IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 14: Keystone Kapers

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Officer Kelly reporting for duty. Leaping Leprechauns!! If it isn't Harry Hooligan...up to his old shenanigans. That blunderous hoodlum is robbing Southwick's. And on a Sunday at that! C'mon then...lend a hand. We've got to catch the krook, recover the loot and be careful to boot! Listen up! Don't get KO'd by wild shopping carts, beachballs or biplanes. And get moving! There's not a moment to lose, because this week's game is Keystone Kapers!

Game Information

• Game Name: Keystone Kapers
  • Released By: Activision, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Right Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Dan Iacovelli

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, April 26th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be iguana! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (StanJr) [+11]
    goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif153,400 (Fellow Atari Man) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif88,150 (davepesc) [+9]
  4. 83,150 (sku_u) [+8]
  5. 82,400 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 72,550 (Lord Helmet) [+6]
  7. 58,150 (vdub_bobby) [+5]
  8. 54,200 (Keir) [+4]
  9. 40,500 (Numan) [+3]
  10. 38,900 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
    38,900 (Goochman) [+2]
  11. 33,350 (video game addict) [+1]
  12. 32,450 (Osbo) [+1]
  13. 31,300 (scogey) [+1]
    31,300 (keilbaca) [+1]
  14. 28,450 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]
  15. 22,200 (Mad Scientist) [+1]
  16. 15,150 (Malc74) [+1]
  17. 14,300 (khryssun) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifthe 5th ghost [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Patch Challenge - Billy Club: Score 35,000 or higher and get 1 extra point!
    • StanJr, the 5th ghost, Fellow Atari Man, davepesc, sku_u, SpiceWare, Lord Helmet, vdub_bobby, Keir, Numan, LarcenTyler, Goochman [+1]

Current Standings

• keilbaca [108]
  • StanJr [108]
  • Malc74 [53]
  • Osbo [49]
  • sku_u [42]
  • Christophero Sly [41]
  • video game addict [41]
  • KaeruYojimbo [39]
  • vdub_bobby [34]
  • Robert M [33]
  • gospeedde [31]
  • the 5th ghost [31]
  • Fellow Atari Man [31]
  • racer raul [29]
  • chrisbid [28]
  • Blackjack [27]
  • Philflound [27]
  • LarcenTyler [26]
  • Numan [26]
  • Keir [24]
  • pitfallaimee [24]
  • Dones [24]
  • Cybergoth [20]
  • chubsta [17]
  • yuppicide [15]
  • candiru [14]
  • mikeftrevino [14]
  • Goochman [14]
  • Dan Iacovelli [14]
  • cvga [13]
  • Lord Thag [9]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  • SpiceWare [8]
  • adams_ale [6]
  • Mad Scientist [6]
  • scogey [5]
  • khryssun [5]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  • Bubbledragon [4]
  • BydoEmpire [3]
  • kemsted [3]
  • Stingray [3]
  • Lord Helmet [3]
  • 128bytes [2]
  • Voch [2]
  • iguana [2]
  • Chris++ [1]
  • awsomo3000 [1]
  • madbutscher [1]
  • Scooterb23 [1]
  • bjk7382 [1]
  • Gateway [1]

Member List

• iguana, Gateway, gospeedde, KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli

Scoring Points in Keystone Kapers

• Points are earned each time a Krook is apprehended. The sooner you catch him, the more points you'll get. Krooks 1 through 8 are worth 100 times the amount left on Bonus Timer. Krooks 9 through 16 are worth 200 times the amount left on Bonus Timer. After your 16th arrest, each Krook will be worth 300 times the amount left on Bonus Timer. Also, every recovered moneybag and suitcase is worth 50 points.
  • Every time your score increases by 10,000 points, a Kop is added to your reserve squad, up to a maximum of three on-screen at a time.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has both scanned and typed copies of it online for your reading pleasure.

What's that? You're too lazy to click those links? Well, you really should since this game is quite complicated and you'll really need to know what you're doing to get a high score, but here are the hints it provides anyways:

- DON'T GET STUCK ON THE ROOF!! Because - surprise! - you can't get back down! To avoid this embarrassing predicament, stay behind the Krook and don't go to the roof until he's up there.

- As your score rises, the beachballs bounce higher. Forget about trying to jump over them. Instead, DUCK! Also, the biplanes and shopping carts start coming in waves, so learn their rhythms and do the "Keystone Strut". To the tune of the shopping carts it's, "Jump...run two steps...Jump...run two steps..etc." To the biplane beat it's, "Duck...run three steps...duck...run three steps...etc." Learn to adjust to changing rhythms

- And, to save yourself a few steps, have Kelly JUMP onto the escalators. He'll be halfway up already. Now, go out and get those guys!

heres a tip I used: when catching the krook (and excuse my expression) Jump on him instead of just running up to him. it will save you some time

also try to catch the elevator on the lower level it save some more time as well instead of running from escaltor to esclator.

On the later levels, don't worry about the treasures as much. Hang around the elevator and use your radar to time your ascent and catch the crook. Try to avoid the obstacles as much as possible as you can't afford to lose any time on the higher levels.
A few tips:

*On the first several levels, before the red ball starts bouncing high, you can run non-stop and jump over it without hitting it or losing any time.

