IGNORED

Hide your boxes from sunlight!

Marco

I was packing up some more boxes for the big move today and then I noticed how a couple of my Atari boxes had been discolored by the sunlight.

Especially the early color boxes appear to be vulnerable, none of the grey and brown releases had this problem. The games were not displayed in the direct sunlight, yet they still were affected by it. So, if you want to preserve the cool original colors, be sure to put your games in a closet or dark room (waits for NE146 to jump in on that)!

Cheers,

Marco

PS: I'll be looking for some new boxed early release Atari games soon ;)

Most colors will fade when exposed to sunlight. They will also fade over time if they are faced with high levels of humidity or non-florescent (?sp) light bulbs. It's best to keep them in a light shielded shelving unit with closable doors and out of attics and basements.

My boxes are in my game room closet not to keep 'em out of sunlight but to keep 'em out of the way (I don't really "use" them for game play). I guess it's cool that they're also protected.

My consoles and computers are protected from dust on their barrister shelves but not from sunlight. That worries me a bit...my 65XE is already fairly yellowed :|

Voch

Man, I WISH I had a place to display my games.

My wife is already emberassed by the fact that I love video games and played Dungeons & Dragons in middle school. Hahaha.. If I wasn't such a car guy, I'd be a total nerd as far as she's concerned. All my game boxes stay in larger boxes in the closet. :(

The other thing is keeping the boxes in a good environment, not too much humidity as it causes boxes to warp. Also shrinkwrapped games are also ones you need to keep a careful eye on, the shrinkwrapping tends to shrink even more over the years and begins to crush the boxes within.

Curt