IGNORED

New Atari 7800 Emulator

gstanton

Hi all,

I've just finished initial development of a new atari 7800 emulator which I call the ProSystem Emulator. The emulator runs on the windows platform. Most of the code was written from scratch by me (using C/C++) including the emulation of the 6502 (Sally), Maria, Riot, etc. If you would like to help me test the emulator or are just curious, please go to: https://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton/

The emulator was unit tested by me on Windows 2000 and 98 SE. I have not optmized the code yet, so performance is still a bit slow. A 1GHz procossor is needed to run with sound and without skipping frames. Send me an email if you find any problems or have any questions.

Thanks,

Greg Stanton

gscottstanton@comcast.net

Excellent work! Glad to see a new 7800 emulator out there. So far your emulator seems quite promising.

Mess is too big for doing only 7800 emulation, and EMU7800 requires .NET which stinks for those of us with modems and/or a slower computer.

On my P2 350 I seem to have no problem with sound when latency is set to "Low" instead of "Very Low". I also could get away with 0 frame skip. Not as slow as wou made it out to be. Looks like it could easily be faster than MESS if you do some optimization.

For a first release this is amazing work!

This is nice. :thumbsup:

Always good to see new progress on the 7800 emu front. Spent a bit of time playing my favorite game, Ms.Pac-Man. :D

I couldn't get Beef Drop to work (read about it here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59998 ). It loads up ok, and I can start the game, at which point the background music starts playing and the level graphics and my character are displayed, but that's as far as it goes. The music just keeps playing, but I can't move, and the enemies never appear. I tried various versions of it. The pokey and pokeyless versions, older and newer versions. All versions do this.

But this is after all only a first release, and still a work in progress. For what it can do now, it's impressive. 8)

I've noticed that since I have a fast system, AMD Ath XP 2800+ with 1GB of Ram and 128meg Nvidia GE-Force video, that the timing ramps depending upon what vidoe mode you set it at.

If I set it to 1280x1024 at 4x zoom (default for my Windows settings, it runs Really fast, too fast in some cases. The Clock in One on One goes way too fast.

But if I set it to windowed mode, at 640x480, it's as slow as molasses.

weird.

I couldn't get Beef Drop to work

Have you tried adding it to the ProSystem.dat file? I'd try it myself but my NT OS isn't supported.

It starts, but it doesn't run correctly. The title screen appears as normal, and pressing a fire button starts the game, but then once the first playfield appears, the music just keeps looping and there is no character movement onscreen.

I couldn't get Beef Drop to work

Have you tried adding it to the ProSystem.dat file? I'd try it myself but my NT OS isn't supported.

It starts, but it doesn't run correctly. The title screen appears as normal, and pressing a fire button starts the game, but then once the first playfield appears, the music just keeps looping and there is no character movement onscreen.

Same thing it was doing for me. So I guess updating the .dat file doesn't make a difference. (I wont bother trying this myself now. :P )

Kung Fu Master still needs some work. The first graphic is a photo of the game running on my 7800. The second is of the emulator:

kungfumaster.jpg

That second one is not a screenshot from this emulator, Prosystem. That's a screenshot from either MESS or EMU7800.

Here's a screenshot from Prosystem:

post-4769-1109617332_thumb.jpg

Why would I use a screenshot from those two emulators in trying to describe this one?  :roll:  

This was from ProSystem using the ROM from AA. You must have a different ROM.

I can't say why you would do that, but at any rate, here's a screenshot of Prosystem running the ROM from Atariage:

Something tells me you're using a bad rom, or your bios file is bad, because it's worked fine for me just like this on 3 separate systems now. This one is from a Win2000, SP4 system, and the previous one is from a WinXP Sp2 system.

Oh, and your little rollyeyed sarcasm smiley can bite me. :D

post-4769-1109619245_thumb.jpg

Well, I created a new directory that only had the ProSystem files and Kung Fu Master in it, and it did work. So, I don't know what file it was goofing it all up, but it'd be nice to figure it out for future reference. No word on if whatever that file will screw up the workings of other emulators or games.

And here's a few more rollys since I like them so much. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Who said it was perfect? I certainly didn't. In fact I spent several hours last night and this morning testing it so that I could help detail just exactly what it wrong with it. But the fact is, it's 95% closer than any of the other 7800 emus to date.

I wasn't trying to embarass you. You're clearly doing a fine job of that yourself. Now as to why your rom isn't running the same as everyone else (I'm not the only one who claimed the same success with Kung Fu Master) I don't really know, Greg. But turning this thread into a pissing contest because your results aren't the same as other people's isn't going to help the emu get better.

Ok, I got it. It's not a bad rom or BIOS or anything like that. The problem was the ProSystem.ini file... When I first tried the emulator, I ran it from my root directory. Afterwards, I copied all the files over into my permanent 7800 directory. But the ProSystem.ini file put this line in:

Database.Filename=D:ProSystem.dat

Of course, it couldn't find the file at that location any more since it was moved to a deeper directory. BUT all the other games worked fine with this .ini file. Even unzipping the original files didn't work because that .ini file was still sitting there.

Try deleting the ProSystem.dat file and you'll get the same screwy graphics I did. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cool!! Thanks for sharing that. Potentially the best 7800 emulator out there!! I am not a programmer so excuse me if I am blunt but.. How much effort is invoved in getting ProSystem to work with joysticks? This WILL be the best 7800 emulator when you get it working with joysticks. Either way, nice work Danno.

Either way, nice work Danno.

You need to thank Greg Stanton. He's the author. ;)

exactly. I'm just bug testing like everyone else.

:D

Oh - and for the time being you can use a program called joytokey http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016823/jo...ey/english.html to map keystrokes to joystick commands.....

This works great for ANY program that doesn't have native windows joystick support. [/url]