*You usually shouldn't bother with the elevator unless it's only a wait of a few seconds, plus you usually shouldn't take it to the top level unless the crook has either already passed by or is very close.

*The instant your bonus points are tallied and a new level starts, MOVE. The crook's already on the move and there's never an obstacle on the first screen with you.

My tips:

You will always use the elevator. If you start the round with the elevator on the middle floor going up, this is the optimum scenario. By the time you reach the elevator screen on the 1st floor, it should either be ready to open or already open. If it is already open, BE QUICK! Jump the shopping cart and quickly hop on (the elevator will wait for you if you time it right.) Get off on the second floor and then it's a matter of jumping or dodging and you catch the crook on the 3rd floor, within 2 or 3 screens. Repeat this as long as you can.

If you get hit by a plane and start over with the elevator in a different position, there are 2 scenarios to look for.

Scenario 1:

Here's what to do...wait for the elevator on the 1st floor and hop on when it arrives. WATCH THE CROOK ON THE RADAR SCREEN! If he is just rounding the corner from the 2nd to the 3rd floor, get off on the 2nd floor and stay low (to avoid the plane) Wait for the elevator to come back then hop on, ride it down, then back up, get off at the top floor and resume chasing the crook who will be heading to the roof. You will have time to catch him!

Scenario 2:

Again, get on the elevator on the first floor. WATCH THE CROOK ON THE RADAR SCREEN! If he is already on the 3rd floor at least halfway between the right escalator and elevator, STAY ON THE ELEVATOR the whole time. Go to the top (crook will reverse his direction,) go back down, (crook will then reverse a second time and head back onto the 3rd floor,) by the time you head back to the 3rd floor, the crook will only be 1 to 2 screens away to your left. You can usually catch him before he hits the roof. If you are savvy, you can let him go to the roof and then catch him. (this will start the next round with the optimum scenario as far as the elevator position goes ;) )

Final tip:

Dodging the double-high-bouncing red balls. As soon as you enter the screen, PAUSE, time and JUMP the 1st red ball, quickly go directly to the right side of the 2nd white pillar and DUCK. After the 2nd red ball bounces over you, run and DUCK AGAIN. Position this duck directly above the left edge of the RADAR MAP. The next red ball will harmlessly pass over you, then run for it. That's all there is to it!

The rest, I'll leave up to you. Dodging the planes is all timing (listen to your steps)

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

there is reason why I choose this game(besides that it being a very common game and mostly everybody has it) It marks the second aniversery of my hack of this game (laserman2k3). orgianlly I was going to choose my hack but decided against it because I rather play the original game then the hack(the hack is actually much harder to play then the orginal )

(I'm also good at this game as well)

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

first score: 13300 (sorry no pic played on actual system)

839935[/snapback]

slight improvement: 19200

I can get past two radios but when it gets to three radios I keep hitting

the third one.

the two balls are also trouble for as well.

(quick question:besdies Stan and myself, who else has tried my hack since it was made in 2003)

heres a tip I used: when catching the krook (and excuse my expression)

Jump on him instead of just running up to him. it will save you some time

also try to catch the elevator on the lower level it save some more time as well instead of running from escaltor to esclator.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

83,150 is my first submission. I know I can get 1,000,000 in this one, but it's been a while.

Tip:

On the later levels, don't worry about the treasures as much. Hang around the elevator and use your radar to time your ascent and catch the crook. Try to avoid the obstacles as much as possible as you can't afford to lose any time on the higher levels.

this game is activision at its best, good choice.

1 thing i like to try is skipping the elevator the 1st time and trying to time my arrival on the third floor just as the crookgets there.

also, why is he in prison stripes.....he hasnt been convicted yet.

A few tips:

*On the first several levels, before the red ball starts bouncing high, you can run non-stop and jump over it without hitting it or losing any time.

*You usually shouldn't bother with the elevator unless it's only a wait of a few seconds, plus you usually shouldn't take it to the top level unless the crook has either already passed by or is very close.

*The instant your bonus points are tallied and a new level starts, MOVE. The crook's already on the move and there's never an obstacle on the first screen with you.

post-3650-1113969311_thumb.jpg

Well, I did it. It took a little over 2 hours, but I White Hatted it. The game gets pretty simple once the difficulty maxes. As long as you don't die, you can follow a very straightforward pattern and nothing changes its placement.

The elevator is crucial. If timed right you can get it on the bottom level and get to the crook before the clock goes below 35. If you do this you are guaranteed 1 extra life per level (at the higher levels). After about 50K the diff has maxed and you should have no trouble.

Great game. Love those hats! :)

I added a pic with Spidey in it to verify that I did it and its not a stock photo or some such! :spidey:

post-409-1113975691_thumb.jpg

post-409-1113975726_thumb.jpg

First attempt: 27,700

I really start having trouble after the 2 balls appear at the same time. You have to jump the first, backtrack, then jump the second. Then, you will have to jump a third before you can leave the screen.

I usually end up hitting the second ball.