IGNORED

out run

cgfatari79

Some "impressions"...

It looks, as Turbo Outrun uses one Charset on the C64 , even it is more complex.

If you might see, at the "chars" Screen, less than 256 different chars are on the screen.

G2F uses 3 chars for this, because it calculates with the DLI...

Having a look at the "Car range", less than 120 Chars are needed to rebuild this.

The green marked shows, where repetitive chars could be used.

The "brown floor" can be done by using the PM shapes changed at the DLI every 8th Scanline...

Again.. on the charts screen, you may recognize that several chars are still used multiple times.

So you have to change "some Chars char-memory", to change "huge" areas on the screen.

Some Chars will never change, but they need to be places on the screen. Having a look at the Trees, even here multiple chars could be re-used even after a "zoom" of the object.

The street could be build with approx. 9 chars (per charset) for the white lines and to build the border of the street...

I am very shure, that this is possible with more than 12 fps.

Anyway to make the car look red ;)

ofcourse... ;)

The "real" game screen has a resolution of 152x160 pixels.

This means 19 DLI's to use.

To save some cpu-cycles, the scoreboard could be done in antic e or f with a 20th dli for player positioning.

The screen shows "only" charmode antic "4" with two (by dli) splitted colours... no PM is used here.

If that could be turned into a game with reasonable fps that would look great :)

What's "Reasonable" meaning?

50 (or 60) fps may never be reached.

Due to the "coarse" resolution of the char-movement, it doesn't make sense to have such high framerates though.

Another benefit of the charmode is the saved memory, because the full game graphics uses 800 bytes for the screenmemory, instead of 6400 bytes. The whole graphics for a level can be stored in less than 2K.

For pageflipping only, another 800 Bytes have to be used.

Using PM with shape setting at DLI's, doesn't make page flipping really necessary.

PM without DMA doesn't use memory or CPU Cycles either.

One "problem" is, that if people think about coding a game, the first things are : "Hm... using all PMG for one Sprite and very much DLIs for vertical control over the scroll- registers"

The "right" way for creating such racing games is started, when a charmode-dli based PMg shaped "Road" is done.

Then the "Ferrari" has to be implemented, with all its animation steps.

(using a block of 5x11 chars, writing the charmem inside, when the car rotates)

Then the streetlines have to be added.

and so on...

So the Question is not "if" it is possible, the question is "when" will it be done ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I did some more changes on the tune. And I named it "final", because it does again a step out of RMTs features.

Well... the first part is now better than I thought, it could be.

The 2nd part has my personal protection, because it is "simply cool" :cool:

The 3rd part of the tune could be better, if the 1,79MHz sounding in the emulation was more authentical.

RMT-File is included.

(BTW: Thanks to the Admins for bringing back the "edit" button :D )

the c64 has (like 7800 as well) 256 definable chars (or even 512 if you count the other charset as well)... atari waste 128 with the "5th colour by bit7" trick... i don't know which is better to have 128 more chars (giving more freedom for designers) or the 5th colour...

Hmm, C64 has both, 256 chars and "5th color". Per char there is 12 bits of information used. 8 bits character offset, 3 bits color information and 1 bit hires/lores Flag.