IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

In theory everything is "rare", it's just a matter of scale......in the cosmic sense, it's all "rare"! :D

So the ebay sellers who call everything rare are really just philosophers with far more advanced thought than the average ebay buyer! It's all becoming clear now.

• Like 6

In theory everything is "rare", it's just a matter of scale......in the cosmic sense, it's all "rare"! :D

So the ebay sellers who call everything rare are really just philosophers with far more advanced thought than the average ebay buyer! It's all becoming clear now.

Yep! They have discovered the cosmic one-ness of all the junk in their garage! :D

Yep! They have discovered the cosmic one-ness of all the junk in their garage! :D

Technically speaking, anything that's not mint, rare or not, is one of a kind. For example, no two dusty consoles will have the exact same scratches and pock-marks on them. That makes them one-of-a-kind, so to call it "rare" is an understatement. I love old beat-up or well-used games/systems as it adds character.

I didn't dig through my tubs of doubles but my one boxed ET sitting here has the box, manual, and cart - all with an 1982 copyright date.

And if time travel were true, this would have happened to someone on this board:

But what if most of the people on this board are dead when time travel is invented? Dead people can't visit their past selves.

You owning a CIB ET with a 1982 copyright date should be all the evidence you need. But if that isn't enough for you then since you are Canadian and this is about ET. I think I have a plan to convince you. I'm going to go back to when the video game crash was happening. As a joke and to dedicate it to the crash I'm going to have a Canadian game made to be a mixture of ET and PAC-MAN. I think I'll make it a small mission. Maybe make sure it is rare and won't show up in your history until much later to prevent too many butterfly effects. If I'm successful you should hear about it some time around this time period and hopefully everyone is amazed it stayed hidden for so long. I'll call it Extra Terrestrials because of all the E.T. carts that were saved by time travel. I'll go do that now.

I'll go do that now.

Don't step on any butterflies.

Actually, if you decide to go back, don't even breathe. The extra Carbon-Dioxide in your breath will disrupt the delicate balance, and the polar caps will melt due to global warming. New York and New Orleans will both be underwater, and the 9/11 and Katrina disasters will be diverted as a result, saving millions of lives. |:)

On second thought, breath a whole lot. Better yet, go ahead and bring a couple of oil barrels back in time with you and burn them in the desert! That way, the world should be an inferno by now! :evil:

No wait, better to skip the oil barrels... :skull:

Edited by stardust4ever

I'll go do that now.

Actually, if you decide to go back, don't even breathe. The extra Carbon-Dioxide in your breath will disrupt the delicate balance, and the polar caps will melt due to global warming. New York and New Orleans will both be underwater, and the 9/11 and Katrina disasters will be diverted as a result, saving millions of lives.

On second thought, breath a whole lot. Better yet, go ahead and bring a couple of oil barrels back in time with you and burn them in the desert! Then the world should be an inferno by now! :evil:

No wait, better skip the oil barrels... :skull:

I already went. What is 9/11?

I'll go do that now.

Actually, if you decide to go back, don't even breathe. The extra Carbon-Dioxide in your breath will disrupt the delicate balance, and the polar caps will melt due to global warming. New York and New Orleans will both be underwater, and the 9/11 and Katrina disasters will be diverted as a result, saving millions of lives.

On second thought, breath a whole lot. Better yet, go ahead and bring a couple of oil barrels back in time with you and burn them in the desert! Then the world should be an inferno by now! :evil:

No wait, better skip the oil barrels... :skull:

I already went. What is 9/11?

Let's just say it's something you dial on a phone. Don't do it unless it's an emergency.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, the new Angry Video Game Nerd movie trailer has the E.T. Landfill as a big story line plot. NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz95K1ngiI&feature=g-all-lik

Wow, that is hilareous! Especially the barf at the end of the trailer. Too bad the movie is totally fictional and not based on a lick of truth. Still awesome though. I'm somewhat a fan of Angry Video Game Nerd, though I haven't watched all of his videos.
  • Like 1

Atari probably hired professional rumormongers to spread the E.T. burial myth.

The inconsistancy of numbers proves it was a myth. 4 million made, 3.5 million unsold, 1 million seller?

I think we need to kill this myth. Good luck. Half the internet is brainwashed into believing "E.T. is a bad game".

Seriously, people who hate E.T. have NOT PLAYED DISHASTER.

I AM TOTALLY SERIOUS. IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED DISHASTER AND HATE E.T., THEN PLAY IT.

NOW.

I am 100% certain all they buried were defective things. How do we kill this myth?

I can prove it. 1982 carts are more common than 1986 carts.

Professional Tax Evasion.

Just like Tax Avoiders and 20th Century Fox.

I will be dissapointed if AVGN gives it a rating lower than a D+.

Hopfully, against all odds, he doesn't.

• Like 2

I choked on a penny when I was a baby and lived to tell about it. :o The webpage you sourced listed no source for that random factoid. What were the other "5 most dangerous snacks?" The 170-190 deaths from choking on popcorn could have been pulled out of a hat, just like the number "42" from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or the supposed 12 million Pacmans and 4 million ETs that got buried in the NM desert landfill.

Atari probably hired professional rumormongers to spread the E.T. burial myth.

Atari hired no one, the myth started up long after the event.

The inconsistancy of numbers proves it was a myth. 4 million made, 3.5 million unsold, 1 million seller?

5 million were manufactured, 3.5 million were returned from distriutors. These figures are per Atari's own internal documents.

I am 100% certain all they buried were defective things.

You'd be 30% right. The "changover to fixing defective products" was a cover story by Atari's media relations department. El Paso was being moved away from manufacturing cartridges into more hardware manufacturing as other plants in the U.S. were beng shut down in favor of Atari's newly opening plants in East Asia. Hence the dump was all the leftover stock from the El Paso transition, some of which was defective merchandise. The dump consisted of a plethora of games as well as some hardware.

The entire happening is all pretty much matter of fact documentation wise, there's no big conspiracy or myth. All that is on the pop-culture side.

I can prove it. 1982 carts are more common than 1986 carts.

The dump was during late '83, so that claimed logic doesn't make sense.