IGNORED

My Pong Find

8bitclassics

Well not a big Pong person, but I saw an original Atari Pong on eBay and wasn't going for much. Well I won the auction for $20 plus ship which was actual. Come to receive it, it looks like brand new. I opened thinking that I will just receive the unit, but I get the box, packing, manual, and the unit. Just pulled it out, the unit is in like new shape and the original pack in batteries are untouched at the bottom of the package! With the seal still on them. This thing looks like they bought it, found out how much fun Pong actually is, and put it back in the box right away and stored it. Anyway, thought I would a great find.

Corey

I don't know about that, there are some pretty cool, oddball little pongs out there from strange fly-by-night companies. :)

I've started to buy Pong units whenever I come across them in the wild (when they are in good shape, anyway). I've looked at Pong-Story.com, and it looks like they come in all shapes and sizes. I like having those little pieces of history sitting on my shelf. I came across an Atari Pong a couple weeks ago, but I didn't have enough money to get it. I didn't even ask how much it was. The guy selling it at the flea market was going on about how Pongs are becoming 'collector's items' nowadays. Which meant he would ask for a ridiculous amount, for a severely beaten up Atari Pong. :roll:

Thanks for all the replys! Yeah, I was collecting Pongs also, whenever I found one cheap, I would pick it up. But there is the video game store that I liked to go to, they had an Atari Pong on the top Shelf so I asked how much it was, and the guy said "The Atari Pong is much more expensive, you probably would rather buy a different branded model." What nice customer service. Idiots.

My kids (4 and 5) are just loving it now, I set it up to test and they have been playing it since. So now I am digging up one of my generics to let them play.

Corey

I bought a Coleco Telstar Ranger this afternoon. It's missing a paddle (they're detachable, by RCA jacks, from the face of the unit for no good reason) and the light gun was missing, too. Apparently, the gun's cable was damaged, so they tossed it. I wish there was a way to splice together an NES Zapper to fit in that socket. That thrift store had loads of them.

I picked up one of those years ago. Nice condition. I always hate when thrifts do that. I picked up the original Philips CD-I system couple weeks back and of course didn't include anything with it. Got it home, and didn't work. Lucky for me, the magnet on the top of the cd holder was just loose on the bottom piece, glued it back and worked great. I still needed a controller and picked up the original on eBay for $20. Not that great of a deal since that is what I paid for the CD-I, but not bad.

Corey

I used to have a fairly big PONG collection (about 50 or so) but then i realised that they take up quite some space and basically all play the same games (tennis, squash, hockey + some sort of skeet shoot if the console supports a lightgun) so i sold most of them, and now i only have 5 or 6 boxed ones left...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...