IGNORED

What companies are still around?

berzerk

Looking at the old buildings of some of the companies on a different thread that used to make games for the 2600 got me nastalgic. What companies are still around that were 2600 game makers? Activision is, but who else? I loved Imagic stuff, wish they were still around

I think there are several companies still around that at one time made Atari games.

FirstStar

First Star designed Boing!

Zellers

Zellers produced Atari games...I dont know if they released any original games tho.

I thought I read somewhere that the people who made Elis Ladder were still around??? I could be wrong about that tho.

Of course none of them still make Atari games... But it is kinda cool that the companies are still here...Im sure there's a few that exist in one form or another.

quote:

Originally posted by atarinvader:

Parker Bros. (but not making videogames I dont think)

Parker Brothers came to be part of Hasbro, which until about a year ago also owned the remnants of Atari Corp. Hasbro's Atari assets were managed under Hasbro Interactive, which was sold to Infogrames; part of the deal was that Infogrames currently has an exclusive license to produce video games based on Hasbro (and therefore Parker Brothers) properties.

Definitely Activision (no brainer here)

...and SpectraVideo. (used to be SpectraVision) SpectraVideo (www.spectravideo.com) with their Logic3 label now sells peripherals for the four new game consoles (PS2, XBox, Gamecube, GBA)

Someone mentioned before that Wico was still around (They didn't make any software, but still worth mentioning). Milton Bradley (Spitfire Attack & Survival Run) is still around, but I don't think they've made video games since then.

--Zero

Well, actually, after they made two Atari 2600 games, Milton Bradley published a few NES games too, such as Marble Madness and Abadox (a very gory shooting game that surprisingly got around Nintendo of America's strict censorship board)

quote:

Originally posted by The Night Phantom:

Milton Bradley is also now part of Hasbro.

Two other companies that made Atari compatible games are also part of Hasbro: Tiger Electronics (Tigervision) and Avalon-Hill.

Other companies that still exist are Answer Software, Mattel and Sega.

US Games' parent, Quaker Oats still exists. And then there are the media companies that still exist: 20th Century Fox and CBS.