IGNORED

"Save the Whales".

King Atari

Me and Will were discussing this last night. Does anyone know exactly what happened to the lost gameline game "Save the Whales"? we both thought it might have been an environmental game. I have to express my opinion here that is somewhat related with prototypes, Tempest would know about this better than me, though: I think that some proto's were released in non-english speaking countries during the crash, so the company could make a profit while not losing one in the US. Me and Will also discussed how someone could have put the game on a Supercharger. The whole idea of a 'lost' game kinda creeps me out, protos are one thing, but a completed game is something else. We both thought that something was odd, what with all the protos turning up recently. I know there are more collectors, but it's almost unbelievable as to how they've lasted through all these years. Can anyone help?

I wish there were a ROM for this game. I don't know how the game was, but the name is interesting. I love whales and dolphins so I am interested to see the game on a Emulator.

Maybe there is somewhere the Prototype or a ROM. Somewhere must be the game because you can play it in the past on the Gameline. Or was I wrong?

Matthias

I would have to say that this game must have at some time been made as an actual solid state ROM, it couldnt have existed with out being burnt to EPROM at some point.

My bet is that some ****ing proto collector has got it locked up, only playing it on his own in a darkened room.

Anybody know exactly what it was about or was it any good? Sounds like a bunch of dope smoking tree hunging hippy crap to me...brilliant!

If work was ever done on this title at Atari, odds are good that at least one proto exists somewhere out there. I would guess that the longer a title was in development the more lab loaner carts would exist. I'm not sure how development worked at Atari, but I bet in very early development these games didn't even make it into lab loaner carts since the programmer probably just used a bare board to test the game in a real VCS. Once the game got to a state where it'd need testing and could be shown to others (say, marketing and QA) then it'd probably be copied and put into lab loaner carts. And of course, once the game was finished it'd be given to reviewers as soon as possible. That's probably one of the biggest sources of these protos--the ones that got outside of Atari.

Anyway, my point is that if the game was in development for any reasonable length of time, then it probably exists somewhere. Given the large number of protos that have surfaced in the last year (including games no one had ever heard of before), nothing surprises me any more. It sounds like several titles are going to be released at CGE2K2. Take a look at this quote from the recently updated CGE home page:

To date, we've already secured three titles that were programmed in the early 80's and will debut at CGE this year.  We also have several others in the works that we expect to have ready for the show.  That's not to mention the homebrew guys.

So that's three definite titles plus an unknown number of "others in the works". I'm not saying "Save the Whales" is in that batch (we can only speculate until CGE Services announces what the titles are), but there's only a finite number of prototypes out there and some day we'll get to a point where everything that can be found will have been. I need to look through lists of games that haven't yet been found so I can put together a short list of games I hope are revealed at CGE2K2.

..Al

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

One thing -- Save the Whales wasn't an Atari title as far as I know, but rather a Becktech game that might have been released through Fox had it been released at all.

Woops, my bad, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I always think of Save Mary when I hear "Save the Whales", so that's what threw me off.

..Al