IGNORED

How did the 7800 hold up???

King Atari

I don't post much on this board (I prefer the 2600 and Classic Gaming General boards), this has probably been discussed before, but I must know: How did the 7800 hold up in the late-80's video wars? I know, I know, it was a failure, but wasn't the 7800 in a race with the SMS to be in second place? Also, since I don't have an SMS, which has the better graphics? I love my 7800, but even I admit that the graphics were for the most part worse than the NES's graphics. So, please help me out here.

Actually, both the SMS and the 7800 were better than the NES. The reason that the NES games look better than the 7800 games is because Nintendo allowed their programmers to use larger ROM sizes and extra cart RAM.

Atari, under the cheap Tramiels, forced their programmers to make their games fit in ROM 1/4 the size of the Nintendo games. Toward the end of the 7800's life they partly relented and that's why the later games look a lot better.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

Also, since I don't have an SMS, which has the better graphics? I love my 7800, but even I admit that the graphics were for the most part worse than the NES's graphics. So, please help me out here.

My brother owned a Sega Master System and while the graphics are technically "better" than the 7800, I particularly don't care for SMS visuals as they use too many pastel colors and look overly cartoony. The 7800's graphics more closely resemble the NES and in some instances are better (look at Double Dragon for example).

I totally agree with the SMS graphics looking too cartoony. From the screenshots I've seen, I haven't been impressed.

quote:

Atari, under the cheap Tramiels, forced their programmers to make their games fit in ROM 1/4 the size of the Nintendo games. Toward the end of the 7800's life they partly relented and that's why the later games look a lot better.

Ah, I understand. Just going by screenshots, I can tell 7800 Xenophobe looks much better than the NES version.

The 7800's graphics more closely resemble the NES and in some instances are better (look at Double Dragon for example).  

Another instance where I've only seen screenshots (from Mitch's excellent site). From what I saw, the levels looked closer to the arcade, certainly more than the NES! But, I think that the graphics of the two versions are about on par (for the record, the NES and Genesis versions of DD are my favorites).

The one thing I like about the 7800's arcade conversions of Double Dragon and Xenophobe is the fact that they stay truer to the arcade original than the respective NES versions. I for one, HATED how NES arcade conversions always strayed from the original gameplay and added new levels and elements. Double Dragon and Strider were two games that were butchered beyond belief on the NES

The 7800 left the gameplay and level design alone for the most part.

Well, I know that a POKEY chip could be added to carts for additional sound capabilities (shame those aren't manufactured anymore...) and one could do more with the 7800 with addition ROM and RAM chips in the carts, as you stated. Just look what can be done with the 2600 with a mere 6k of RAM. Granted, the NES has alot more built in, though...

As far as I'm concerned, the 7800 has one advantage over just about anything else out there -- darn good ports of classic arcade games. While the focus on arcade ports hurt the system when it came out initially, it's nice to have that around now. For example, I haven't seen a better port of "Galaga" anywhere, and "Centipede" is just fantastic. You can find a good number of ports that are very close to the arcade games (true, the sound in "Donkey Kong" and "Donkey Kong Jr." stinks, but that's another story). Heck, even "Ms. Pac-Man" and "Dig Dug" are very close to the originals.

Besides, "Ballblazer" on the 7800 is absolutely great, an I haven't seen a version I like better.

For example, I haven't seen a better port of "Galaga" anywhere

Ack! You must not have played Galaga on a platform other than the 7800 then... The NES

version is marks above the 7800...

The 7800's graphics are blocky, and the aliens' movements look too mechanical. (AND the tractor beam looks hokey.) The 7800 version of Galaga is OK, but there ARE better ports.

true, the sound in "Donkey Kong" and "Donkey Kong Jr." stinks, but that's another story

Both of the DK games for the 7800 are horrible! I'll take the 8-bit computer versions any day (which were released several years before the 7800 version.)

