IGNORED

5200 4-port expansion port

Allan

I was looking at the expansion port on my 4-port 5200 and noticed that it's the same exact size as the cartridge port. I always assumed it was a different size or at least the pin spacing was different. It has the exact same number of pins (although some are not used on it.) The cartridge port even has an arm with a hole in it on each side. This means you could use it as a connector for the expansion port. All you would have to do was get a small box with a hole in one end and attach a couple of nuts and bolts to it. Then you could access the pins through the whole. You could then mount a male SIO port somewhere else on the box. Presto! Instint SIO expansion port. You might have to had a little electronics inside the box but atleast the structural part would be there.

I'm going to try to rig something together to see if it will work structuraly. The hard part I think is find a small plastic project box that will fit into the expansion door.

I think Best electronics still sells the cartridge connectors.

Allan

• 3 years later...
I was looking at the expansion port on my 4-port 5200 and noticed that it's the same exact size as the cartridge port. I always assumed it was a different size or at least the pin spacing was different. It has the exact same number of pins (although some are not used on it.) The cartridge port even has an arm with a hole in it on each side. This means you could use it as a connector for the expansion port. All you would have to do was get a small box with a hole in one end and attach a couple of nuts and bolts to it. Then you could access the pins through the whole. You could then mount a male SIO port somewhere else on the box. Presto! Instint SIO expansion port. You might have to had a little electronics inside the box but atleast the structural part would be there.

I'm going to try to rig something together to see if it will work structuraly. The hard part I think is find a small plastic project box that will fit into the expansion door.

I think Best electronics still sells the cartridge connectors.

Allan

I have some shelled 5200 carts. Want a Pac-Man to tinker with?