IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

I was walking out of a Walgreens drugstore today and this Albuquerque Journal newspaper headline caught my eye:

"Searching for E.T. - NM Scavenger Hunt for Failed Atari Game Sparks Global Interest"

Here's a picture of the paper:

post-4925-0-10450900-1398542297_thumb.jpg

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.abqjournal.com/390101/news/hunts-on-for-buried-atari-et-video-game.html

Sure, the dig, or "Scavenger Hunt" as the paper is calling it, is happening in the the state, but Alamogordo is about 3 1/2 hours away from Albuquerque. Either this story is bigger than I thought, or this is a slow news day. Either way, it's pretty neat to see an Atari 2600 on the front page of the local newspaper!

• Like 5

Greed has appeared, last minute changes:

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2014/04/24/commissioners-adjust-contract-for-atari-landfill-dig-a-494169.html#.U1wcRaL4x9M

In the end, the crew does not get the '10 percent' of other items, so things like the 1600xl prototypes, the city will get to sell off on eBay if they so wish.

Or maybe the city will decide it is all worthless trash and just bury it back into the landfill site. -- Would not that be funny! :)

• Like 1

So they found a few games. We KNEW some games were there, along with computers, parts, and other stuff that all came from the El Paso Plant. That was already confirmed due to Curt and Marty's book.

They did NOT find, however, a million ET carts as the legend always said.....and again, we have proof that was the case.

Seems like a big waste of time and money, if you ask me. The evidence was already there, no need for the dig.

Still, it's cool this made national news and all that. :)

Now, if the landfill that REALLY has all the overstock games in California is ever found out, THAT would be worth digging up. Curt and Marty were told the location of this dump while doing research on their book, but they promised to keep it secret. All we know is that's it around Sunnyvale CA. Maybe in about 40 years they will finally tell someone. :)

• Like 1

The ground in the desert is normally really dry and the landfill might have been above whatever water table exists in that area. So, with all that sand wicking moisture away from the burried Atari items, it basically works to preserve whatever might be in that hole. Any concrete cap poured over the items would also help to prevent rain water from leaching down onto what was underneath, basically a giant time capsule. It would be neat to own something from the hole, if offered with an official certificate proving it was in the hole.

I am happy this was done, sure we had proof that the burial actually occured so that wasn't a shock, but it is neat to see old-school Atari in the news. Although, I imagine this will also spark nostaligia and result in elevated interest, demand, and prices for Atari stuff... that kind of stinks for those of us already in the hobby. It will probably be short lived though.

BTW: I finally beat ET for the first time a few days ago and it turned out to be a pretty good game... not perfect, not simple, and not without bugs, but it was fun to get all of the way through. I think modern day players, who are so down on ET, should read up on tips and tricks available on the internet (mainly avoiding the wells and using the zone symbols)... they might find the game enjoyable.

Edited by joelm
  • Like 6

Wow I'm impressed that they actually found the correct spot after so many years. People will watch the documentary - especially now that they've found something - so I wouldn't call it a waste of time. I hope there's something unusual in the mix down there. Kinda sad to see all those unloved E.T. carts.

I am glad that they found them and not that they dug up the place and find nothing. Surprised to hear that some of the ones that they dug up still work. I look forward to seeing the film and hope it gets released on DVD. Good to have some of the old Atari back in the news.

• Like 1

In the end, the crew does not get the '10 percent' of other items, so things like the 1600xl prototypes, the city will get to sell off on eBay if they so wish.

So someone has decided that the games are worth $10 each. I suppose that's not too far off. On one hand, it's freaking ET, which is too common to be worth much. On the other hand, they've been through an "event", and one more well known than the Telegames Twister (hmm, crushing damage vs water damage...), and they probably get to pick and choose which ones they keep.

On the other hand, much more than 250 of these, and the worse condition ones, and they might as well give them away to tourists for free.