IGNORED

Atari 2600 PAL Schematics Online

Albert

/2600/archives/schematics_pal/index.htmlHot on the heels of the Atari 7800 schematics we put online a few days ago, we have Thomas Jentzsch to thank for our latest addition. Thomas dug around his hard drive and located some Atari 2600 PAL schematics to complement the NTSC schematics already online. These schematics were created by Jerzy Sobola and are the clearest schematics we've put online to date. These were created by computer, as opposed to the scanned schematics we've put online previously. We hope some of you hardware gurus out there are able to put these to good use!

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

WOW! as you know, Thomas, I've been trying to find out how to do a composite mod on a PAL jr. Should have known you'd come up with the goods. Thanks VERY much for posting these. Its soldering time

It's just another way of saying: "Thank YOU for the great labels!"

(goes all red and shy)

Aw thanks man, you're welcome, good timing too, yesterday I recieved my 'experiment' 2600jr, which I bought so I can test my evil out on, rather like that ship full of people in Alien 4

quote:

Hmm, on looking through them, there seems to be quite a few differences from the US version. Any takers on a PAL compostite mod now? If anyone has any ideas, I've got my 2600 on hand to try them out

A friend simply did this:

Connect TIA Pin 13 (Aud) directly with audio.

Connect TIA Pins 2 (CSyn), 5,6 and 7 (LumX) directly with composite.

Connect TIA Pin 9 (Color) after C50 (before R41, R55) to composite too.

That's all!

He says, it looks ok, but perhaps there are some even better solutions arround.

quote:

HAHAAA! not only does he come up with the plans, but a solution too!

I'm gonna make a Thomas Jentzsch statue and put it in my garden for passers by to gaze upon in silent awe

Ok, but make it 1:1, I'm 6 feet tall!

Hmm, that would perhaps be the first statue of a German in England since WW2.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Hmm, well - I've been poking around the innards of my 2600jr. I found the TIA easily enough, but I can't for the life of me work out which pins are which, its an absolute maze in there!

I think I'd need a dumb-ass step by step tutorial to do this. I so would love to understand electronics - I even have a digital multimeter, but no idea how to use it

quote:

I found the TIA easily enough, but I can't for the life of me work out which pins are which, its an absolute maze in there!

The pins are numbered from 1..n on one side and from n+1..n*2 on the other side of the chips. This order is often changed for the schematics to make the layout less (or more ) confusing.

AFAIK TIA pin 1 is at the lower right if you look at the upper side (all chips visible).

Can't tell you much more, because I don't know much better than you do.

quote:

yeah, buy which way up should I be looking at the chip?

Hmm, I don't know the board layout of a Jr. On boards I know, the TIA is aligned parallel to the lower border (see. below).

And I think the chip is not looking exactly symmetric. On one side there is a little bit plastic missing. The opposite side is where the counting starts (AFAIK, no guarantee!).

code:

------------------------

| SLOT |

| |

| |

| TIA |

------------------------

Pin 1 is at the right end of the A

Ah, got it, so your friend DEFINITELY did that? Seems too simple, wiring directly to the chip, when all the NTSC mods are all over the circuit board. But if you're sure that was how it was done, I'll have a pop at it, oh yeah, you wire the outside edge of the Phono sockets to 'ground' don't you.

quote:

Ah, got it, so your friend DEFINITELY did that? Seems too simple, wiring directly to the chip, when all the NTSC mods are all over the circuit board.

I saw him working two weeks ago, and all but one (COLOR) were directly connected to the TIA socket (he unmounted the chip first to avoid overheating).

IIRC the NTSC mods only use other places to attach the cables, but those are directly connected with the pins too.

I saw some other mods (in the web only) where the signals could be adjusted, but the picture already looked quite god to him and he will modify my 2600 the same way too.

If something goes wrong, I can buy another plain Jr. for 5 DM or 2.60 Euro

But if you're sure that was how it was done, I'll have a pop at it,  oh yeah, you wire the outside edge of the Phono sockets to 'ground' don't you.

Exactly.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

Cool. Thanks. Just one thing, he unmounted the entire chip?? Is that really necessary, did he then just wire the active connections from the chip back to the PCB?

I really am exhibiting primary school ignorance with this arent I ?

quote:

Cool. Thanks. Just one thing, he unmounted the entire chip?? Is that really necessary, did he then just wire the active connections from the chip back to the PCB?

No no, he simply pushed the chip back into its socket after he finished his work.

I really am exhibiting primary school ignorance with this arent I  ?

No comment.

Oh I see. haha, Ah, I'll just solder to the pins sticking thru the PCB bottom, drill a hole thru a blank bit of PCB and route the wires to the top edge. Should be OK (!!)

I really am crap at electronics, all I've managed to do with my big digital multimeter thus far is short out my GBA screen!

quote:

Oh yeah, when all this is done, is it worth removing any of the current rf stuff from the PCB, for instance, that big silver rf box or should I just leave it be

Don't know, perhaps it's better. But my friend didn't.

Anybody else around who can help with that question?

Well...now that you mention it, the ultimate aim is to composite mod the 2600, trim off al the rubbish that powers the rf signal (and whatever else I can lose) and rehouse it in a nice little polished wooden shell with controller ports at the front