IGNORED

River Raid Black

neotokeo2001

By Request:

RIVER RAID BLACK

RiverRaidBlackLabel50.gif

Download BIN:

River_Raid_Black.zip

River Raid is kind of a tough one. It is no problem to change the river to black. Other then the problem of having a black river (pollution?), some of the sprites do not show up well against black. I decided to give them a bright color to show up well against the black background. There is one more change I still would like to make. I am going to change the banks of the river to grey to give it more of a night feel to the game. The only problem is I can't find the code that controls the bank color. I will get it in a future update. If anyone can help on the bank color, let me know.

River Raid Black

RRBlack.gif

Original River Raid

RROrig.gif

It's really too bad this couldn't have been done to add some variety to the game... the further you progress the game would get dark (thus turning into night time) would be awesome! :)

What'd even kick more @rse is the ability to "beat" the game...

Edited by Clint Thompson

River Raid is kind of a tough one. It is no problem to change the river to black. Other then the problem of having a black river (pollution?), some of the sprites do not show up well against black. I decided to give them a bright color to show up well against the black background. There is one more change I still would like to make. I am going to change the banks of the river to grey to give it more of a night feel to the game. The only problem is I can't find the code that controls the bank color. I will get it in a future update. If anyone can help on the bank color, let me know.

Change the value at memory locations $F112 and $F1BF to change the bank color. Make them the same or it will look funny. And leave bit 2 (i.e., 76543210) as a zero to keep the dark/light bank colors. When the banks are supposed to be lighter, the code turns on that bit (effectively adding 4 to the color) and when they are supposed to be darker it leaves that bit off. So if you turn that bit on in your new color they will never be the darker color. That make sense?

Thanks to Thomas J for the commented source - though, on another note, the game doesn't seem to run correctly when his source is compiled...? Whenever I try to start a new game (after pressing RESET) by moving the joystick my plane crashes immediately.

Change the value at memory locations $F112 and $F1BF to change the bank color.  Make them the same or it will look funny.  And leave bit 2 (i.e., 76543210) as a zero to keep the dark/light bank colors.  When the banks are supposed to be lighter, the code turns on that bit (effectively adding 4 to the color) and when they are supposed to be darker it leaves that bit off.  So if you turn that bit on in your new color they will never be the darker color.  That make sense?

Thanks. I'll try to work on it later tonight.

Thanks to Thomas J for the commented source - though, on another note, the game doesn't seem to run correctly when his source is compiled...?  Whenever I try to start a new game (after pressing RESET) by moving the joystick my plane crashes immediately.

Some games use a different base read address...perhaps this is one of them.

Compare his to the original game using Dos' file compare command in binary mode to make sure...

fc /b riveraid.bin assembly.bin

That will list out everything that differs between the binaries. Needless to say, you'll want to keep the options as they exist in the original...screensaver on, no fill, no optimize.

If the base address differs...you'll need to add one to the assembly**.

**Happy guys? :lol:

Thanks to Thomas J for the commented source - though, on another note, the game doesn't seem to run correctly when his source is compiled...?  Whenever I try to start a new game (after pressing RESET) by moving the joystick my plane crashes immediately.

Some games use a different base read address...perhaps this is one of them.

Compare his to the original game using Dos' file compare command in binary mode to make sure...

fc /b riveraid.bin assembly.bin

That will list out everything that differs between the binaries. Needless to say, you'll want to keep the options as they exist in the original...screensaver on, no fill, no optimize.

If the base address differs...you'll need to add one to the assembly**.

**Happy guys? :lol:

843441[/snapback]

That's kinda what I figured, though I am curious why these disassemblies are floating around that won't compile as-is. If they need a different base address, why isn't that in there already?