IGNORED

GameCube boot disc

Alright. Am I a dumbass for spending $70 for a Viper chip for my cube only to have this boot disc come out and totally negate it's purpose? I have to swap discs with my chip but the same thing would be needed with the boot disc, and that is free. Has anybody tried this out yet? (Artlover I'm looking your way) Just wondering how the compatibility with games is. The main reason I got the chip was to use the BBA to backup games but this disc also has that feature. I'm hoping somebody can tell me the boot disc is junk so I don't feel so bad. If it's not anybody wanna buy a Viper chip? Finally got my chip and games working well and now this. :sad:

Backing up the Cube is apparently been made possible depending on whether you believe the sources. But I don't know that any actual proof of working backups being made to boot reliably yet.

The Freeloader only allows you to load up foreign region games on US cubes. That's it.

There is no such thing as a GC bootdisc.

If you're talking about Freeloader, it's only for booting orginals of different regions, not backups.

The closest thing there is are alternatives to running GCOS bios images, like the BBA/Streaming method, or using Action Replay with a hacked memory card image or SD Card adaptor and a long AR code. And all these methods still need to go through the swap proccess.

If you ask me, I'll stick to the viper any day. There is nothing quicker or easier avaialble, yet anyways. There are rumors of a 2nd generation chip (no, not the RipperGC crap) that will direct boot backups. Hopefully by next month, more will be known.

Right, like I said.

There are alternative ways of running the GCOS bios image without a viper. Such as using the BBA/PSO streaming, or Actiion Reply wither either a hacked memory card image (which in itself requires BBS/PSO to do) or an SD Card and SD-GC ataptor.

The methods work, but are cumbersome.

tempting and confusing!

if there was/is a way to play GC back ups without buying a modchip or PSO BBA i'd like to know about it. reading about it here, xbox-scene, maxconsole and other places has actually made me more confused. theres so much geek speak, thread drift and bickering going on out there its really hard to tell whats up.

i'm pretty sure what we all want is this - a program that lets us take a gamecube disc into our PC drive, copy it and then burn it onto a mini dvd-r. then take that mini-dvd-r and play it on our gamecubes without any special mod chips, swaps or other fiddling around.

when that comes along please let me know :)

i'm pretty sure what we all want is this - a program that lets us take a gamecube disc into our PC drive, copy it and then burn it onto a mini dvd-r. then take that mini-dvd-r and play it on our gamecubes without any special mod chips, swaps or other fiddling around.

when that comes along please let me know :)

For that to happen the manufacturer would have to release it that way which is bad business. But I'll let you in on a secret. You can do that with the Sega Dreamcast, Sega CD, and the 3DO. So if those systems are you thing, go for it!

Cumbersome to set-up maybe, but once you get those aforementioned methods set up it aint so bad.

:?

Using the PSO/BBA method, you have the stream the .dol file for each and every backup you want to play, which means waiting 2 minutes for PSO to load, then running apps on the PC to stream the needed files.

Using the SDLoader method, ignoring the need for having custom hardware and the setup, requires you ro enter in a hugh AR code for each backup you want to play. It's quicker, no doubt, but it's still a pain since you gotta wait for AR to load and enter in, without a keyboard, a huge code.

Sounds pretty cumbersome to me. :P

So I should just stick with the Viper Artlover?

I can't answer that for you. :P

Me, I'm glad I got the Viper, and am ok with having spent $70 to get it. Not having to screw around with those other methods, which in my opinion all suck, was worth it. I'm running GCOS 1.4 on it, BTW.

There is no such thing as a GC bootdisc.
Yes and no. The Gameboy player requires one to operate.

Not even remotely close to what we're talking about. :P

Its required to "boot" a gameboy game in the gameboy player, so it is TECHNICALLY a boot disk.

BUt yes, you are right otherwise.

*hangs head in shame*

For that to happen the manufacturer would have to release it that way which is bad business.  But I'll let you in on a secret.  You can do that with the Sega Dreamcast, Sega CD, and the 3DO.  So if those systems are you thing, go for it!

Uh, no. Dreamcast rips have always had to be done on an actual Dreamcast. Originally it took a whole day through the serial port, then eventually they figured out how to get a BBA to squirt the data out at high speed.

The GC also has a wierd disc format that it is unlikely you will get a regular drive to read, unless you're a total el33te DVD-ROM dr1ve f3rmwar3z haxx0r. With nothing better to do. So GC "backups" have to be done on a real GC, out the Ethernet adapter at a mellow 27MBps (the max GC networking speed).

Cumbersome to set-up maybe, but once you get those aforementioned methods set up it aint so bad.

:?

Using the PSO/BBA method, you have the stream the .dol file for each and every backup you want to play, which means waiting 2 minutes for PSO to load, then running apps on the PC to stream the needed files.

Using the SDLoader method, ignoring the need for having custom hardware and the setup, requires you ro enter in a hugh AR code for each backup you want to play. It's quicker, no doubt, but it's still a pain since you gotta wait for AR to load and enter in, without a keyboard, a huge code.

Sounds pretty cumbersome to me. :P

Bah just admit it your lazy... ;)

Really though.... If you played two games in a 1hr period that is only 4 minutes out of 60 wasted with this cumbersome method. It only gets irritation when alot of DRE's occur. But I've only had that happen with one game so far.

For that to happen the manufacturer would have to release it that way which is bad business.  But I'll let you in on a secret.  You can do that with the Sega Dreamcast, Sega CD, and the 3DO.  So if those systems are you thing, go for it!

Uh, no. Dreamcast rips have always had to be done on an actual Dreamcast. Originally it took a whole day through the serial port, then eventually they figured out how to get a BBA to squirt the data out at high speed.

The GC also has a wierd disc format that it is unlikely you will get a regular drive to read, unless you're a total el33te DVD-ROM dr1ve f3rmwar3z haxx0r. With nothing better to do. So GC "backups" have to be done on a real GC, out the Ethernet adapter at a mellow 27MBps (the max GC networking speed).

Uhh I was actually referring to the process of burning a "backup" and more specifically "booting" that backup on said machine.

Much easier on the dreamcast than the gamecube.