IGNORED

GameStop buying EB Games!

I personally think this is a good thing. The eb were i live the people dont seem to know anything.

However i do feel bad for anyone that is going to lose their jobs. I wouldnt want to see that happen to anyone.

Since they basically carry the same stock just at different prices (gamestop being cheaper) this could work out for those of us who like to buy and trade.

There are a large number of EB Games and GameStops here in Austin, and I imagine this will result in the closure of some stores that are close to each other (and there are quite a few that fall into that category). I have never been a big fan of GameStop, mainly because they used to be Software, Etc. But in my mind most of these big chains are all pretty much the same.

..Al

But in my mind most of these big chains are all pretty much the same. 

..Al

839323[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly, they already are the same thing(at least around here) so it just seems like a name change to me.

I hate those stores. I occaisonally buy stuff from them when the deal is too good to pass up but for the most part I try to go elsewhere.

The thing that will suck for sure is that EB and GameStop used to compete against each other in the way of purchasing and selling used games. They would both be trying to pay more for games and sell them cheaper than the other. Combining both will diminish the need for that competition.

The other thing that will suck is that GameStop is very big into this idea that they will not carry any NES, SNES, Genesis or Dreamcast items, while EB still does. In fact, the EB closest to me has people working there who really liked the Dreamcast, so they tend to have at least 100 games in stock at any given time. If GameStop comes in and purchases all of them, there will be no reason for GameStop to start carrying this stuff again.

Since I really enjoy the EBs that are around town and especially the specials that they run, I for one will really miss the competition they had and the deals that I got because of it.

More bad news. Less competition on used game prices, and buy 2 get one free incentives. :sad: Oh well, I could really care less at this point as long as people still trade in new games after one week, and we continue to see budget titles and cheap used prices.

What will be interesting to see is what happens with all the malls that have GameStops and EBs in them. Will they keep two stores open? If they do, I wonder if they'll even rename the EBs in areas where the two both have heavy penetration? If so, will be kind of odd to see EB Games disappear from the gaming world. I worked at an Electronics Boutique _many_ years ago, for a sixth month stretch that included the Christmas holiday season.

..Al

I'm not sure this deal will pass anti-trust muster.  It would leave no serious competition in the marketplace.  That's what killed the Blockbuster/Hollywood Video deal.  It *should* kill this one, too.

839334[/snapback]

I don't agree, there are a huge number of stores here in Austin selling video games. Besides GameStop and Electronics Boutique, we also have GameCrazy (Hollywood Video), Blockbuster, Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys 'R' Us, Ultimate Electronics, Fry's Electronics, Gamefellas, Target, Wal-mart all selling game consoles, games, and computer software. And I'm sure I'm missing many stores, these are just ones off the top of my head. I buy more games at Fry's and Best Buy than I do at EB / GameStop. I think it would be difficult to make a case that these guys merging would leave no competition in the marketplace.

..Al

I can assume some stores will be closed, mainly those next to the others store. Frankly, I like GameStop over EB and hope this bodes well for the whole thing.

One thing I am praying for.. NO MORE GOD DAMNED STICKERS! Unless GS decides that's one of EB's better ideas. *shudder*

I can't speak for all places, but Tulsa only has 2 EB Games. But we have like 5 GameStops. None of them are really in close proximity other than the new EB that literally just opened a little less than 6 months ago that is only about a block from the main Woodland Hills mall here. We have a GameStop in that mall and then this separate EB Games in a plaza up the street. But I could see them simply renaiming that one to GameStop and then competing with GameXChange and Vintage Stock which are also in the same 1 mile block of each other and the mall as well.

Otherwise EB Games isn't much of an impact here and I rarely visit them. Ours does carry a very small amount of DC stuff...but no NES, SNES, Genesis or any of the older systems games and accessories any longer. So for me, they are one and the same with just different names. Won't impact us much here in Tulsa to be honest.

GameXChange and Vintage Stock are better places for used games..and new games I usually pick up from Wal-Mart, Target, or Best-Buy or whoever has the best price deals going on ...like the recent Circuit City one (I struck out on that one...).

Holy hostile takeover, Batman! I didn't see that one coming. Oh well, they were pretty much the same anyway, and the manufacturers are setting prices, so it's not like we had much competition anyway.

I buy most of my non-release day stuff at the Record Exchange (local used shop) and Target, so I suppose life goes on.

I'm not sure this deal will pass anti-trust muster.  It would leave no serious competition in the marketplace.  That's what killed the Blockbuster/Hollywood Video deal.  It *should* kill this one, too.

839334[/snapback]

I don't agree, there are a huge number of stores here in Austin selling video games. Besides GameStop and Electronics Boutique, we also have GameCrazy (Hollywood Video), Blockbuster, Best Buy, Circuit City, Toys 'R' Us, Ultimate Electronics, Fry's Electronics, Gamefellas, Target, Wal-mart all selling game consoles, games, and computer software. And I'm sure I'm missing many stores, these are just ones off the top of my head. I buy more games at Fry's and Best Buy than I do at EB / GameStop. I think it would be difficult to make a case that these guys merging would leave no competition in the marketplace.

