IGNORED

How much of your collection is wild?

KaeruYojimbo

Since I couldn't actually play this morning while they were doing electrical work on my block, I did a little inventory and discovered that about 88% of my collection (including most of my rarest games) was found "in the wild." I'm wondering how this compares to other collections.

100% for all 2600 and that's about 200 carts

100% for all 7800 (except for CC2) Only 20 carts. I did find shrink wrapped: Frogo games and Ms. Pacman and Astroids.

75% of 5200 carts (as I got 10 or so with my 5200 system from a local AtariAge person.)

The only thing I got from e-bay was 9 A8 carts and a GORF machine.

It depends on what you mean by in the wild.  About 40% of my collection came from Ebay.  About 90% came from some kind of online source or contact, although a great deal of that was just emailling after I'd spoken to someone over the phone.  "The wild" is a very grey area.

90% + 40% = 130% :ponder: I wish I had that much of my collection. :D

Mine is about 50/50 at this point. The wild used to be much better when I started a few years back. Family was great to me too. Now I have to track things down here and on ebay.... :sad: Not as much fun as sorting through fleamarkets though. I have recruited family to help though. :D Im about to move to a big city so things will only get worse too. :sad:

I'd say about three quarters of my Atari collection (including the Jaguar and the Lynx games) came from eBay, the rest mostly found at thrift stores, and a handful that have survived since I bought them at a retail or surplus store back in the day.

The same also applies for my SMS game collection, but for the other consoles (NES, Intellivision, ColecoVision, anything higher than 8 bit), the majority of games were found either in the wild or were bought new. I haven't beed as adamant about looking on eBay for those systems and have generally been happy with whatever I find as I do my weekly thrift runs.

Up until about 200 cartridges, my 2600 collection was about 99% from the wild. Now that I'm over 500 cartridges, I'd guess that about 35-40% are from the wild and that represents pretty much everything below R4. I don't know what the breakdown of the remaining cartridges would be. I've purchased many cartridges on ebay, but I've built a substantial portion of my collection through trades. I've also purchased a few games through AA and from a dealer. On the hardware side, my 2600 collection is still 95% from the wild.

I guess it depends on what "collection" you're talking about. All of my arcades + MAME's are from the wild. Every single system I own is from the wild or events like PC. But, I'd say 300 of the 500 from my 2600 collection are from on line sources. That means 40% of my 2600 carts are from the wild but almost everything else is from the wild. (40+ systems and over 1,000 carts over the years)

80% of my collection I'd say was from the wild. Atari wise.

What wasn't wild:

All my 8bit stuff

Most my Jaguar stuff (3 games excluded)

Some of my 2600 stuff, ~10

All but two of my 7800 games

The rest of my atari stuff, my 2600 consoles, my 7800's

my ST stuff my video pinball, the huge amount of 2600 carts

all that stuff has been in the wild.

The rest (Nintendo, some sega, Odyssey2, bunch of commodore) was all wild

About 40% of my collection came from Ebay.  About 90% came from some kind of online source or contact.

Dude, that's 130%. Did they cut the funding to your school or something?

Well obviously the 40% from ebay is a subset of the 90% from "online sources".

For me, the common stuff is almost all from the wild. The rare-ish stuff is a mix of trades and eBay, mostly trades. I'd say less than 5% of my Atarri 2600 collection is from eBay.

About 40% of my collection came from Ebay.  About 90% came from some kind of online source or contact.

Dude, that's 130%. Did they cut the funding to your school or something?

Well obviously the 40% from ebay is a subset of the 90% from "online sources".

For me, the common stuff is almost all from the wild. The rare-ish stuff is a mix of trades and eBay, mostly trades. I'd say less than 5% of my Atarri 2600 collection is from eBay.

I gathered that after reading it a second time. No edit button though. :sad:

I suppose it sort of depends on your definition of "wild." If that includes private sales advertized in local (non-classic-gaming related) message boards or Usenet newsgroups, then I'd say about 15% of my collection is wild. However, if you're only allowing thrifts and other "IRL" sources, then... um... well, it'd be a single digit, anyway.

Probably 80-90% of my stuff is eBayed.

Yeah, I don't know what "wild" really means either. Any source other than Ebay? Just thrift stores? Just garbage dumps? All offline sources? Or what?

I just did a little inventory and was actually kinda surprised that only 8 out of my 32 systems were purchased on Ebay - I thought it was more. Of the remaining 24, 17 were actually purchased new from stores (either online or off; I don't think there's really a distinction there). The other 7 were acquired either through private sale or trade.

I'm not gonna bother counting my individual games but it's probably about the same ratio.