Sorry Ethan - I have to say the NES versions of many of the classic arcade games are better than the 7800 versions.

DK, DKjnr, Ms Pacman, Galaga, Xevious etc were all better on the NES, however Joust and Robotron are WAY better on the 7800.

As for original games and library size, well the NES wins hands down.

Much as I enjoy my 7800, the NES was a better gaming deck...

sTeVE

From the 7800 FAQ:

CPU: 6502C (custom, NOT 65C02)

RAM: 4K, high speed (mostly VRAM)

ROM: 52K max

Cpu Clock: 1.79 MHz

Graphics Clock: 7.16 MHz

Slot Config: Most CPU lines + video/audio

CPU Avail: over 90%

ROM specs are based on non-bank select scheme, the graphics clock is the master clock used to drive the video chips

From the NES FAQ:

Processor : 6502 (using a custom Motorola 6502 class)

Processor speed : 1.79 Mhz

Display : 256x240

Colors : 52

Colors on screen : 16

Max sprites : 64

Max sprites pr. line : 8

Sprites size : 8x8 or 8x16

Picture Scroll : 2 h.v

RAM : 2 kb

Video RAM : 2 kb

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Hmmmm....

I dunno if I can agree with the supposition 7800 being better than the NES.

The NES has a real sound chip.

It has a higher screen resolution that is useable in games and easier to program tile graphics.

It has great sprite hardware and background graphic management.

It has RAM (!).

Its design was very flexible, and Nintendo took advantage of that by constantly increasing RAM and ROM capacities of the carts.

It had loads of great programmers work on it, across a huge range of companies, so its library of games is generally well programmed and represents some of the best titles and 8bit coding of the mid 80's...

It has Mario and Zelda!

sTeVE

Well, the 7800 FAQ hardly gives enough information to compare to the NES. as far as anyone could tell all you can actually see is that the 7800 had a slighly better processor and 2k more RAM but, the NES also had a whole 2k of ram dedicated to video display!

to make it simple, there isn't enough info to make a proper judgement. (YET)

Actually I got the SMS before i ever got into the whole classic gamming thing. I always had it sitting on a shelf and I never played it. but after I got my 2600/7800 I started looking for fresh meat. I pulled the sms off the shelf and pluged it in without any game in it. Just to se if it would boot or somthing. to my surprise it had a game built on! Alex the Kid in Mirical world. and after playing it for just some time I found that it was WAY better graphics than ANY 7800 game I've ever seen. I got two more games just to see if it was like, cool with all the other games, and it was! ( Small note. I have the Sega Master System 2 mor steamlined and I think looks less old) I think the graphics are better but only because of the above stated reasons. less game space on the carts.

I've just gotten the game Monopoly for the SMS and it plays just like the PC version just without the really fancey movies.

They built a game into the SMS?! That sounds cool! I might just go and find me one... But on a slightly more related note, why did Atari re-release the 2600 when they released the 7800? I think it was pretty stupid, since you could play both 2600 and 7800 games in a 7800, but only 2600 games in a 2600. But, if you only had $50, I suppose a 2600 would do. Anyways, I was going to compare my 7800 to my NES, but seeing as I only have three games (Galaga, Pole Position II, Dig Dug), the NES would have clearly won. I need some more games, soon.

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

They built a game into the SMS?! That sounds cool! I might just go and find me one...

the original SMS had Safari Hunt and Hang On, on some of there consoles but not all of them, i have 2 Original SMS consoles and only 1 of them has the 2 built in games

as for the SMS 2 i had no idea it has Alex Kid on it, kinda neat

From the Sega Master System FAQ

The following has been reprinted from the rec.games.video FAQ (statistics

by Corey Kirk):

Bits (CPU): 8

Bits (Gx): 8

CPU: Z80

MHz: 3.6

Graphics: 240 x 226

Colors: 52/256

Sprites: 16

Sprite size: 8 x 8