IGNORED

Off topic - Mame .37b16

Nukey Shay

Albert -

There is some type of encryption used on the original version that took a while to work around (quite a while, in fact...since the other versions were supported for ages). Keep in mind that many of supported games still have unresolved issues (like unemulated sound, wrong colors, etc.), and that some supported games do not work at all. The latter romsets are usually included in Mame code because variants of those games do work, but require roms from the original version (referred to as "parent roms"). Games that have unemulated sound usually used some type of analog sound circuitry which is difficult to emulate, and some games that had "hard wired" sound (i.e. not part of it's PCB...more on this in a bit) use sound samples to make up for it (simulated via .wav files). And some games just haven't been found yet that have perfect working chips to get a dump from.

Also, many early arcade games (including a couple of my favorites...Atari's Tank and Exidy's Death Race) had no CPU at all...which means that there is nothing to emulate (i.e. the game itself is entirely "hard wired"). Such games would have to be complete simulations, and written into the Mame code itself. For a couple of betas, a simulated Pong was put into Mame (due to it's re-release by Hasbro). This was later removed, so I doubt we'll see any other sims

On the other hand, emulated pinball PCB's are getting VERY popular. http://www.thefew.com/vptables/tables.html These are emulated under a special build called VPinMame, and the table is simulated using Visual Pinball. Since the gameplay itself is not an emulation (unless your computer is a meter long and has a rolling metal ball), I doubt that these will ever find a place in the official build. I guess my computer will always have two Mames (although it's a complete sim, Eight Ball Deluxe rules!).

Inky -

Nope. http://unmamed.unemulated.com/non_sega.html#BuckRogers

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay

over 3000 arcade games are now supported

Yep, in fact there are **ONLY** 1744 unique games. Damn got to play almost 5 differents games every day for 1 year to play all the games.....

[ 07-06-2001: Message edited by: khryssun ]

Probably much less than 1744 if you are after completely unique games (I mean, just how many different boards of Mahjong could there be?). All romsets supported have at least one thing different from others, and that (however insignificant) makes it unique.