IGNORED

How did the 7800 hold up???

King Atari

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

I used to play a lot of it too, but in reality it really was awful when compared to the arcade. If it's all you have, then go with it, but I suggest the NES release or the version on Namco Museum for GBA. And of course, you can't go wrong with MAME.

Got the one for MAME, and it's great. The 7800 one, however, is still oddly appealing.

Guess I'll have to pick up the NES one, too. Geez. How many times will I have to pay for that game, anyway?

Yeah, I have Galaga on nearly all the consoles I own it came out on, and the 7800 one still has an odd appeal to it. So like, if new 7800 homebrews become popular, are people going to go with the extra RAM and stuff inside the carts themselves, sound chips, etc. it would probably be a bit pricey, but for NES quality games, it would probably be worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by Ethan C. Nobles:

As far as I'm concerned, the 7800 has one advantage over just about anything else out there -- darn good ports of classic arcade games. While the focus on arcade ports hurt the system when it came out initially, it's nice to have that around now.

I must have been one of the only people back in 1987 who (as a 15-year-old kid) actually liked the fact that the 7800 had some nice conversions of some of my favorite arcade games. I liked being able to play games like Pole Position II, Xevious, Food Fight, and Galaga at home for the first time. As far as the other games went, even though they were out on the 2600 or 5200 already, I liked seeing how much they had improved on the 7800. Most of the early 7800 arcade translations were (at the time) the best home versions by a country mile. In that respect, the system was satisfying to me. Some people might have viewed those as "old games," but I just felt they were "great games."

Interestingly, although people pointed out how the NES got better ports of some of the Namco arcade games later on (I suppose those games stopped being "old" after a few years, huh?), it's ironic how when Atari finally started getting ports of "newer" arcade games like Xenophobe, Commando, Rampage, and Double Dragon, they were all healthy improvments over the NES versions, too.

quote:

it's ironic how when Atari finally started getting ports of "newer" arcade games like Xenophobe, Commando, Rampage, and Double Dragon, they were all healthy improvments over the NES versions, too.

Well, I don't think 7800 DD was an improvement over the NES version, unless you're looking for arcade faithfullness. Although I haven't personally played the game (yet!), the screenshots I have seen have been pretty faithful to the coin-op. However, I'm sure that the game wouldn't be very easy to control with the Pro-Line joysticks. NES DD is very easy to control and beating up bad guys is dead on. As I've said before, The NES and Genesis versions of the original DD are my favorites. BTW, 7800 Xenophobe is definitely a HUGE improvement over the NES release. I consider the NES version the worst version available.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

I remember playing Galaga at the arcade a few times years ago, and later on the 7800, and I always thought it was a pretty good port myself, I never noticed anything different in game play, and the graphical difference I chalked up to a lower resolution (and the screen facing 90* the other way). I've since played it on the Namco Museum on the PSX, and come to the same conclusion. So what is so bad about the 7800 version to you guys again? Or is it just that better versions have come along since the 7800? I heard someone mention the speed being slow on the 7800 version once, but all you have to do is increase the difficulty (or wait until the higher levels), it seems quite fast to me...

Glad to hear that I'm at least in a larger minority than I orginally thought. My Wife and I, frankly, have absolutely played the hell out of

Galaga for the 7800. Indeed, at the higher levels, it looks plenty fast.

I remember the 7800 version...

1999 when I got me an Atari 7800 again, I got like 15 7800 games and I played Galaga to death!

I did notice though , the super uppity high levels, the motion from left to right does get kinda jerky, but man! They are moving sooo fast!

It's a good game for the 7800!

Clint

I remember playing Galaga at the arcade a few times years ago, and later on the 7800, and I always thought it was a pretty good port myself, I never noticed anything different in game play, and the graphical difference I chalked up to a lower resolution (and the screen facing 90* the other way). I've since played it on the Namco Museum on the PSX, and come to the same conclusion. So what is so bad about the 7800 version to you guys again? Or is it just that better versions have come along since the 7800? I heard someone mention the speed being slow on the 7800 version once, but all you have to do is increase the difficulty (or wait until the higher levels), it seems quite fast to me...

>>

if it could offer richer experiences, no one every leveraged that power.

<<

I'm not sure I'd go THAT far.

I think Tower Toppler did a great deal with the 7800 hardware. Especially the submarine sequence with the parallax scrolling. Looks almost like a Genesis game there.

But that's about all I've seen that's that impressive. I'm sure the 7800 could do more with more innovative programming and more memory.

The 7800 really is optimized for low-color games with lots of small moving objects over a minimal background. I heard that the people who did the chipset also did the original Williams chipset, hence the excellent port of Robotron. That's not really the kind of game that people wanted to play in the mid to late 80s, but the 7800 can do a better job of it than the NES.