier. That's what amazes me so much about alot of Todds records. You stay glued to a tv for 12-13 hours straight with no bathroom breaks, no phone calls or trips anywhere out side of that room for half a day or more, that's some serious dedication! A 28 hour record just boggles my mind! I can't even imagine playing something that long nonstop. But he can & does.

I played it a little tonight, I was testing out some controllers & plugged this one in for a quick go round. I didn't realize when I kind of let myself die that there was a bounty out for 40K or I would have played a little longer LOL But I plan on posting a better score tomorrow. :)

But for now, I just wanted to play & post a score: 38,940

the fuit in the top left seems a little pointless - has anyone actually been so poor at this game to let the spider take one??

yeah, I let a one go just in the interest of science. If you lose all the fruit, game over, but if you just lose one, you get it back at the end of the round (in lieu of the extra blaster). Nothing great. snore.

anyone playing this game in the Plug and Play activision games? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the score goes over 900.000 (I scored about 1.500.000 when I first got it?) I will try again later today or tomorrow.

It's because of little differences like that that remakes and Greatest Hits collections and such aren't allowed in the High Score Club. If you want to submit a score, please play the game either on an Atari, or on a quality emulator like Z26, Stella or PCAE. That way, everyone is playing on the same level.

And this week's game is....?

Apparently, everyone decided that we should end on monday nights now (the idea being that people were often busy during the weekend, and wanted ot get in one last run before the end). I screwed up last week and ended sunday night, but from now on we're ending on monday nights and starting on tuesday mornings. So you've got one more chance at Spider Fighter before the next game is posted.

--Zero