IGNORED

I hate my JoyPad controller

Joey Kay

Hey gang!

Does anybody else hate their JoyPad controller as much as I do?

Because the base is round and not set up like the NES or Lynx pad "plus sign" with four directions etched into the controller, I find it constantly going diagonally when I need to go straight - It is inaccurate and absolutely useless for controlling games such as Asteroids!

And for some crazy reason, my Joypad will not properly work with Ninja Golf. My man will not run forward!

If it wasn't for the collectibility factor of owning it, I would have tossed it out the window years ago!

I'll take my ProLine controller over my JoyPad any day! (but of course I'd take my Epyx 500XJ over my ProLine...)

Cheers!

Joey

You know, I have to partially agree with you. I was all excited when i saw that Atari was releasing joypad controllers and was pleased to have gotten two of them in. I actually find them hard to use and somewhat less accurate for games that require really accurate control. My SCRAPYARD DOG woes almost vanished when I went back to using a regular Proline. The Proline is indeed an acquired taste (people who grib their joysticks will never like it but those that learn to tap will get the hang of it) but far more accurate than the pads. I've actually taken the pads off of my 7800 and put them on my XE. :-)

Still - I maintain that your pad may be broken. Mine works fine with NINJA GOLF.

Hey hey!

Actually, I'm certain that my Joypad isn't broken because I wrote a little program on my 130XE to see if it was returning values in all directions all the time, and it was... for some reason, though, it will not work with Ninja Golf.

I just thought of something... Perhaps if you push right and down at the same time in Ninja Golf, you're player will not run, and that's what I've been doing thanks to the horrible set up of that controller... Now to go try it out!

Cheers!

Joey

I've been having trouble controlling direction with the Joypads, too. I have no such problem with the Proline joystick, but I'd like to play more than about 10 minutes before quitting for the day.

Because of these problems, I've been working on a way to connect a Playstation controller to an Atari system. I've got a setup reading data out of the Playstation controller, and soon I'll be working on the first attempt at emulating an Atari 7800 joystick.