It isn't just a matter of being able to buy video games elsewhere. There aren't that many places that specialize in video games and especially in used video games. Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. all have a nationwide presence, but they aren't seen as competitors of EB and Gamestop. The "video game specialty store" market really has only the two of them in it nationally.

I'm not actually *predicting* it won't happen, just that I could easily see it as being turned down.

Holy hostile takeover, Batman!  I didn't see that one coming.  Oh well, they were pretty much the same anyway, and the manufacturers are setting prices, so it's not like we had much competition anyway. 

I buy most of my non-release day stuff at the Record Exchange (local used shop) and Target, so I suppose life goes on.

839384[/snapback]

I guess you have never got in on the buy 2 get 1 free deals then. Plenty of competition between the two in the used game area.

I don't think it will matter that much for me anyway they both pretty much stink.

I don't think they will be able to pay less / charge more for used games because if they give too little people won't bother selling them or will just sell on ebay.

I don't think they will have to worry about anti trust yeah they may be the only dedicated videogame store but they have plenty of compititon from department stores.

big buy outs like this are never good now game stop has even less reason to try and give consumers good deals. Game stop is now the biggest chain for game stores and im sure we can count on it being the worst in a short while. Why bother keeping up customers happy what are they going to do trade games in at target? There is no positive to this and it reminds me of when g4 killed tech tv. Only now the better network is taking over but we will see how long they stay good.

big buy outs like this are never good now game stop has even less reason to try and give consumers good deals.  Game stop is now the biggest chain for game stores and im sure we can count on it being the worst in a short while.  Why bother keeping up customers happy what are they going to do trade games in at target?  There is no positive to this and it reminds me of when g4 killed tech tv.  Only now the better network is taking over but we will see how long they stay good.

839433[/snapback]

If their service goes downhill and their prices go up, they'll go out of business. The only time I step foot in an EB or GameStop now is for games that JUST CAME OUT and I can't find at Best Buy or some other store. And that's not a very common occurence. I don't sell used games to any of these stores as I consider it a blatant ripoff. I'd rather sell them on eBay or by advertising them where other gamers can find 'em (such as here). And we have lots of other local shops here in Austin that buy used games, so not a huge deal here. This will probably be a boon to those local stores.

..Al

While there are plenty of other places selling games, they are the Coke and Pepsi of video game retailers.

For used games and buy backs, GameStop now has pretty much cornered the market. Their new games prices will remain competitive though because of the Best Buy / Media Play / Circuit City stores.

Whatever the case, less competition in the used games market can't be a good thing.

Whatever the case, less competition in the used games market can't be a good thing.

839458[/snapback]

Could be good for Ebay -- both for buyers and sellers. I never understood why anyone would trade anything at EB or GS for pennies on the dollar when Ebay can fetch the true market value.

I doubt this will raise any antitrust issues. This isn't the Staples/Office Depot scenario, where competition was clearly an issue. The manufacturers set retail prices, and these chains never deviated from them until long after release.

Game prices are going to go up with or without retail consolidation.

I miss the days of the liberal return policy -- wonder if that will ever come back? Nah.

Albert you say if there service is bad people wont go there.  But their service is bad already and people still go there.  I have no doubt in my mind no matter how awful the service is that morons will still go there.

839525[/snapback]

If people have bad experiences at these stores and they continue to spend money at them, these individuals are getting what they deserve. If GameStop ends up consistently dish out bad services and their prices are consistently higher than other stores selling games (retail and online), it offers opportunities for other stores to win over their customers. I have not really had any bad dealings with either store, but I'm not terribly fond of them either. I also don't really care for Best Buy or Fry's too much, for that matter. :)

..Al

Well, I can't see it having an effect on me. There are three EBs in my whole province and no Gamestops, so unless Gamestop says, "Hey lets pull out of that market altogether", things should remain the same here. If they do leave I'll still have a few chains (Microplay) and a couple local specialty shops. The only concern I have is that Gametop may not support the N-Gage, in which case I am screwed as no one else in this province sells stuff for it. Taking a plane or a boat out of province to buy videogames doesn't sound fun.

Here In metro phoenix, Az. Eb has two store types: EB Sells/Trade Games, APPS, Hardware & DVD (PC, Mac, Nintendo, Sega, Sony) and Eb Games Sell/TradeGames, Hardware & DvD (Pc, Nintendo & Sony), Then There's Gamestop/Babbages: Gamestop sell/trade Nintendo, Sony DVD and Few/None PC (No Hardware) and Babbages Sells Only PC, Nintendo, Sony (No Hardware)

I found the Sims and All Addons Used for Pc At Eb Games for $20

Gamestop Had the same used for $50