IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 13: Solaris

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

The Zylons are back -- those spaceway sneaks, villains of Venus, Saturnian scoundrels! They're swarming through the galaxy in huge forces, attempting another takeover. They've got to go! And we need YOU to go get 'em.

But it's a hush-hush missions. If the Zylons guess you're onto them, you're a goner. So the official report says you're out to find the lost planet Solaris and rescue the Atarian Federation Pioneers stranded there. But if the Zylons reach Solaris before you do,

they'll destroy it.

You've got to hyperwarp from quadrent to quadrent, facing vicious attackers such as Kogalon Star Pirates, Planet Destroyers, and Cobra Fleet. But don't worry -- your fighter, the StarCruiser, is specially outfitted with a Galactic Scanner and plenty of photon

torpedoes. Just don't let the Zylons destroy a Federation Planet, or your quadrant mutates into a terrifying Red Zone.

Ready? Then hop into the StarCruiser, rev the engine, and go! And remember -- if anything flies your way, blast it, because this week's game is Solaris!

Game Information

• Game Name: Solaris
  • Released By: Atari, 1988
  • Left Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Right Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Robert M

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, April 19th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Dan Iacovelli! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you don't have a copy of this game, you can download the ROM from AtariAge by using this link

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif165,020 (Robert M) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif129,020 (StanJr) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif126,960 (Lord Thag) [+9]
  4. 89,720 (Osbo) [+8]
  5. 88,080 (video game addict) [+7]
  6. 77,600 (Mad Scientist) [+6]
  7. 75,940 (keilbaca) [+5]
  8. 42,260 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 37,660 (Lord Helmet) [+3]
  10. 33,100 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 31,820 (mikeftrevino) [+1]
  12. 25,900 (Malc74) [+1]
  13. 15,900 (Blackjack) [+1]
  14. 14,440 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]
  15. 13,800 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
  16. 13,200 (khryssun) [+1]
  17. 8820 (Goochman) [+1]
  18. 4740 (scogey) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifRobert M [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Robert M's Challenge: Beat Robert M's score, and get ALL of his current points! (20 points)

Current Standings

1. keilbaca [103]
  2. StanJr [98]
  3. Malc74 [52]
  4. sku_u [42]
  5. Christophero Sly [41]
  6. Osbo [41]
  7. KaeruYojimbo [39]
  8. video game addict [34]
  9. vdub_bobby [33]
  10. gospeedde [31]
  11. the 5th ghost [31]
  12. Fellow Atari Man [31]
  13. racer raul [29]
  14. chrisbid [28]
  15. Philflound [27]
  16. Blackjack [26]
  17. Numan [26]
  18. LarcenTyler [24]
  19. Keir [24]
  20. pitfallaimee [24]
  21. Dones [24]
  22. Cybergoth [20]
  23. Robert M [20]
  24. chubsta [17]
  25. yuppicide [15]
  26. candiru [14]
  27. Goochman [13]
  28. cvga [13]
  29. mikeftrevino [13]
  30. Dan Iacovelli [13]
  31. Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  32. adams_ale [6]
  33. Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  34. Bubbledragon [4]
  35. scogey [4]
  36. khryssun [4]
  37. SpiceWare [4]
  38. BydoEmpire [3]
  39. kemsted [3]
  40. Stingray [3]
  41. 128bytes [2]
  42. Voch [2]
  43. iguana [2]
  44. Chris++ [1]
  45. awsomo3000 [1]
  46. madbutscher [1]
  47. Scooterb23 [1]
  48. bjk7382 [1]
  49. Gateway [1]

Member List

• Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Gateway, gospeedde, KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet

Scoring Points in Solaris

• Making it through a Corridor: 8,000 points
  • Rescuing all Cadets on a Zylon Planet: 8,000 points
  • FlagShip: 500 points
  • Raider: 400 points
  • Kogalon Star Pirate: 320 points
  • Targeter: 320 points
  • Glider: 320 points
  • Mechnoid: 300 points
  • Blockader: 260 points
  • Cobra Ship: 80 points
  • Guardian: 60 points
  • Distractor: 20 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has both scanned and typed copies of it online for your reading pleasure.

What's that? You're too lazy to click those links? Well, you really should since this game is quite complicated and you'll really need to know what you're doing to get a high score, but here are the hints it provides anyways:

- Map your progress! It will help you find Solaris more quickly.

- Try to keep your StarCruiser in focus during hyperwarp. The better job you do at focusing, the less fuel you waste. When you arrive in the enemy sector you'll also be closer to the Zylon fleet.

- Destroy the enemy closest to Federation Planets first.

- Save fuel in an enemy sector by blasting at neutral planets only to avoid colliding with them.

- Don't shoot your Docking Bays or you'll turn the quadrant into a Red Zone.

TIPS:

- Make a map! The Solaris universe is a twisted up maze. Sure you can memorize it eventually, but making a map will accelerate that process.

- Cobra Ships: Don't fight them. They are worth only 80 points, and they are deadly. Cobra ships never attack a federation planet.

- There seem to be 3 basic behaviors for Zylon ships in a sector. The rule applies for all ships in a sector:

- Begin moving from the start of the game.

- Begin moving when the player enters a sector for the first time.

- Reset to starting positions each time the player enters the sector, but if there is a federation planet in the sector and the player leaves with Zylons still in the sector, then the federation planet is immediately destroyed.

