IGNORED

2005 will be a good year for 2600 homebrews!

Cybergoth

With any luck, we should see some (or all) of the following released in 2006:

RPS

aVCStec Challenge

Man Goes Down

Reflex

Ooze

Colony 7

Four-Play

Leprechaun

Little Man

Homestar Runner

PoP

NotBD

Don't think I'll be skunked next year! :lol:

And, personally, I'm holding out hope for G'n'G from Manuel :ponder:

:D

EDIT: And AFAIK LoopCart was never finished nor did it have a cart release.

EDIT: EDIT: And djmips claims to have something else in in the works...

Edited by vdub_bobby

EDIT: And AFAIK LoopCart was never finished nor did it have a cart release.

983412[/snapback]

This is correct, the Loopcart is not yet complete, but I anticipate it will be completed in early 2006.

..Al

983416[/snapback]

So, then, Paul is coding again? Sweet! :lust:

Edited by vdub_bobby

• 8 months later...

With any luck, we should see some (or all) of the following released in 2006:

RPS

aVCStec Challenge

Man Goes Down

Reflex

Ooze

Colony 7

Four-Play

Leprechaun

Little Man

Homestar Runner

PoP

NotBD

We are now 2/3 of the way through 2006, and it seems a good time to revive this thread. So far it has been a good year with 7 cart releases (I'm counting Four-Play here as I understand it is just days away from a release), though only 2 are from the list above:

AStar

Conquest of Mars

Rainbow Invaders

Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission

A-VCS-tec Challenge

Lady Bug

Four-Play

This is just half of the 14 released in 2005, but then that was a particularly good year. From the list at the top, the following 9 titles all appear to have stalled for various reasons, and Leprechaun is still being actively developed:

RPS (essentially complete?)

Man Goes Down (stalled due to illness)

Reflex (essentially complete?)

Ooze (unknown?)

Colony 7 (stalled due to job)

Little Man (unknown?)

Homestar Runner (to be scaled down?)

PoP (stalled due to lack of sprites)

NotBD (stalled due to trademark issues)

The following 8 16 additional games have been started this year, and may eventually make it to a cart release:

CiE

Juno First

Hunt The Wumpus (EDIT: Stellar Fortress, Master of Arcturus, Battle of Midway)

Ruby Runner

Sudoku

Robot City

Arcade Pong

EDIT: Twisty passages (was Maze Craze 2)

EDIT: Medieval Mayhem

EDIT: Mantra, Jitter, Flow, Moth

I may be missing some games here, so let me know if there are any more? I am deliberately excluding bBasic games, as there are a lot of them in various states, and they are discussed elsewhere. I feel rather guilty that my own big plans for 2006 have not paid off due to travel and work commitments, but I am still slowly developing Juno First ...

Chris

Edited by cd-w

Well, LEDHead Football saw a very limited release in February. ;) So limited that I haven't received my copy yet...:ponder:

:D

LEDHead...

ROFL. Sorry, I shouldn't be laughing but Oops, I'm sorry but I guess that since there was a bug reported in a 'released' product. ( how embarassing ) that I didn't get around to fixing (whistles, looks down, aimlessly kicks dirt.)

Ok. here's the scoop. I'm going to fix the bug in the kicking game and rel-release the cart through AA for all to have (if they want). I can send you the cart with the bug if you want (I have one for you) or you can just drop by my house and pick it up! Hmmm, I was in Kent yesterday that woulda been a little closer eh?

The following 8 additional games have been started this year, and may eventually make it to a cart release:

CiE

Juno First

Hunt The Wumpus

Ruby Runner

Sudoku

Robot City

Arcade Pong

Maze Craze

I hope to finish Maze Craze 2 this year (new working title is "Twisty Passages.")

However, it's a Supercharger game, and a cart release would depend on the release of the Chimera. So I've decided to not release it on a cart myself, though I invite anyone else to do so, and no royalties will be required.

But I think I will retain the rights to other media. I plan to release it on a cassette tape and sell them cheap - much less than a cart. But I wonder if you can even buy cassettes anymore? Plus, a cassette label might be a little funky to produce with the uneven surface and the holes, but it would be kind of retro-cool to do so. I could probably release on CD too, but I'd use one of the little "business card" CDs. (If it is easy to print on one of these...)

If Supercat finishes his serial EEPROM cart, I will probably try to port the game to it. But there are lots of logistical issues in doing this, so no promises here.

Edited by batari

If Supercat finishes his serial EEPROM cart, I will probably try to port the game to it. But there are lots of logistical issues in doing this, so no promises here.

How many bytes are required for the maze? It might be possible to do a SARA Superchip version instead?

