IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 5: Popeye

Ze_ro

Hi there!

So how exactly is it possible to get a score ending in something other than 00 or 50? Would be interesting to know how this is accomplished.

Maybe together with the 100K bonus bug vdub_bobby reported?

Greetings,

Manuel

I just did it in DCStella too, using the bug to rack up 100K is against the rules, right?

using the bug to rack up 100K is against the rules, right?

I assume so.

PLEASE DON'T ABUSE BUGS IN THE GAMES! Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work (An example of such "Point Scumming": in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid, and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while skipping a lot of the actual content (For example, using the X-Ray cheat in Superman to prevent the bridge from exploding). Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process. I'll try to point out "forbidden" tactics as I become aware of them, but if you happen to stumble across one that I was not aware of, please let me know!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...p=572895#572895

371,550 almost to my goal of 400K.

no offense, sku_u, you are a long standing member and I trust you totally, but these scores are incredibly high, as an act of good faith could your next one be accompanied by a screenshot?

He's a step ahead of you, StanJr:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...p=798399#798399

:D

Ack I'm slacking... my project atari killed the 3rd stella chip (first atari to do this, and its not because of the mods), so one of these days I'm gonna drill holes and add everything to my Atari jr. Been busy with that and work, but I'm gonna play tonight.

OK, you're probably wondering why I'm submitting a smaller score than my previous submission.

I just found out today that the score I had earned was not, in fact, the true score that I should have gotten. I accidentally got it through a glitch which I had not known about untill today.

At any rate, I would like to have my current score withdrawn and this score used as my current entry. I was not intentionally trying to cheat, but nevertheless, I want to play the honest way.

post-1653-1108610007_thumb.jpg

Here's how the bug works...

I've done it several times in both z26 and PCAE - anybody wanna check on real hardware?

I can confirm this in Stella on OS X and on real hardware. It instantly racks up a score of 115,120 points, and there's an odd graphics glitch on Brutus when it happens.

So is this a bug, or an Easter egg? ;)

Here's how the bug works...

I've done it several times in both z26 and PCAE - anybody wanna check on real hardware?

I can confirm this in Stella on OS X and on real hardware. It instantly racks up a score of 115,120 points, and there's an odd graphics glitch on Brutus when it happens.

So is this a bug, or an Easter egg? ;)

Are the TG guys aware of this bug? Their second place score is listed as a derivative ending in 20, so I'm assuming they've never noticed it before.

I kinda suggest canceling this week/title?

Just my $0.02 - but then again I wont have time to play again anyway

If this was a Twin Galaxies tournament, I'd be right there with you on this suggestion, but this is just a few people sharing tips and scores. Since nothing tangable is at stake, I don't think that's necessary. I also think Larcen Tyler's 1st score should still stand in fairness since he was not aware of the bug when he achieved it.

The bug is fairly obvious to detect with the scoring glitch, I don't think the week need be a total loss. :|

If Larcen wants his score gone, its up to him, it can stand as far as I am concerned, he didn't do it on purpose.

More improvements from me:

133,950!

post-409-1108618314_thumb.jpg

I don't believe any score that incorporates this bug should be accepted.  It's a fairly specific bug and should be VERY easy to avoid.  It isn't necessary to cancel this week.

I agree. In fact, TwinGalaxies has a similar policy:

What If A Bug or Cheat is Discovered After My Score is Approved?

Even if your score has already been declared the new world record, please be aware that your score can be removed if it is discovered that a bug or cheat was used in your game -- and, even if you didn't know about the bug. As a game gains popularity, new bugs and cheats are uncovered, quite often to the dismay of the game designers. If you submitted a videotape of your gameplay, and it is later determined by the Board of Scoreboard Editors that your game strategy involved a cheat or a bug, then you will have to replay your game and resubmit your evidence without using the cheat or bug in question. Even though the player may have been innocent, not realizing that their tactics were banned by the Scoreboard, they will still have to replay their game. Also, sometimes new games become popular and high scores are submitted long before the Scoreboard recognizes that a cheat or bug is operation. The Scoreboard reserves the right to declare a world record null and void if cheats or bugs are identified after the fact.

Obviously we're not TG, but I approve of this stance, and I'll add a similar clause to the HSC rules. It should be easy enough to spot when people use this bug... since it will immediately throw your score to a non-multiple of 50 and there's no way to get back to an even multiple, anything that doesn't end in "00" or "50" will be attributed to this bug (Unless someone can find some other bug that screws up your score).

I'm guessing TG doesn't know about this bug yet.

--Zero

Small improvement.  I can't seem to adapt to the faster bottle speeds in the second pass. :x

These are what ALWAYS get me as well I am rarely caught by Bluto, and usually mis-time a punch when the seahag throws the faster bottles on the later rounds. Its always a timing issue as well. Stupid seahag! :)