IGNORED

Idea for an Atari 800/xl/e or c64 flashback type device

carmel_andrews

an Atari 800/xl/e or c64 flashback type device

The main hardware would be no bigger then 3, 1.4 meg disk mech’s (3.5inch type). on top of eachother

The first 2/3rds of the space would be taken up by the hardware electronics (including the emulator) the emulator itself will be on flashrom/ram, so that it can be easily updated automatically, the last 3rd of the space will be taken up by a 3.5 inch disk mech for loading in software

So far as the firmware is concerned will include, built in basic, and/or assembler , built in Dos (Atari/mydos or c64 equiv) and various emulation versions, i.e 800, xl, xe (or c64/v20, c128 equiv) and, mem sizes up to 1-2 meg, the cartridge port will form part of the PCB it will have slightly protruded housing for holding the cartridge in place

Connections at the back will be the following, 1, usb-keyboard connector, 2 IDE or USB connector (for connecting h/d’s or CD/DVD drives) 3, USB i/o connector for connection to usb to original i/o connector (i.e, usb-sio, or usb-c64/128 i/o), allowing the user to attach original i/o devices to his system, 4, pc and standard Atari/c64 joystick conn’s, 5, a commslink, either Atari lynx type or usb/firewire

The Keyboard itself will be a condensed version of the original (slightly smaller then a notebook keyboard) properly emulated

Software to be supplied on following formats, 3.5’ 1.4meg, 720k, CD and/or DVD (if the cd/dvd format proves popular)

Will encourage companies to re-release software on new disk format as value compilations (selling for between 5-10 GBP per piece of s/w), and due to the extended mem. Capacities and storage capacities will lead to new complex, better designed disk based games, cartridge format will also be supported, this will also lead to new 3rd software developments, due to improved i/o storage capacity support

The h/w emulator will be able to support new versions of hardware chip set (when released), new CPU’s (such as 65816 etc) and additional memory support thru SIMMs (in updated versions)

Typical price would be 25 GBP 1meg, 30 GBP 1 meg and k/b, 40 GBP 2meg and k/b, the various i/o connectors/adapters etc would be available as accessories that you can buy