Go to Polylinecorp.com. I've done busines with them for years. They sell blank printable media, sheets of stickers for cassettes that you can print on your computer, etc. I may have a box of cassette stickers here too if you need them, we oculd work something out. Good luck!

An Atari homebrew on tape would be very cool (in a retro way) :)

Chris

Edited by cd-w

The following 8 additional games have been started this year, and may eventually make it to a cart release:

CiE

Juno First

Hunt The Wumpus

Ruby Runner

Sudoku

Robot City

Arcade Pong

Maze Craze

I may be missing some games here, so let me know if there are any more?

Seemo has Mantra, Jitter, Flow and Moth. Trogdor has Stellar Fortress, Master of Arcturus, and The Battle of Midway in development (plus a couple of others).

RPS is probably about 80% done, last I saw of it. The revised graphics need to be added in, as does the title screen music.

Hey all!

Ooze is stalled because:

Personal issues. (move from hell soaked every dime I had --still catching up and working lots of OT to do it)

That's the biggie.

Coupla smaller issues are:

New Bb environment will allow for most of the feature ideas tossed out to be completed. That means there is a game there, I just need to get into a space to complete it.

For some features, I'll need some hardware to actually test on.

Long story short, keep it on the list, there is time yet this year to get what I want to get done!

BTW: This community rocks. The moment I get some free cash (and actually get it in my hand instead of thinking I'll get it), I'll be buying some carts! Amazing work on these.

Just caught what Batari was saying about releasing on tape for Supercharger.

Will on tape capabilities be an option for Glenn Saunders Super-Supercharger? And is that the Chimera?

If so, that's huge, IMHO. Shipping games on CD for use with that thing would really open up some doors, IMHO.

Just rambling, anyone have any new info to share?

Man Goes Down - Seems finished to me, maybe there is some debugging left to the AtariVox part??? (Don't have the AtariVox myself, but otherwise it seems 100% OK! Release candidate?)

Reflex - Seems finished as well!

NotBD - looked *very* promising... sad if copyright issues would stop it!

Conquest of Mars - Would love to see a PAL60 version of it...

Regards,

Moderntimes99

EDIT Cybergoth: Pointless Fullquote deleted.

• 1 month later...

Just caught what Batari was saying about releasing on tape for Supercharger.

Will on tape capabilities be an option for Glenn Saunders Super-Supercharger? And is that the Chimera?

If so, that's huge, IMHO. Shipping games on CD for use with that thing would really open up some doors, IMHO.

You would not be able to load a cassette or audio CD game directly into Chimera. You have to first digitize the audio and convert it to a BIN (there are programs for that). This is largely unnecessary for the existing Supercharger catalog. The Stella CD has both audio loads and BINs on it, and we hope to ship every new Chimera with a free CD (unless you alrady have one of course). So even if you had the original tapes, you just file them away and don't use them anymore. For new games, presumably the BINs would be made available, even on something like a business-card CD, there should be enough room to make a hybrid audio/data CD ala Stella with the BINs on it. I suspect most people will want to load all the games into flash once and use it as a multicart most of the time so the original media isn't that important.

There are going to be actually 3 different ways for Chimera to load games. There will be a way to batch-load data into the internal surface-mount flash chip, similar to how Richard Hutchinson does his Vectrex carts. There will be a microSD slot so you can use your card reader on your PC to drag files to a microSD card and then pull it out and pop it into the side of the cart. Lastly, you will still be able to load games just-in-time via the serial port.

The internal flash is there primarily to support homebrewers for preloaded games (although it could also be used to store additional CPLD cores with groups of banking schemes so that Chimera can be used as more of a traditional multicart. The CPLD core sizes are pretty large so we want to try to have as few as possible). The microSD slot is kind of a luxury item but it was too easy to add in for us to not implement it. Plus, the loading process will be more convenient with microSD because it's got a real filesystem. The serial is most useful during development when your BINs will be hosted on your PC, and for transferring data to the internal flash.

P.S. There are actually two serial ports and both of them will be made accessible to the VCS for in-game-use. We've already run some successful tests with one of the ports if you check out my AA blog.

Edited by mos6507

My game "Raster Fahndung" is finished and will be released on cart very soon... I'm currently thinking about the items for a limied edition release. More information and screenshots at http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/

I'm currently working on "Encaved"- the game engine works fine and only a few things have to be added. The different levels are designed and implemented and I'm currently playtesting the game on emulator and real hardware. More information and screenshots at http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94235

Thanks,

Simon

I do plan to finish Littleman. I am focusing right now on getting my world conquest game up to a playable protoype level so I can take it home at Xmas for some playtesting with my brothers. Littleman will not be finished until late 07 or early 08 at my current pace.

Cheers!