IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

I think Moycon doubling-down on his skepticism is along the lines of Donald Trump's reaction after Obama produced his birth-certificate or Richard Hoagland after the newly snapped face on mars photos exposed that thing as a random hill.

Here's the thing, there is no doubling down. I've always agreed that they probably buried product at the landfill, and that in my opinion was that they buried a LOT less than what they claimed to have buried. You read the ET thread? In your scenarios, Obama produced what Donald Trump requested and the Mars face was conclusively shown to be simulacra. A few hundred carts found is a LOT less than millions of ET carts. (By about a couple million) Those boys are going to have to dig a bit longer to verify the legend is all I'm saying. They've gone this far, might as well continue. If there really are millions of carts there it shouldn't be hard.

It is awesome that someone finally tackled this after all these years! I was one of the folk who years ago sent an email to Mythbusters stating what a great idea for a show it would be. Truthfully I don't think I ever got a response!

A souvenir ET from the dig would be GREAT, what fan wouldn't pay for that? Hopefully enough are found to do just that.

I read where they are going to re-bury most of the site. I don't have an interest either way but if people are concerned they should come up with an environmental reason to stop it. The carts contain toxic solder I'm sure and the shells would be better suited to recycling than to be left buried.

I've just got to ask, doesn't this seem fake to anyone else? He had a pristine ET cart other than a little dirt on the edges. Another was a crushed box with the manual visible and no water damage or staining from dirt.

I don't know how it could have been fake. They dug for at least 90 minutes prior to taking the first cart out. It would have pretty hard to bury a game that far down and re-dig it up he next day. I also saw the subsequent loads brought up out of the hole mixed with other trash, and the boxes looked pretty good. Remember how dry it is down there. Plus I had the benefit of smelling the funk of 30 years of trash every time they dug down further...lol.

• Like 4

"Nearly all the E.T. games were returned."

Really? Must be why practically EVERY Atari collection has at least two copies of the game. :-/

The REAL myth that needs to be dispelled is that E.T. isn't that bad of a game and that MOST of them got sold.

I'm pretty sure that over half if not mere were returned. The reason you have so many is that they made more in later years when they re-launched the Jr and more for the 7800 launch. I could be wrong though. It doesn't make sense at all. Is it really cheaper to destroy and remake them that to store them? Couldn't they pile them up in offices or let stores keep them on consignment? Sometimes business practices make no sense at all to me.

"Nearly all the E.T. games were returned."

Really? Must be why practically EVERY Atari collection has at least two copies of the game. :-/

The REAL myth that needs to be dispelled is that E.T. isn't that bad of a game and that MOST of them got sold.

I guess all PAL copies were returned because they were worse than the NTSC versions. I don't have a copy and have never owned one.

Not that I've been looking for one. I played it back in the day. Borrowed it from a girl on our street.

Enough. E.T. is not a bad game. Enough. There is plenty of crap for the VCS this is not one. Let's not sully an otherwise very fun topic with such nonsense (oh no, I'm not bright enough to navigate around a hazard in a video game, this game sucks :roll: )

Of course it's not a bad game, but surely you can relate to why it was such a smoking turd back then. They took the most popular movie in the world at the time and instead of making a game that was aimed to entertain children, they rushed a 'game' that completely missed not only the key demographic but probably made a few adults shake their heads as well. But since there were already so many bad games out for the 2600 at that time, it wasn't really surprising.

This game wasn't fun for the majority of the kids who were 'lucky' enough to get it for Christmas that year. I put the game in the same category as Superman and Raiders of the Lost Ark: both games are very abstract and aren't meant for children. Who else did Atari think was going to buy this game? No wonder it was the debacle it was. The game was too difficult for children and while the actual game's concept was great (IMO), they rushed out an inferior product. I can even overlook the difficulty factor, and say this: Atari didn't CARE whether the game was good or not, and that's the result. Every person out there who lived through ET has every right to call that game what it is, and that's a turd. If people want to argue semantics over what they consider fun (hey, some people actually find reading the dictionary fun), or if fun is synonymous with good, well, that's their deal.

The biggest cliche about "ET is the worst game in HISTORY!" is followed by what I consider an even greater cliche in the retrogaming world, the almost as cliched "ET is NOT the worst game in history!", which they then go about making excuses for a piece of shit of a game.

They obviously didn't bury these turds deep enough, that's my opinion. And now that nobody can argue whether or not they were buried, now they're going to pick apart "well how MANY were buried?" or "what OTHER games did they bury?" or other conspiracy theories that will, thankfully, keep this story interesting well into the next 30 years :D

• Like 1

The biggest cliche about "ET is the worst game in HISTORY!" is followed by what I consider an even greater cliche in the retrogaming world, the almost as cliched "ET is NOT the worst game in history!", which they then go about making excuses for a piece of shit of a game.

Before I made the E.T. section at my web site, it seemed like hardly anyone was speaking up about how they liked E.T. Everyone was supposed to hate the game. There were articles encouraging people to destroy every E.T. cartridge they could find. After all these years, "E.T. is the worst game in HISTORY" is still a greater cliche than "E.T. is NOT the worst game in history" because the E.T. hate infection keeps on spreading, even to people who have never played it. People hear that everyone is supposed to hate the game, so they grab a torch and pitchfork and join the angry mob.

A lot of popular games today don't just let you dive in and play. There are skills you have to master before you can even start playing the actual game and hardly anyone complains about that. E.T. is like those kinds of games. You have to spend a few minutes learning a couple of skills, then you can have fun finding the zones and phone pieces that you need. Once people take a few minutes to master the wells, the game goes from frustrating to fun:

youtube.com/watch?v=zh4U3BwlTcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4U3BwlTcY

• Like 1

"The game's finding came as no surprise to James Heller, a former Atari manager who was invited by the production to the dig site. He says in 1983 the company tasked him with finding an inexpensive way to dispose of 728,000 cartridges they had in a warehouse in El Paso, Texas. After a few local kids ran into trouble for scavenging and the media started calling him about it, he decided to pour a layer of concrete over the games.

"I never heard about again it until June 2013, when I read an article about E.T. being excavated," he remembers. He was not aware of the controversy and never spoke out "because nobody asked.""

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/04/26/diggers-find-ataris-et-games-in-landfill/8232609/

So I guess 728k is the magic number, and not millions as some have speculated.