IGNORED

Games we never would play again

Recycled

I was just flipping through the old Atari catalog from 1980 last night. Many of those original games for the vcs really look terrible. I used to have Air Sea Battle, Bowling, Home Run, et al. I have not desire to play those games today. I mean Circus Atari and Adventure are definitely classics, but many of the others looked down right pitiful. Are there any unheralded gems in that bunch?

(currently enjoying Venture, Astroblast, and Solar Fox)

I like all three of those :ponder:

Air Sea Battle - frantic and fun 2 player action.. You're down by 2 points against your trash talking buddy, the score starts flashing.. not much time left.. out of nowhere you pick up 5 more point and your buddy chokes and only gets 2.. good times..

Bowling - same as above.. good competitive gaming here..

Home Run - not a fan favorite, but a favorite of mine.. switch the difficulty levels to A and play with 3 split players per team.. It's a whole different ball game..

I like all three of those  :ponder:  

Air Sea Battle - frantic and fun 2 player action.. You're down by 2 points against your trash talking buddy, the score starts flashing.. not much time left.. out of nowhere you pick up 5 more point and your buddy chokes and only gets 2.. good times..

Bowling - same as above.. good competitive gaming here..

Home Run - not a fan favorite, but a favorite of mine.. switch the difficulty levels to A and play with 3 split players per team.. It's a whole different ball game..

Ditto on all accounts. :D

The early games may seem crude but they are fun and that's what is important to me.

Sounds good, but I play atari alone.  My son is only interested in my PS2 (and NOT the Activision Anthology, unfortunately).  My daughter is almost 4 and pretty much detests video games already.

Is it easy to score a 300 on bowling?  I remember my uncle doing it back in the days.

Teaching your kids the art of classic gaming, is certainly part of good parenting - don't give up on them yet ;)

It's ridiculous to expect kids to play the same old videogames we did. You might as well expect them to watch magic lantern shows and dance the Lindy hop. This stuff is old and crude. If a kid wants to get into his history and enjoy it then great, but you shouldn't expect it any more than you expect a kid to turn off Comedy Central to watch old Uncle Miltie tapes.

Air-Sea Battle rocks, I wish it had been updated at some point.

I dunno about that statement about comedy/etc that it even relates. A lot of the classic comedy is just as funny now as it was then, in ways even more so as much if it is genuinely funny and clever without having to resort to shock or language. Just as the 'purity' of the 2600 games gameplay shines through no matter what the pixels look like. You can't beat good gameplay.

I dunno about that statement about comedy/etc that it even relates. A lot of the classic comedy is just as funny now as it was then, in ways even more so as much if it is genuinely funny and clever without having to resort to shock or language. Just as the 'purity' of the 2600 games gameplay shines through no matter what the pixels look like. You can't beat good gameplay.

Excellent analogy.

-S

It's ridiculous to expect kids to play the same old videogames we did. You might as well expect them to watch magic lantern shows and dance the Lindy hop. This stuff is old and crude. If a kid wants to get into his history and enjoy it then great, but you shouldn't expect it any more than you expect a kid to turn off Comedy Central to watch old Uncle Miltie tapes.

I wouldn't expect my kids to enjoy magic lantern or dance the Lindy hop because I have no idea what they are!?!? But I bet my kids would turn off Comedy Central to watch the Stooges. Some things are timeless, some things aren't.

Atari 2600 = timeless

Action Max = not so timeless

What was your point again?

Ooooh, watch out talking about Yar's like that... you're likely to get a bunch of rotten tomatos thrown your way! ;)

Although I will say I never entirely got the cult status that game has. It's fun enough in small doses but I couldn't imagine myself playing it for over 10-15 minutes at a pop. Maybe I'm just not good enough at it... :?