IGNORED

Activision Handheld

Pete Perpetua

I haven't played if a whole lot, however beside the 2 player games removed, I noticed the following,

Chicken in the middle of the screen on Freeway.

2 black & white icons replacing "2" for palyer 2 in boxing

the missles in Atlantis seem to be invisible'

sounds all seem the same

I recently tried one of these out. I think its ok, but its off a little bit. The sounds and some of the graphics are off. I think they should have taken more time on this. I also can't figure out why the RCA jacks on the TV make everything too light to see, but if you plug it into a VCR everything looks fine. I think I'll pass on getting one.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: J-DEE ]

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: J-DEE ]

Am I the only person who read the instruction sheet that was included with this thing? At least some of the games - maybe only FREEWAY - DO have two player versions. You and a close friend have to both hold onto the controller at the same time. The left pad controls player one's movement and the right pad controls player two's movement.

My sentiments as well. I was anxiously awaiting this thing and now I feel like I threw my money in the trash. It is a GREAT idea very badly done. I wanted to hack it to play *MY* choice of games (even if I was going to be limited to 2 and 4K games) but it's not really even an atari. It sucks.

Are these things still being sold at retail stores?

I've only seen one unit hanging near the action figure section (???) at a nearby Electronics Boutique and haven't seen one anywhere else since then. Why they keep it over in the action figure section is beyond me.

This is a case where one could argue that emulated roms are far better. Why must companies that release potentially cool products like this feel they have to alter and change things?

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't seen one of these in a retail store and I do make an effort to look when I'm near a toy store (or some type of store that I think might carry it, like Electronics Boutique). If I ask about it, usually I just get blank stares. I keep threatening to order one online somewhere, but never do. I'd like to evaluate one firsthand to see how well it works (or doesn't). Some of you who aren't happy with yours might consider sending them to me.

..Al

Albert,

Aside from the crystal-clear picture you get thanks to the A/V connection, these games are just mere shadows of their former glorious selves. I'd seriously advise anyone against getting one.

I've seen these in some Electronics Boutique stores. Sometimes in the front where the cash register is and sometimes over where they have the action figures/toys. In most cases, they'll only have one in stock. It comes housed in a hanging cellophane display which is why they sometimes keep them hanging next to the action figures.

I have used my 10 in 1 on 3 different VCRs

The missles do not show for me in Atlantis.

Maybe it has something to do with the brand of VCRs and how many lines they put to the TV.

Using this device on a VCR is the only way you can play anyway. When plugged directly into a TV the picture is way too bright.

It is a fun little device for it's price.

Oh, and mine is RED.

Charlie

I can confirm what Chazbeenhad said -- even through a VCR, I don't see the bullets in Atlantis. Makes it damned hard to see!

By the way, a 26C reader says that Avon is even selling this thing, though the $10 model at Wal-Mart renders Avon's $25 price moot I think.

PS -- in Pitfall... Are the alligators wearing lipstick??