- Read the instructions. Especially the scoring chart. Go for the big points.

- Your first goal must be to save most icon_wink.gif of the federation planets around your starting point.

- From your cluster of rescued planets you can now strike out and come back for fuel and repairs.

- Wormholes can move. If they do then the destination of the wormhole moves as well. Be sure to map all starting and end points for wormholes.

- Corridors are intimidating at first and not well explained in the manual. When you enter the corridor your first instinct is to pull back the stick and try to slow down. Don't do that! Shoot like crazy moving left and right to kill guardians. Each hit will slow you down some. When you see the key, then pull back and steer toward it.

- Good warping is critical to success in the game. If you warp into a zone with enemies and warp with a focus of 2 or 3, switch to the map screen and warp immediately to the same place. Repeat until you get a focus of 1 or 0. I especially find this useful for minefields. Your warp focus determines how long you are passing through the mines.

- When your scanner is damaged you need to know how to still use it. To line up for a docking or to pick up a pilot. Slide right or left until you see an 'X' on the left side of the scanner. Yo uare now lined up to dock or pick up.

Zoiks... save yourself mapping - check this website out:

I Beat Solaris

Although I don't 100% follow the route, it's the best (and perhaps only) guide out there. And even with this guide, I still can't beat the game. WAY TOO MANY cobra fleets to get through to reach Solaris, even with four lives stored up for the final leg of the trip.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

looks like Ihave to go back to using the emulator.

(on a side note:if the ranking for the last weeks game is done it turns out that I made the top ten for the first time since I joined this club :) )

Also, I belive it is my turn to pick a game for next week(according to the list,not rob since he picked this weeks game(I'll pm you later on this week about my game zero(I already know what I want but I have to see

about the settings)

My first effort for one of my favorite 2600 games. Ironically, I just got the manual for this a few months ago, so I can refer to it as necessary. Maybe I'll dust my 7800 off for a few games.

(Note to self: Don't try playing Solaris when you're still half-awake!)

post-1653-1113306302_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

I have been waiting a long time for this. I personally believe I may be the best Solaris player in the world today. I can score over 200,000 without any problem. So I am offering all my HSC points as a bounty for anyone who can beat me this week. If more than one person beats me, then the one who beats me by the most gets all my points.

TIPS:

- Make a map! The Solaris universe is a twisted up maze. Sure you can memorize it eventually, but making a map will accelerate that process.

- Cobra Ships: Don't fight them. They are worth only 80 points, and they are deadly. Cobra ships never attack a federation planet.

- There seem to be 3 basic behaviors for Zylon ships in a sector. The rule applies for all ships in a sector:

1. Begin moving from the start of the game.

2. Begin moving when the player enters a sector for the first time.

3. Reset to starting positions each time the player enters the sector, but if there is a federation planet in the sector and the player leaves with Zylons still in the sector, then the federation planet is immediately destroyed.

- Read the instructions. Especially the scoring chart. Go for the big points.

- Your first goal must be to save most ;) of the federation planets around your starting point.

- From your cluster of rescued planets you can now strike out and come back for fuel and repairs.

- Wormholes can move. If they do then the destination of the wormhole moves as well. Be sure to map all starting and end points for wormholes.

Cheers!

I have been waiting a long time for this.  I personally believe I may be the best Solaris player in the world today.  I can score over 200,000 without any problem.    So I am offering all my HSC points as a bounty for anyone who can beat me this week.  If more than one person beats me, then the one who beats me by the most gets all my points. 

:-o

Cool bounty!

Here's my first posted score: 165020.

Here are some more tips:

- Corridors are intimidating at first and not well explained in the manual. When you enter the corridor your first instinct is to pull back the stick and try to slow down. Don't do that! Shoot like crazy moving left and right to kill guardians. Each hit will slow you down some. When you see the key, then pull back and steer toward it.

- Good warping is critical to success in the game. If you warp into a zone with enemies and warp with a focus of 2 or 3, switch to the map screen and warp immediately to the same place. Repeat until you get a focus of 1 or 0. I especially find this useful for minefields. Your warp focus determines how long you are passing through the mines.

- When your scanner is damaged you need to know how to still use it. To line up for a docking or to pick up a pilot. Slide right or left until you see an 'X' on the left side of the scanner. Yo uare now lined up to dock or pick up.

post-2784-1113398153_thumb.jpg

- Good warping is critical to success in the game.  If you warp into a zone with enemies and warp with a focus of 2 or 3, switch to the map screen and warp immediately to the same place.  Repeat until you get a focus of 1 or 0.  I especially find this useful for minefields.  Your warp focus determines how long you are passing through the mines.

I assume then you are using a second controller to activate the map?

- Good warping is critical to success in the game.  If you warp into a zone with enemies and warp with a focus of 2 or 3, switch to the map screen and warp immediately to the same place.  Repeat until you get a focus of 1 or 0.  I especially find this useful for minefields.  Your warp focus determines how long you are passing through the mines.

I assume then you are using a second controller to activate the map?

836229[/snapback]

Definitely. I use the footpedal to be exact, but at least a joystick is a definite must if you want to get far. Forcing the switch to the scanner can save critical seconds, and is needed if a federation planeet comes under attack while you are fighting someone else and you want to break off.