IGNORED

new radioShack tv game switch box

xucaen

Hi, yesterday I bought a new tv game switch box from

RadioShack.When I hooked it up I can see the game being displayed, but there is all kinds of visual interference as well as static. When I disconnected the Cable tv from the switch, the picture cleared up a little but still not too clear. When I use my RF to Coax connector instead of the switch I get a much better picture so I know it's not the atari itself. Is anyone else using one of these RadioShack switch boxes? Are they all this bad or did I just get lucky?

Thanks!

Jim

I used to have a TV dedicated to my 2600 and 7800. I had a Radio Shack RF-to-coax converter that had an A/B switch to let me flip between the two systems. The signal was rather clear from each, though the 7800's had a bit less interference.

Now I have a 2600, 7800, and an indoor antenna all hooked up through a Radio Shack A/B/C switch to my sole TV. (I moved a couple of months ago and dumped a lot of stuff, including all but one TV. I also chose to not get cable TV due to its expense - thus, the indoor antenna.) Anyhow, I find sometimes that when I switch from the TV to one of the two Ataris, I get a black-and-white picture with no sound. If I go to my TV's setup menu and cycle it through the options (antenna and several kinds of cable signal), the problem fixes itself.

I don't know if that helps you at all...

Hi Nostalgic, I checked my tv's settings and I did have it set to cable. I changed to antennae. That didn't change anythinbg but it did lead me to try something else. I noticed that when I move the switch box around the interference changes; gets louder and softer. Then I noticed if I walk past the tv with the atari on, the static changes just like a radio. I figure there is some kind of tv or radio signal being picked up by the switch box. Why the darn thing isn't shielded I'll never know. Is there a way to block incomming radio and tv signals? aluminum foil didn't work :D

Jim

Get a A/B switch box. I have a RS A/B/C and it works great. Your interferance could be generated from a number of things TV, VCR, stereo, speakers, air conditioner, fridge etc... also if your cables are wrapped up with power cords and speaker wires you could get RFI/EMI. Just get the coax switch box, or do an AV mod.

Everything will effect them and attribute to interference.

Strength of local tv stations, strength of the cable feed, sensativity of the TV's RF state, ionosphere conditions, near by computers. Over use of shielding at the wrong points in the chain can make it worse too. Even temperature and humidity to a degree effect RF.

I'm amazed radio & TV work at all sometimes, much less as good as they do, all things considered. :P

Get a A/B switch box. I have a RS A/B/C and it works great.

Thanks! I've never seen one of these before. I'm going to bring the switch box back and try this one . It costs the same as the other tv switch box so I should be able to make an even trade. I'll post my results later. :)

Jim

Thats the one, I have an A/B/C  because I dont have an AV cord for my Genesis. You might want to think about that incase you get another old system like coleco or intelvision.

I got the A/B switch and it works like a charm! I hadn't thought about getting any other old systems. The A/B/C switch is only $3 more so I might go back for it cuz you never know. :D

Thanks again!

Jim

Now you guys are experiencing what retro 1970's gaming was really like. TV/Game switches do suck. They convert from 75 ohm to 300 ohm for the switch, then back to 75 ohms if you have a coax connector on the TV. It sometimes helps to ground them (but sometimes makes it worse) and ensure that the back of the can is in place. Static also can cause interference. disconnect it and short it to itself and ground. A static charge sometimes builds up on the shitty plastic on the switch inside. I have measured this with a static meter before.

I also use a radioshack ABC switch and the RCA-COAX adapter. The ABC boxes have better shielding.

RadioShack.When I hooked it up I can see the game being displayed, but there is all kinds of visual interference as well as static. When I disconnected the Cable tv from the switch, the picture cleared up a little but still not too clear.  When I use my RF to Coax connector instead of the switch I get a much better picture so I know it's not the atari itself. Is anyone else using one of these RadioShack switch boxes? Are they all this bad or did I just get lucky?

Thanks!

Jim

I bought my switch box at the dollar store for 0.99$, it works perfectly...never buy anything at radio shack...

RadioShack.When I hooked it up I can see the game being displayed, but there is all kinds of visual interference as well as static. When I disconnected the Cable tv from the switch, the picture cleared up a little but still not too clear.

Did you get a switch with a REAL SWITCH on it, or did you get one of those "automatic" switches for Nintendo/Sega? Automatic switches rely on the console to supply power through the cable to switch to the game input, and you will get the results described. They can't be used with a classic (pre-NES) console without a modification to the console.

Is this the newer style one that has throughput for both co-ax cable and VHF rabbit ears? I find on mine that a HUGE amount of interference is generated by those VHF clips, so I taped them together and that solved my problem 100%.

Well, until the tape dries out.

Is this the newer style one that has throughput for both co-ax cable and VHF rabbit ears? I find on mine that a HUGE amount of interference is generated by those VHF clips, so I taped them together and that solved my problem 100%.

Well, until the tape dries out.

If sticking them together fixes the interfernece problem, just solder them together and you won't have to worry about the tape drying out.

-S

I'll buy anything from RS before I trust the garbage at the dollar store. Considering I am boycotting RS at the present time that means diddly.

In the past the RS switch box has worked fine- no more interference than any other box, but the way to go is the direct connect method.

AV Mod is the way to go. i was able to get perfect colors out of a 220 ohm resistor, a 680 ohm and a 1k ohm (I think, I have it all on the comp at home). I'm already doing a couple when I get to texas, one friend from my other forum site, and Todd Rogers himself.

I'll buy anything from RS before I trust the garbage at the dollar store. Considering I am boycotting RS at the present time that means diddly.

If you like waisting your money...

The fabric cost of the crap at radio shack is about the same for the dollar store, 25 cents. The only difference is you pay an extra 20$ at radio shack so they can live out of your pockets.