IGNORED

converting 2600 Power supply to 7800

glitch

I was wondering if the specs of the 7800 power supply were the same as the 2600? I just recieved 2 starplex game-selex multigame selectors and was all excited about hooking them up when I got home that I didn't stop to think that I don't currently have 2600 hooked up since the 7800 plays games for both systems. The game-selex requires the 2600 PSU to be plugged into it and then has a jack that goes to the 2600. I was thinking that if the 2600 & 7800 PSUs had the same specs I could create an adaptor to go between the game-selex and the 7800 and use my 2600 PSU into the starplex.

Also is anyone familiar w/ the starplex game-selex? Can it be used for 7800 games also?

Cool, thx for the quick reply. I was guessing that on both answers :(

Good idea on the 2 PSUs. Now I just need to find another outlet. w/ 22 componants hooked up in 1 area I'm running a little short ;)

I haven't examined the game-selex closely yet but it shouldn't hurt if it has no power draw from it correct?

now that I'm looking at it again I'm not 100% sure I do either :P

What I was really wondering was if it needed to be plugged into the 2600 to complete it's circuit. But I just got done looking at it and it seems the cable is just so it can shut the 2600 down when switching games. I'm going to hook it up in a few minutes so I guess I'll discover anything then.

I think the game selex only has the power connection so it can turn the atari off & on when you switch games? So that isn't going to work too well with the 7800 no matter what, because the 7800 stays off when you cycle the power. If the gameselex feeds power to the cart slot, it would be bad to have the two different power supplies powering the same circuit. Probably cause interference, but at worst something would smoke eventually.

Thanks for the reply but it's actually a moot point since the tabs on the game-selex cart are thicker than a normal cart and it doesn't fit into my 7800. I really don't want to mod the game-selex if I can help it so I'll just have to find room to hook up my 2600 again.

If you have a 7800 PS and its dead, get an Atari Lynx Power supply, I believe MPJA sells them for about $3 each brand new. They are 9vdc @ 1a which is whats needed for the 7800...

Cut the tip and move it over to the Lynx power supply after you remove its connector, make sure to observe polarity.

If you want to convert your 7800 to a standard power connector, you can always desolder the existing connector and either hardwire the p/s directly to the motherboard or you can replace the board connector with an off the shelf Radio Shack one and replace the end of the Lynx p/s with the appropriate sized/gendered plug

Curt

If you want to convert your 7800 to a standard power connector, you can always desolder the existing connector and either hardwire the p/s directly to the motherboard or you can replace the board connector with an off the shelf Radio Shack one and replace the end of the Lynx p/s with the appropriate sized/gendered plug

BGMicro has a 9v 1A DC 2.1mm barrel plug power adapter that even looks like the 7800 one! PWR1167 $2.95

And the replacement board socket is PWR1137 $.49 or 3/$1.

Call 800-276-2206.

I modified one 7800 and I'm going to modify a second one.

I hate propriatory stuff. And hacked power wires can still break over time.

To the guy with the starplex that he wants to work with the 7800: Just get a 4 switch 2600 and you will not have any problems.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA