IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 6: Demolition Herby

Ze_ro

All this game does is end up making me mad. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

This might be my final score, if I can't play a few games without becoming enraged. Its just a game, and yet it really pisses me off when I can play a very careful game but then lose about 5 lives with one crash. Stupid. Plus, there is NO rhyme or reason to whether or not you hit the car or it hits you (at least not in emulation). Sometimes I hit it, sometimes it hits me, sometimes we just miss each other entirely. :x :x :x :x :x

hate.

post-409-1109221320_thumb.jpg

All this game does is end up making me mad. :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  

Once the competition's over with, try playing it on game 1. Trust me, it's actually FUN!

Another tip: when you go around knocking cars off the track, go with the slowest ones, as they're less dangerous than the one fast one on each track, plus there's a chance one of them will take out the fastest one when they're bouncing around the screen.

post-3650-1109227418.jpg

All this game does is end up making me mad. :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  

Wait for the chase cars in the intersections. As soon as the chase car shows up (about two lines) hit the over drive and hit it out of the game. If you wait to long, the chase car will face you. If you hit the over drive too soon, it will it you. Is all about timing. You can hit a chase car in either vertical or horizontal lines. Works better if you are in an horizontal and the chase car is comming from the bottom of the screen. Also works better if you position yourself in one of the cornes and 'lure' the car to come to you, move away, as soon as couple of lines are in the intersection, hit the overdrive, works every time!

Hit the FAST cars first, then go for the slow ones. Complete squares two at the time.

That's all i've got :)

This game is definitely more fun on the easier levels. Like Stan, I get very frustrated when I'm having a good game only to get hit and bounce back and forth from car to car losing all my extra cars at once.

I've tried several strategies and the only one that works is "The Bashing Crasher". I even have a pattern that I use once I knock off all the chase cars (see below). The hard part is getting the cars without letting them get you.

post-1753-1109272425_thumb.jpg

I haven't improved much over my old score. I was just wondering whether or not some kind of ground rules/parameters should be set up for the inclusion of rare games in the HSC. Since this particular title is an HTF title, many people here probably don't own it and probably haven't played it. Maybe for HTF titles that people are unfamiliar with, it'd be easier to go for default settings. This game can be really frustrating at first. Had I not started on game 1 first, I doubt I would have gotten the hang of this one enough to want to compete on game 3.

I haven't improved much over my old score.  I was just wondering whether  or not some kind of ground rules/parameters should be set up for the inclusion of rare games in the HSC.  Since this particular title is an HTF title, many people here probably don't own it and probably haven't played it.  Maybe for HTF titles that people are unfamiliar with, it'd be easier to go for default settings.  This game can be really frustrating at first.  Had I not started on game 1 first, I doubt I would have gotten the hang of this one enough to want to compete on game 3.

That would probably be a good idea...sorry for picking the harder game. After seeing people maxing or completely dominating games over the last couple of weeks, I figured I had better pick the hard game or a bunch of people would max it out immediately. Guess I was wrong :|

I haven't improved much over my old score.  I was just wondering whether  or not some kind of ground rules/parameters should be set up for the inclusion of rare games in the HSC.  Since this particular title is an HTF title, many people here probably don't own it and probably haven't played it.  Maybe for HTF titles that people are unfamiliar with, it'd be easier to go for default settings.  This game can be really frustrating at first.  Had I not started on game 1 first, I doubt I would have gotten the hang of this one enough to want to compete on game 3.

That would probably be a good idea...sorry for picking the harder game. After seeing people maxing or completely dominating games over the last couple of weeks, I figured I had better pick the hard game or a bunch of people would max it out immediately. Guess I was wrong :|

I have a 3 day weekend coming up, so don't say you're wrong yet ;)

You definitely weren't wrong as far as I'm concerned. This is the most fun I've had in the HSC since we played Subterranea last season. I think it's great that games like this one are making it into the HSC. It gets boring when you can max out a title in a few tries with little effort.

I'm just thinking about people who might not have played this one before and how they might be turned off by a game they never played if it's set to the hardest setting the first time they experience it.

:x :x :x

I seem to get one good game and then the rest go to shit. I still say the collision detection is suspect. And yeah, its all about timing in those intersections, but no matter what you are going to lose that battle 60% of the time. Best if I keep ramming them on the straight-aways. :x

Slowly improving, but not that it will make a difference. :x

And no game is harder to get a screenshot of.

And I like to bitch

A lot.

;)

post-409-1109296685_thumb.jpg

You definitely weren't wrong as far as I'm concerned. This is the most fun I've had in the HSC since we played Subterranea last season. I think it's great that games like this one are making it into the HSC. It gets boring when you can max out a title in a few tries with little effort.

I'm just thinking about people who might not have played this one before and how they might be turned off by a game they never played if it's set to the hardest setting the first time they experience it.

Actually, I really like when people choose weird, obscure games. I mean, everyone has played Space Invaders to death, but how many people have taken the time to actually try their best at Demolition Herby? At least now we can say 17 more people have.

I also generally encourage people to choose the harder settings for their games... otherwise, you get too many people who just plow through the game and max the score right away. Judging by the TG scores, it doesn't look like there's much concern about that this week, though.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from trying out the other difficulty settings, even if it means your score can't be posted. Heck, it's generally a good idea in any game to practice on the easier settings so you can get the hang of it when you switch over to the harder levels.

The only reason I would consider adding rules about difficulty settings for rare games would be because lots of people don't seem to know how to actually set the switches and such on emulators. Of course, I put a fairly comprehensive description of exactly what to do in Z26, Stella, and PCAE in the Rules thread, but no one ever reads that anyways.

--Zero

9982  :x    

I've been playing this game to death tonight.  My wife stepped in and played and scored over 20K and it's the first time she ever played it.  Figures.  :roll:  

I WILL beak 10K this week.  This is a great game, BTW. :D

20k on 1st game setting or 3rd? If its on 3rd, she's better than all of us, especially for the first time playing it. :ponder:

I've been playing this game to death tonight.  My wife stepped in and played and scored over 20K and it's the first time she ever played it.  Figures.  :roll:  

20k on 1st game setting or 3rd? If its on 3rd, she's better than all of us, especially for the first time playing it. :ponder:

Yes, it was on game 3. One thing you have to understand about my wife is that she's really good at videogames. Just ask anyone who came over my place for our last gaming night. She's actually scored higher than the TG records on several 5200 games!

Yes, it was on game 3. One thing you have to understand about my wife is that she's really good at videogames. Just ask anyone who came over my place for our last gaming night. She's actually scored higher than the TG records on several 5200 games!

Woah! A female todd rogers! Scary

sorry for picking the harder game.  After seeing people maxing or completely dominating games over the last couple of weeks, I figured I had better pick the hard game or a bunch of people would max it out immediately.  Guess I was wrong :|

this was a good choice because most of the scores are so low it makes me think i have a chance!!

unfortunately i am so crap that i cant get anywhere but at least i wont have to play for ages to find that out like i did with Enduro!