IGNORED

My firstest hack ever!

Feralstorm

In the words of Hawkeye Pierce, "It's not much, but it's really nothing."

I was mostly trying to find out if I could hack game graphics with just my Amiga and a hex editor. Turns out I can, so I may try doing some more ambitious stuff in the future.

Starting Point: Rob Kudla's arcade hack of Space Invaders

What was done: tweaked the graphics for the middle two rows of invaders, changed the UFO graphics, and changed the base explosion animation to be more arcade-like.

I'm no threat to the pro hackers out there, but at least I can play a little. Apologies to Mr. Kudla for re-tweaking his work.

spcinvdr.zip

Starting Point: Rob Kudla's arcade hack of Space Invaders

What was done: tweaked the graphics for the middle two rows of invaders, changed the UFO graphics, and changed the base explosion animation to be more arcade-like.

Space Invaders is a perfect game to choose for your first hack. My first attempt at hacking was also Space Invaders. Try to do some wholesale changes to the graphics with a different theme. :thumbsup:

post-3832-1109212553_thumb.jpg

Apparently I wasn't satisfied, so I did a little more work to the Invaders hack, this time making the middle row aliens one pixel 'meatier'.

Also here is another 'mildly improved' graphic hack of Donkey Kong, which needs more than I can figure out right now to make it look right (mostly modifying the sprite coloration). I tinkered with almost all sprites on this one.

I tried hacking Dig Dug, and discovered that if I changed one byte pretty much anywhere, the game would turn to trash. Don't really know why (bankswitching? the other games I did were 4K). Would explain why I don't see much in the way of Dig Dug hacks though,

spcinvdr.bin

dkews.bin

Since you are just getting your feet wet and discovering the amazing world of Hacking, I'll hold off on adding any of these to the Hacks Database for now. If you have a particular hack you want to make sure gets into the database, just send me a FINAL BIN, and I'll see that it gets up.

Kewl, thanks. The Space Invaders re-hack is pretty much as done as it's gonna be (most of the hard work was already done for me). I'll have to see if someone can point out to me how to modify sprite colors on the DK hack (or just tell me which bytes to hit, since I'm hex-editing and not disassembling)

Other than that, I'll have to see if there's anything I can do that's a bit more creative than making games more arcade-like when they were arleady fairly close to start with.

I tried hacking Dig Dug, and discovered that if I changed one byte pretty much anywhere, the game would turn to trash. Don't really know why (bankswitching? the other games I did were 4K).

You're right that the problem is bankswitching. If you are hacking Dig Dug or any other superchip game, you'll need to run the emulator in superchip mode. The following command line works for Z26:

z26 -g6 dighack.bin

Good luck with your hacking. :)