IGNORED

Rip Off <-> Space Pirate

crc_73

I have a front plexi for a game named "Space Pirate", Cinematronics 1980, but have been unable to find any info on it anywhere. The plexi is very similar in design to the one for "Rip Off", except that it says "Space Pirate" instead, and the game instructions are tighter to the right-hand side of the plexi.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...r=&game_id=9326

It's difficult to say from the picture up there, but it looks similar with the two vertical yellow bands which should have sketches of the opposing ships and their point value on them.

Also, the instructions printed on the plexi concur with the gameplay of Rip Off in MAME.

I suspect that the game is probably the same as Rip Off. Is this something that may have been bootlegged for use in Europe (where it was found)? Or is it possible that it's an official product?

No, it's nothing like that. It's almost identical to the Rip Off one at KLOV, except that it says "Space Pirate" instead if "Rip Off", and is more centrally placed on the plexi, with the game instructions pushed over and squashed to the right hand side, running further down than the ones on the "Rip Off" plexi.

Aah.. I didn't notice it was all one piece at first...

Hmmm...

Maybe the one in the link I posted was only for the Italian market..

Maybe.

Did Zaccaria distribute stuff in Europe for manufacturers from the US or Japan?

This plexi definitely has Cineamatronics, 1980 on it though. Could it still be a bootleg, if it has this on it?

This is my kind of pointless trivia quest.

Any way of seeing a screenshot of that Zaccharia machine? The button layout is suitable for 2-player RipOff. But Cinematronics definitely developed Rip Off in house.

I think this Cinematronics machine has to be a playtesting version of RipOff under a different name, like ther names of so many other games (QBert, KickMan) were. I love all the Cinematronics games and there's no way that description fits anything other than RipOff. Maybe the name was changed to avoid conflict with the Zaccharia machine.

Is it possible that the name was changed for the UK and Ireland (where it was found) markets?

Maybe Cinematronics thought that the name Rip Off wouldn't strike a chord over here, being a strongly American term, and though that the idea of pirates flying around in space would provide a better backdrop.

I dunno.... just speculating.

This is my kind of pointless trivia quest.

Any way of seeing a screenshot of that Zaccharia machine? The button layout is suitable for 2-player RipOff. But Cinematronics definitely developed Rip Off in house.

This page has a reference of Space Pirates (from Zaccaria) as being a clone of Rip Off. Doesn't say whether they were official or bootlegs. No pictures either unfortunately.

http://www.tilt.it/deb/i-zaccaria.html

Well, I'm guessing the plexi with the name change was probably the only difference between it and Rip Off - the innards and the rest of the cabinet were probably the same. I think it was rare to have side art or control panels with game names back then, so it wouldn't have been a big issue to make the name change.

I'd be interested to discover if the instructions for Rip Off are the same as on the plexi I have, meaning if they refer to the enemy as "pirates".