IGNORED

Pitfall 2

sandmountainslim

I recently found a game called "Super Pitfall" for the NES at a thrift store. I had no idea such a thing even existed at the time. Turns out the thing is kind of a mutant cross between Pitfall II and Super Mario Brothers. (Pitfall Harry looks A LOT like Luigi! And they gave him a gun for some unexplainable reason.)

After searching around the Internet, I've found the game is regarded as a true abomination by most Pitfall fans, but I've found it to be somewhat enjoyable, if not anywhere near as good as the original games.

What exactly is the 8-bit Atari system? I was never as familiar with the 5200 as I am with the 2600 and 7800 so I was unaware that the 5200 version of the game has another level. That sounds pretty cool. I love Pitfall II as it was ahead of its time. We had a copy of it back in the day but it somehow disapeared. The feeling was that either one of my friends or one of my brother's friends took off with it. Thankfully, about 5 years ago I found a copy of it at a new and used videogame store where I live for $1.00. And finally, is getting the diamond ring a necessity to beating the game? I just thought you had to save Quickclaw and his daughter. Then again, the game just keeps going when I do that. He doesn't dance. :sad: I guess I have some work to do. Anyone have a clue as to how exactly you get the diamond? I just posted earlier that I've beaten the game many times. I guess I haven't. I don't remember this stuff from my childhood. I was only 5 or so when we had our 2600. My brother was the one who really mastered most of the games. My head is going to explode.

Anyone have a clue as to how exactly you get the diamond?

Here is a map of the entire playfield:

Pitfall 2 Map

It's halfway down on the left hand side.

Yes you do need to get the diamond. I don't think you need to get the rat. However since it's right next to Quickclaw best to just hang a right and get the rat...before the cat.

To get the diamond you have to make a leap of faith off one of the cliffs on the opposite side.

I've read a couple times on here about "frying".  Someone mentioned in this post in regards to easily beating the game.  In another post I read, someone said you could also do it to the first Pitfall.  What is it and how do you do it?

836337[/snapback]

Frying is when you flip the power switch on a 2600 off/on quickly a few times. It would cause some games to flip out.

I've read a couple times on here about "frying".   Someone mentioned in this post in regards to easily beating the game.  In another post I read, someone said you could also do it to the first Pitfall.  What is it and how do you do it?

836337[/snapback]

Frying is when you flip the power switch on a 2600 off/on quickly a few times. It would cause some games to flip out.

836564[/snapback]

The way to do it is, when the power switch is on, flip it off for a split second. Some games, as you said, flip out. One time, I believe, I started on the screen near Quickclaw. Isn't he on the screen on which you start out, only below the ground on which Pitfall Harry is standing? If so, I think I just started out below ground, right next to Quickclaw. That way, you didn't have to go through all those screens to get to him and all you needed to do was collect Rhonda and the Diamond Ring. You weren't able to get a perfect score this way, however, as you'd miss out on many Gold Bars that you collect on your way to rescuing Quickclaw.

As I said on Pitfall, the only weird thing I remember happening by frying that game was for Pitfall Harry to be at the top of the screen. Also, I believe a few times, he was a different color when I fried the game.

On some games, pretty much the only thing that happened when frying is for a twisted picture to come on the screen, accompanied by a high-pitched whine. You couldn't do anything with the game when that happened, though.

Edited by ulij20