IGNORED

Odd brain activity this morning...

jnice

As I was getting out of bed this morning, a homebrew idea for the 5200 suddenly popped up: "Professional" wrestling! I used to love playing the NES game "Pro Wrestling" when I was younger, and am unaware of any wrestling games attempted on the Atari 8-bit systems.

I'm not a programmer...yet (I know I've said this for over the past year and have gotten nowhere, but I do plan to learn soon), so I don't know why I was even thinking about this. I do know that the NES gameplay couldn't be reproduced for the 5200, as it would require too much use of the fire buttons...not the CX52's strong point. I also don't think it would be a good idea to make it a contest of who can move the stick around the fastest, like Decathlon.

After reading different reviews for other Atari fighting games, it would be a shame if a new homebrew like this would suffer from poor animation and control use.

Would someone out there be so kind to alter a picture of the NES "Pro Wrestling" and show us what an 8-bit version could look like (a "mock-up")? That would excite some people!

It looks like Bop N' Wrestle (not a sequel to "Rush N' Attack") has some decent graphics: Large characters, a nice ring. Then again, it was hard to tell from just a scan from the back of the box. Is this game any fun to play (it has a 5.4 rating, out of 10, at www.atarimania.com)?

Would anyone else find it humorous if a wrestling game was made that featured characters from some now-defunct wrestling organization (G.L.O.W. comes to mind)?

It looks like Bop N' Wrestle (not a sequel to "Rush N' Attack") has some decent graphics: Large characters, a nice ring.  Then again, it was hard to tell from just a scan from the back of the box.  Is this game any fun to play (it has a 5.4 rating, out of 10, at www.atarimania.com)?

Would anyone else find it humorous if a wrestling game was made that featured characters from some now-defunct wrestling organization (G.L.O.W. comes to mind)?

I would buy a GLOW video game in a heartbeat. You must feature my favorite tag team, Hollywood & Vine.

Bop N Wrestle is available for the Atari 8bit - its ok

Personally Id like to see a version of Venture on the 8bit line.

Nah. Time Pilot.

The 2600 version was expectedly bad. The Colecovision port was somehow worse. Were there any other versions of this game? Imagine how good TP would look and play on the 5200, and it would be a rare perfect fit for the controllers.

Bop N Wrestle is available for the Atari 8bit - its ok

Personally Id like to see a version of Venture on the 8bit line.

Nah. Time Pilot.

The 2600 version was expectedly bad. The Colecovision port was somehow worse. Were there any other versions of this game? Imagine how good TP would look and play on the 5200, and it would be a rare perfect fit for the controllers.

Ooo...I second that.

Of course, there are alot of games out there that didn't get a 5200 release that would make great homebrews. I'd like to see Phoenix and Crazy Climber as well...

I think it would also be cool to see some of the 2600 homebrews that are already out there get 5200 updates. 5200 Star Fire anyone?

am unaware of any wrestling games attempted on the Atari 8-bit systems.

Bop n' Wrestle for the 8-bit computer. I think Mat Mania Challenge is also a wrestling game for the 8-bit computer, but I've never seen it.

MMC is a "known" proto for the A8, which means that it's currently in the same limbo currently occupied by Xenophobe. It will probably emerge (eventually).

I believe that both "Bop 'n Wrestle" and MMC are, however, 64K games. It therefore seems likely that quite a bit of tweaking would be required to get them onto the 5200.

Maybe i'm kinda sour on this idea because I don't enjoy pro wrestling...I never have been able to understand what was so cool about it.

I'm with you on that. The 5200, to me, is more of a coin-op flavored console and a wrestling game just doesnt feel right. Maybe for a system that wasn't known for its arcade ports, like the Colecovision or 7800 it might seem a more appropriate fit.

Thats said though, I'd still buy it in a heartbeat if it were made for Pam. :D

Maybe i'm kinda sour on this idea because I don't enjoy pro wrestling...I never have been able to understand what was so cool about it.

I'm with you on that. The 5200, to me, is more of a coin-op flavored console and a wrestling game just doesnt feel right. Maybe for a system that wasn't known for its arcade ports, like the Colecovision or 7800 it might seem a more appropriate fit.

Yea...I think I'd be forced to get a copy as well :)

I think programming for a game like this would be easier than making a basketball game (ball physics). I have some concerns about controller use to make the gameplay fun, but I don't want people to break them in the process.

Anyone who's familiar with NES Pro Wrestling and other wrestling games:

1) These games usually involve in the wrestlers locking arms, and then you must press a button more rapidly in a given amount of time than your opponent to use your wrestling move (piledriver, bodyslam, etc.). Since the 5200's standard joystick's fire buttons couldn't handle this type of use well (too mushy), what are some alternatives to decide the move?

Here's one that might work: Once the wrestlers lock, the game becomes one of reflexes. The cornerposts (or "turnbuckles", I think they're called) change color, and the first one to point their joystick in the direction of the post in a best-of-three gets to use their move.

2) Would it be too much abuse on the joystick if wiggling the stick back and forth was used for the tasks of getting your wrestler back up, avoid being pinned, or rolling away from an elbow drop off the ropes? If so, what would be an alternative joystick use be to perform these tasks? More reflex stuff?

3) If this game used TWO joysticks (w/ the dual controller holder), how would the control scheme work? Any ideas?

Umm, what WAS the CV known for, if not its arcade ports?