IGNORED

that funny thing in Xevious

Joey Kay

Hey gang...

What's up with those funny spinning squares that zip up to your ship, spin beside it, then connect and zoom away before you reach the mother ship? I've tried shooting them, bombing them... everything! I'm confused!

Cheers!

Joey

As I recall, it was in the original arcade version too, I've been boggled by it on the 7800 for years...I know that right after it happens, one of those exploding balls comes toward your ship, and I thought that if you timed it right and aimed in the right spot that it might take it out, but I haven't had any luck. It looks like some kind of power-up or bonus something or other for your ship, like two A.I. weapons or something, but then they combine and shoot away, so I cdon't know...maybe something that was originally planned and then they cut what ever was supposed to happen out of the game? Questions, questions...and more theories just lead to more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

The mystery powerup is in the arcade game as well. Back in the day it was quite a mystery as well. Rumors circulated like mad about it shortly after the game's release, along with the rumors that you could split the spinning shields if you shot them long and hard enough.

*laugh*

I eventually realized the shields could not be split, but I still don't have a clue what those "power-up" like things are.

- FH -

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: Fourth Horseman ]

• 4 weeks later...

There is no ending, the game eventually loops back to the beginning.

As for them mystery sqaures, I always assumed they were some kind of enemy and by shooting rapidly I scared them away and prevented them from destroying my ship. I never just sat there to see what they did.

Tempest