IGNORED

Atari and my parents

Nateo

Well, my parent's didn't like it either... but, after a while when they saw how enthused I was and that it wasn't just a passing hobby, they sort of accepted it - my mom likes some of the old games (she's a die-hard Tetris fan for the NES & Game Boy), and when I have Asteroids in the 'ol Atari 2600, my dad will sit and play, and brag about a high score he had (then, he gets pissed when I beat him.... lol).

It takes time with all things. Just hope that they'll come around before they throw them out and you out when you least expect them to (trust me, I've had those threats... lol)...

Until then, best of luck with converting them!

Al www.blowoutmagazine.com (read my wrestling video game article) www.jasonalex.com (read my reviews on GTA3 and Namco Museum) www.bulletproofpopemobile.com (coming january 30, 2002 - hardcore/punk site - if you are in a band and has some music that wants reviewed, or you want a print zine reviewed, send me an e-mail at XalpopeX@aol.com , and I'll send you the info!)

P.S. : Sorry for the shameless self-promotion... have to get my plugs in somehow... lol

Help! I only have 62 games for my Atari 2600, and it's getting very hard to get more games. My parents think I had plenty when I had 20 games! I keep trying to tell them that it's my hobby, but no use. Anyway I can convince my parents that it's my hobby, and getting more games (and enjoying them all) is basically what it's about!?

ah, back in the day, my mom used to play kaboom with me and my pops (who lost half of his left thumb in a construction accident) used to LOVE minestorm on my vectrex.

i mention the half thumb cause he used to hold the controller in his hand and i was always amazed that he could do so well with the nub...

and i agree, tell em you'd be buying cigs, booze and whores if you weren't into atari!

Im not sure how easy this will be for you, but if you can get this pulled off, you have NO problems to worry about.

GET YOUR PARENTS INTO THE GAMES! Get them to play get them hooked... play with your mother or father (whomever you are closer to) and make a game or 2 out of classic 2 player games... make sure not to play too hard to seem competitive.. if they like the games hey will wanna play more.. then you move in for the kill and elabrotally describe a game you want.. overhype it if you have to.

dad said when i kept my atari XEG Swith 7 games taht was all i was going to have . then i got some more and he said no cause he wanted better ( wat a good dad i got.) then i got some more stuff dads like since 15 good for you.

now at 600+ im like dad im almost to that point . hehe (11000 to go hehe)

i know how you feel my mom hates the fact that i LOVE video games it drives her crazy.

my dad on the other hand isnt very fond of my newer consoles but loves my older ones atari,sega,nes,ect....he normally wont buy the games but if i get him into them he will let me get on his ebay account and bid on them

My mom is fine with cassic gaming. She knows its my hobby and notices how much i enjoy it(infact every other week she takes me for a thrift shop check-up at a local thrift shop. My dad on the other hand loves kaboom and all but hates that i spend so much on retro games that used to be 40 bux. BUt I think the ciggeret idea would work.

in 99 i bought 3 pongs for 9$. i remember how "incredible" this game was when it came out ... we used to play G&W at school.

when i think back to the time when my father bought me my first pong, i realize he must have ruined himself, ordering thaqt on from usa. what i clearly remember is 1981, the year i got my first VCS. it was great .... and as for most of you, my mother hated it. i wanted a light gun, but she said it's too violent. so i ended up playing warlords and pacman with my dad ...

It's really hard to get my mom into any game, unless, of course, it's Solitare. My dad is a different story... he's playing Star Fox 64 with my little brother and sister right now.

The cigarette idea might not work, they might just say something sarcastic (they're pretty good comedians sometimes) like "At least cigarettes don't cost as much some of your games."

My dad has a very expensive hobby - astronomy. He built a 8" mirror telescope about a half a year ago, he even grinded the mirror himself (and it worked perfectly!) I don't see why there's such a controversy between me and my buying video games.

I am 17, and I have an the odd hobby of collecting obsolete computers and video games. I have an awful lot of equipment, some of which takes up a lot of space. I have over 80 computers, as well as many video game machines, I even built my own arcade machine. (That took some doing convincing my parents that I needed to get an empty arcade cabinet...) But, even though I have a lot of hardware and I spend most of my money on my hobby, they don't mind, except when I come home with a carload of stuff. (Did you know that you can fit about 30 computers including monitors in a Toyota Camry?) But, they would rather have me at home repairing obsolete computer hardware than doing something stupid like going out and getting drunk or something, and they put up with it to some extent. Here's what you should do. Go out to a local thrift store, and try and find a bowling ball, preferably two or more. Claim that you decided you want to start collecting bowling balls, seeming as though they didn'y like your idea of collecting nice small Atari carts. Then say that if they want, you can collect something even bigger, like broken television sets or washing machines. Maybe they'll realize there are a lot worse things for someone to collect than Atari carts. I mean, at least Atari carts are small, light, easy to store plastic squares... Bowling balls are really hard to store.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

P.S. Nateo - where in New York do you live?

quote:

Originally posted by Scorpio:

My father keeps saying "How can you like Atari? It's so old and out dated!"

If he gives you that argument again, you can say, “Well, so are you, but I still spend time with you!” (I don't know if that will win the argument; it probably won't win any favors!)

Heck, I grew up on video games because of my Parents. We had Pong, then the Atari 2600. There was ALWAYS a computer in the house. We had a pool table and a slot machine.

Where do you think I learned how to swear so well? From my Mom playing Kaboom! and Stampede!

I got a Dreamcast for christmas in 2000 and both my parents where playing Crazy Taxi! Not bad for a couple in their ... uhh... I wont say, but I'm 33 and the youngest of 5.

Gotta love em!

quote:

Originally posted by Nateo:

Help! I only have 62 games for my Atari 2600, and it's getting very hard to get more games. My parents think I had plenty when I had 20 games! I keep trying to tell them that it's my hobby, but no use. Anyway I can convince my parents that it's my hobby, and getting more games (and enjoying them all) is basically what it's about!?

You can try the "professional development" angle. I got into computer programming becaused I was addicted to video games as a kid and wanted to know how they work. Now I make quite a good living at it. Also helped out quite a bit in college.

The cool thing is that to understand how video games work, you need a really in-depth understanding of programming and hardware. People who know how to program video games are generally much better programmers than someone who just learned basic IT applications in college.

Eric

"Help! I only have 62 games for my Atari 2600, and it's getting very hard to get more games. My parents think I had plenty when I had 20 games! I keep trying to tell them that it's my hobby, but no use. Anyway I can convince my parents that it's my hobby, and getting more games (and enjoying them all) is basically what it's about!?"

One of the best lines to use is a financial one (this worked on my ex-girlfriend) was that Atari carts are collectors items and make a good investment - just think about Star Wars stuff.

I have also used this on my parents, who then very kindly bought me boxed copies of Ghostbusters II and Acid Drop for my birthday last year.

It's worth a shot.