IGNORED

is this a mame machine?

Osbo

It says fully licensed, so my answer would be... kind of.

I would guess it is using MAME to play the games, but they probably got the rights to the games.

A lot games you can legally download for a small fee.

Some games (Pac Man, Donkey Kong, etc.) you cannot.

I forget the name of the site that lets you download MAME ROMS legally.

If I remember, or find it, I will post it for you.

However, I don't know about reselling it. I'll see what I can find.

cool, I'm just asking because I went to cici's pizza the other day with the family and they have one just like that one, but not with so many games (ms pacman, galaga, galaxian, pacman, pacman junior, donkey kong, and probably another two more I can't remember)

let's say I legally pay for the roms or whatever, so is ok to charge $0.25 to play? I though that using mame machines to pay for play was a no-go?

cool, I'm just asking because I went to cici's pizza the other day with the family and they have one just like that one, but not with so many games (ms pacman, galaga, galaxian, pacman, pacman junior, donkey kong, and probably another two more I can't remember)  

let's say I legally pay for the roms or whatever, so is ok to charge $0.25 to play? I though that using mame machines to pay for play was a no-go?

Even if paying for the games WAS legal, I am pretty sure games like Ms. PacMan, Donkey Kong and PacMan were never released to StarRoms or anyone else for that matter.

For the record, I put just under $600 into my MAME cab, but that is taking into consideration the $300 computer I built 3 years ago and the $150 I spent on the dual X-Arcade joystick. I'm sure I could have built that same computer for about $150 today. And building your own joystick is much cheaper (and looks better) than the X-Arcade stick. I was just lazy.

Even if paying for the games WAS legal, I am pretty sure games like Ms. PacMan, Donkey Kong and PacMan were never released to StarRoms or anyone else for that matter.

exactly what I was thinking...

let's say I legally pay for the roms or whatever, so is ok to charge $0.25 to play?

Nope.

LICENSE.  The Software accompanying this

License is licensed  to you by StarROMs,

Inc  (StarROMs),  on  behalf  of  Atari,

Inc.  (Atari).  This License  allows you

to use the Software on a single personal

computer        for       non-commercial

entertainment purposes only...

-S

http://www.bhmvending.com/Amusements/Ultra...de_legends.html

it says that the coin door is deactivated, I emailed the seller asking if that was a mame machine or a special arcade. I'm sure is a mame machine, but I want to see what he says. Since the auction states is an ARCADE not a mame machine... :roll:

p/s I can build something better than that (without those ugly ugly bat style controllers, for much less...)

18 bids and ended at $1,877.

That's quite a few people with more money than common sense.

(I am assuming the same person didn't bid 18 times.)

If people are willing to spend $3000 for a new Galaga / Ms. PacMan machine from Brookstone (http://www.brookstone.com/shop/product.asp?product_code=375204), why it this such a big deal.

(Legality issues not taken into account)

I got my Galaga for $300 and with time, put another $200 into it to get it running and fully restored. But that's because I have a little experience with arcade games and know the right people.

We know how to make one so it seems like a giant rip off.

I also can build a top of the line computer for around $500 piecing it together from computer fairs, ebay, etc., yet computers of the same calibur sell every day for around $1200.

The point is, people who don't know how to do these things will pay.

As an update to my mention about the cab at Fry's, the first day I saw it it was frozen on the Darkstalkers splash screen, it was working fine yesterday (or as I was led to believe at first.) I tried playing Ghost 'N' Goblins and it was really choppy, so then I tried SF2:CE and everything seemed fine at first, so this guy I was talking to joined in on side 2. Whenever I held back (press left on Joystick 1) his controls got all jittery. Then the system locked up. I don't know much about this machine except that either this machine is flawed (or damaged since it is a demo unit and demo's in fry's tend to be heavily abused) In either case $2700 is crazy