IGNORED

Atari 8-bit @ 14 MHz

miker

wow, an ambitious project and it actually works! I know stuff like thi s

was proposed in the late 80's early 90's and even some software was

created to work with the 65816 cpu, but it never really materialized into

anything viable.

This mod is really impressive. It make's me wonder what could of been

if this could of been developed 16 years ago or so... who knows??!!??

--Kevin

In fact only the proc is 14 MHz. The bus is still 1,77 MHz, and for now, only standard memory is boosted. The data is written to standard memory and to SRAM on the card. And it's read only from SRAM memory.

Note: in this example memory is only "cached" - there's no really turbo mode on. Otherwise the screen resolution may be 4 times higher. :party:

Yes - this is card based on 65c816 proc - for now it's only prototype, due to several difficuties in the installing process - the uprgrade may behave vary in another machine.

And a word for those who do'nt believe it: It's not a joke!

just to correct one of the previous postees (re: 65816 u/g)

The original 65816 and o/s upgrade was done by Chuck Steinmann c/o Dataque (he also was responsible for the first 'stereo pokey' upgrade called gumby) apparently, so the story goes Atari C. themselves were offered this upgrade, but turned it down (they wanted too bigger slice of the cost, as the upgrade use a modified Atari o/s)) those were the original 'official' reasons, i guess the other reason's being the processor itself (Atari originally designed it, and sold it of to wdc) and secondly people thought that it might be compatible with the st (an impossibility), and Atari didnt feel like associate itself with a product that might cut into ST sales

as a result the product was held back for a year whilst steinmann was writing a new O/S, the fabled 'turbo' o/s, from what i understand the early versions were a bit buggy, only the later versions were okay, the upgrade apparently worked ok but nothing special on a standard a8 (unless you had the o/s u/g as wel)l it was ram upgradeable thru simm's if mem. serves me right, cant rem. what the ram cap. was

The turbo 816 as the unit was known as, was to that being the centrepiece for extending the a8 platform as he (steinmann) had plans to build tower versions of the a8 to carry hard drives and also 1.4 and 720k d/d's, plus the turbo 816 os and proc., and hack jobs for the then pc sound and graphics cards and somehow merge them into the atari mem.map and address space, the syatem had a built in sytandard atari xl/xe mode with bolt on atari 800 mode (for incomp. 800 software)

Also the turbo 816 was supossedly atari 800 compatible

I trust that this clear things up

Alas I cannot seem to watch this .avi - My DIVX palyer says it is not the right file - Windows Media player plays audio but no video :(

Dude, you're still using Windows Media Player?

Media Player Classic is what all the cool kids are using.

I know - I get M$ ads all the time - but typical M$ products it seems to work for you but not me :(

This is awesome! I just want to know... how / what program do you use to create music like that for the A800? That stuff rocks (humming tune in my head!)

Most Polish demos have music made with MPT (Music ProTracker), a nice proggy that was made by Adam Bienias (SoTe/Slight) in the beginning of the 90s (it was never finished, but the author decided to release it freely). The player was buggy a little, but then other peaple (Jaskier, Fox) have written the corrected players, so it works well know.

Well i like the prog myself and use it even today. :)

post-4727-1110534873_thumb.jpg

I know - I get M$ ads all the time - but typical M$ products it seems to work for you but not me :(

Media Player Classic isn't a Microsoft product.

And it only works if you install the version for your OS.

I noticed avter my msg - I installed it and same problem

So let me ask a different question - is there picture video with that download or just music? I hear the music but no pictures.

No biggie, Im sure I will see something more in the future :)

I noticed avter my msg - I installed it and same problem

So let me ask a different question - is there picture video with that download or just music?  I hear the music but no pictures.

No biggie, Im sure I will see something more in the future :)

Maybe you have not installed codec for this? Some times ago I had same problem with other movie - search google for codecs and - probably - your problem will be unactual ;)

Nice freebie.

But, there must be something different wrong, when DIVX (5.2.1.) is installed and the Mediaplayer (or DIVX-Player) does not show the video.

I installed DivX and it still wouldn't play. So, I uninstalled it and installed the ffdshow codec and suddenly it did. I'd be interested to see if it worked for anyone else.

-Bry