IGNORED

XBOX Modding and gaming....

EricDeLee

I have an easy XB-live question for you. Recently I got that dead Xbox up and running. The modding is going to get put off due to another large purchase. I'll comment on the XBox experience if anyone cares.

On the Xbox, the previous owner had Live set up on the system. (or installed) The magic question is, should I let it phone home and see what happens or would that be a 'bad idea'? I don't have an account, nor do I really want one. What happens once it hits the world outside of my LAN?

Hex.

[ Last seen wrapping up more loose ends... ]

In this case, if his account is still good (paid for, current) then it would sign in. If not, then you would get some sort of message about the account. Now, if you mod it, pop in another HD, get a Live account, chances are, it will get banned. It's more or less a theory, but I'd say almost 100% accurate, that at some point early 2004, HD serial number checks started to be used on Live on sign in. If you swapped out HD's anytime after the check was performed, you would eventually get banned on that XB. Happened to me on a few and XB scene is full of stories. There are ways around it of course, but I had enough stock ones laying around that I didn't even bother. So basically, if you have been on Live before, plan on modding the XB, swapping HD's, don't plan on enjoying Live ;)

Honestly, I'm not real into the concept of Live. So you can guess how much I care about needing the old HD. What scares me terribly is that this will become an unsupported product and getting replacement parts I suspect will not be pleasant.

As for the applications I have for my XB, I want to use it like I use my HD loader for the PS2. (Yes, I _OWN_ all of the originals that are on the HD. :D ) I don't go for that rent-a-pirate, becuase I like having a manual.

In a sick way, the HD Loader pretty much spoiled me in that I pop this one CD in and I'm rolling along no problems. It also will act as another excellent tool in my system / game test toolbox. I may look at emulation later, the most likely being Mame since I own original hardware for a majority of the other emus out there. And if I _really_ want to get on XBlive, I have spare XB units at my disposal. And like I said in a previous thread, the mod chip will be either an xectuor 3 or a smartX

I also want to pick up one of the kb/mouse xbox dongles. All I can say is that on that is it's about time. Has anyone here messed with one of these? opinions?

Hex.

[ Watch in amazement as "the list" grows... ]

Yup I used some of the USB adapters for when I was using one of mine for Linux. Everything worked fine. You should be able to get those cables for like $7 now. If you get a Xenium chip, they come with a USB adapter but only 1. I have tons sitting here though so if you need a few, just say the word.