IGNORED

Luigi's Lunchbreak

Feralstorm

The pitch:

After a long morning clearing out sewer pests with his brother Mario, Luigi takes his lunchbreak, which unfortunately lasts only twenty minutes. He searches the vast sewer system for the sandwiches, coins, and beers he stashed around the place beforehand. In the search, he has to avoid the Shellcreepers, Sidesteppers, and Slipices (many of whom are also on break, so they don't chase you much, but watch out for those albino scorpions from another game!) Luigi also has to cross dangerous and unpredictable water reclimation pits, sometimes by swinging on a chain or hopping across the heads of nast sewer gators. Help Luigi reclaim his lunch and make the most of his lunchbreak!

Hack of: Pitfall

Thanks to: Nukey Shay, for making a version which didn't screw up the pits if Harry's colors are changed.

Modifications: Pretty much all sprites and colors changed, except scorpions, shooting for a Super Mario-ish feel. Some cosmetic playfield tweaks, sounds tweaked (probably for the worse). Slight gameplay mods, related to changed sprites (jumping over things slightly tougher due to fatter sprite, pits/holes a bit more forgiving for the same reason.)

That was work!

lunchbrk.bin

Why not change the scorpion into FighterFly? :D

BTW you can make other objects move as well...here's a quick edit that moves the fire and cobra objects too! :) Just grab 3 lines and move them further up...

Thomas' version:

; animate, bounce and move rolling logs:

;3 new lines

LDA  objectType    ;3

CMP  #$05          ;2 skip ahead if

BCS  NEWTAG        ;2³ not logs

lda  xPosObject    ;3

asl                ;2

asl                ;2

asl                ;2

and  #$30          ;2 rolling logs bounce for..

cmp  #$30          ;2 ..2 pixel every 8th x-pos

and  #$10          ;2

adc  objPatPtr     ;3

sta  objPatPtr     ;3

;added tag

NEWTAG:

lda  frameCnt      ;3

lsr                ;2 move logs every 2nd frame

bcs  .skipLogs     ;2³

;3 deleted lines
;    lda  objectType    ;3
;    cmp  #ID_STATIONARY;2 rolling logs scene?
;    bcs  .skipLogs     ;2³ no, skip move

;standard disassembly version:

LFA30: LDA    $9E    ;3

BNE    LFA60  ;2

LDA    LFFEE,Y;4

BNE    LFA60  ;2

CPY    #$05   ;2

BEQ    LFA60  ;2

;3 added lines

LDA    $93    ;3

CMP    #$05   ;2

BCS    NEWTAG ;2

LDA    $E2    ;3

ASL           ;2

ASL           ;2

ASL           ;2

AND    #$30   ;2

CMP    #$30   ;2

AND    #$10   ;2

ADC    $B7    ;3

STA    $B7    ;3

;added tag

NEWTAG:

LDA    $D3    ;3

LSR           ;2

BCS    LFA60  ;2

;3 deleted lines
;       LDA    $93    ;3
;       CMP    #$04   ;2
;       BCS    LFA60  ;2

• Like 1

Changing the code to modify how things move is a little beyond my scope with a hex editor for the time being.

I kept the scorpion mostly as-is because I really like the scorp, and all my attempts at an 8-pixel-wide fighterfly looked notably bad. (hence it became the slipice, whose 'shiver' fit the flickery animation used for the stationary objects quite well.)

I did change some of the audio, just not all of it. The jump noise is a little deeper than the normal pitfall sound. I was just happy I could get something recognizable editing the musical bits.

I had more than one idea for Pitfall hacks, so maybe I can incorporate some of this stuff into the other one I'm working on.

Great hack! The only thing I would change is maybe the "timeframe". By the coloring scheme, it looks more like 'MIDNIGHTSNACK' or NIGHTIMESNACK' then 'LUNCHBREAK'. Maybe even change the 'story' backdrop from taking lunch mid-day, to working the night (or Graveyard) Shift and Luigi's feeling hungry.

-Trebor

Great hack!  The only thing I would change is maybe the "timeframe".  By the coloring scheme, it looks more like 'MIDNIGHTSNACK' or NIGHTIMESNACK' then 'LUNCHBREAK'.  Maybe even change the 'story' backdrop from taking lunch mid-day, to working the night (or Graveyard) Shift and Luigi's feeling hungry.

-Trebor

I'm thinking he's in a sewer so even if it's noon its gonna be dark. If anything I'd just loose the tree trunks (If possible)

Great looking hack BTW!!!

I did change the treetops, with the intent of looking like pipes (straight with a knob/wheel/valve on one side) but it didn't come off quite so well once the "treetop" playfield was laid over top.

Moycon only likes my hack 'cuz there's a big sandwich in it. :)

I did change the treetops' date=' with the intent of looking like pipes (straight with a knob/wheel/valve on one side) but it didn't come off quite so well once the "treetop" playfield was laid over top.

Moycon only likes my hack 'cuz there's a big sandwich in it. :)[/quote']

LOL I did see that! Good job! Yes I like Nukeys idea about making the trees look like pipes.

Yeap..this is a pretty cool hack. I still think the background looks too much like trees still. And I like how much easier the altered Krock heads are to jump on.

However, that Firefly I am convinced is impossible to jump over! I never was able to find the proper spot to jump over and make it. Either I waited to long and he got me before the jump. Or I would jump and look like I would be safe, only to have him hit me on the landing just barely...ugh.

But the graphical enhancements are really something! It would be interesting just to see Pitfall redone with altered graphics, but still be pitfall. The new shaded scorpion and other items would look really good. And that spinning coin you have is awesome!

Yup, Nukey did a nifty job with Bottomless Pitfall. I was thinking about basing one of my two Pitfall hacks on that version, so there would be some greater differences in gameplay between the two, but it was much easier to work from a base that I already learned once.

It's definitely not impossible to jump over the fighterfly, as I've done it several times. I can't do it consistently though, like I can with the scorp. It just means one of two things - either readjust to the tougher jump timing, or reevaluate just how much you wanna do basement shortcuts.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned that in this hack, if you do the standard thing of running through the game to the left, Luigi is guaranteed to get nailed by a turtle every now and then (the nature of the 'fatter' sprites) :)