IGNORED

atari game reviews???

memorymoog

Every once in a while, I'll have my column 'Video Game Nostalgia 101' over at Blowout Magazine (www.blowoutmagazine.com), where I do themed video game write-ups - last one was about wrestling, and I did cover Atari 2600 in there.... I wish it wasn't taken down just yet though...

Oh well, I'll let you all know when something else is up.

Al

Also - on a side note - my web page is finally up and running! www.bulletproofpopemobile.com - please check it out.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Now, I ask you, what is wrong with this review?

The 5200 version is basically identical to the Atari 800 version. It's amusing that this person likes the Atari 2600 version better than the 5200 version. Star Raiders for the 800 is a classic. I can't imagine the person writing this review was being serious. Here are some choice comments from it,

When you use hyperspace or dock with your space station, you are required to "steer", which is painfully difficult.

Oops, I guess Atari forgot to include a Teddy Bear mode for this game. Or at least a version that doesn't require you to use the joystick at all and actually play the game.

Your control panel displays plenty of numbers, but much of this is just gratuitous information you'll never actually need.

Uhh, what? Maybe you should stick to playing Space Invaders? Oh, wait, even that game has numbers.

The faster you go, the louder the wind noise. Wind noise? So much for realism!

Uhmm, that's not wind noise, that's your engine. And it's a good audible gauge of what your engines are set to. Feedback of this nature is a *good thing*, as you learn in the game industry quickly, if you want to write successful games.

..Al

Albert, Cafeman,

with more than 1400 reviews online, you can't expect that they all match everybodies opinion. Everybody has his own preferences.

But if you think this review (or others) is completely wrong, you should send a mail to Dave and correct him. I did this for several 2600 games in the past and he always at least gave them another try and in most cases changed his mind.

Perhaps you should use an a little bit more polite form.

Keep a look out for the 50 best games the 2600 has to offer, aswell as a HUGE round up of all the major hombrews, they'll be up by the end of the week.

Albert / Alex: We're trying to extend the 2600 review section, and at some point we will put a CGI search in. Maybe we could link the search up, as with the eBay search in the cart search? So as people can search for reviews on Atarinvader. Whatcha think?