IGNORED

Atari 2600 Connected to the Internet

Albert

http://mikebeauchamp.com/Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later! Mike Beauchamp has connected an Atari 2600 to the internet, allowing anyone to control it through a web browser. This 2600, sitting on the corner of Mike's desk, is interfaced through the parallel port of a PC and controlled using Basic, Perl, and ASP. The video is then captured and streamed back to whoever is playing at the time. While you're not going to break any high-score records, it's pretty cool controlling Q*Bert on an Atari 2600 located thousands of miles away. Please visit http://mikebeauchamp.com to try it out yourself, as well as learn the technical details on how this feat was accomplished.
  • Like 1

Sound very cool. To bad that you have to have some expensive equipment to do it (The special Video Card, etc.) and all the modifactions to the original Atari itself.

Hopefully he'll make more games available besides just Q*Bert

I'm lucky to spend about $20 a month to get some new games, don't look like I'll be able to do this anytime soon.

Overall very impressive, perhaps all this information can lead to some other innovations of the Atari 2600

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

If that realy works (couldn't test, to many connections now ), I'm sure, we will see a homebrew game with network support quite soon.

It does work, I tried it for a few minutes before posting the news. Not very playable, but cool nonetheless. Now someone just needs to just write a TCP/IP stack and port a simple web browser to the 2600.

..Al

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Albert ]

i heard that nolan bushnell's new company is making coin-op arcades that are connected over the internet !?

anybody has more infos on this topic?

i'd love to organise one of these for the eurocon 2002, so you overseas-atarians can have a little warlords battle with us in europe ....

maybe we could build a collectors ring, one of these arcades (modified with tons of atari 2600/7800 games) in 10-20 cities all around the world.

the site is totally overcrwded at the moment. tomorrow morning, you guys will be sleeping and i'll be havin fun

quote:

Originally posted by jahfish:

i heard that nolan bushnell's new company is making coin-op arcades that are connected over the internet !?

anybody has more infos on this topic?

Nolan's company is called uWink and there's a good deal of information about their games and the company on their site. Enjoy!

..Al