IGNORED

Finally got Double Dragon!

Clint Thompson

Sweetness... got it for a good price too!

This game is pretty cool... sounds good and plays well but is too damn hard using the proline sticks.

I played it and would have gotten further if it wasn't for trying to use that 2nd button to kick the baddies.... it just isn't made for these type of games (ouch).

I'll try again because I would like to get further but I feel I'm going to need those euro pads to actually get anywhere useful.

Has anyone here beaten the game? If so, kudos!

I can't get past the first level.. ouch....

post-985-1114660069_thumb.jpg

I don't think those proline's were made for any type of game. Have you tried playing Joust with one of those things? When I got a 7800, finding a set of NES-style game pads was my first priority. It makes the system immensely more playable.

BTW, have you played Double Dragon on the SMS or NES so that you'll have an idea about how this version stacks up?

I didn't realize Double Dragon came in the silver label.  Mine is the white Activision label.  Is this the PAL version?  Any insist would be appreciated.

845418[/snapback]

Mine was white too ;)

Call me crazy for insisting on a custom made label since the white one was screwed up I figured this would be a good replacement, works out pretty nice imo.

I didn't realize Double Dragon came in the silver label.  Mine is the white Activision label.  Is this the PAL version?  Any insist would be appreciated.

845418[/snapback]

Mine's a white label as well. That color label looks more in house Atari style than Activisions normal own designs which is at least interesting to me, lol. and yeah, those prolines are godawful. They really feel like they were meant to be bolted to a table and used cause they absolutely kill my hands with even light usage. I'd love to pick up an adapter for the smaller Sega Genesis controllers and use those instead. The Master System ones are ok cept those corners, like the NES ones, also dig into my hands.

I don't think those proline's were made for any type of game.  Have you tried playing Joust with one of those things?  When I got a 7800, finding a set of NES-style game pads was my first priority.  It makes the system immensely more playable.

BTW, have you played Double Dragon on the SMS or NES so that you'll have an idea about how this version stacks up?

845408[/snapback]

It's been so long since I have I really don't remember but I know it wasn't this hard to play on the NES pad ;) (who is sending me some Euro 7800 pads again?!?!) :cool:

845418[/snapback]

Mine is a white label too, published by activision, to my knowledge it was never published by Atari with the silver label, so, either it was and that's news to me, or that is a pirate of the game and the pirates who made it mistakenly figured it would look like most other Atari 7800 carts with the silver label. Can anyone verify that it was published by Atari also and this is a legit cartridge? If so, I want one! Ooh, never mind, just saw your post stating it was a custom label.

Edited by Gunstar

DOUBLE DRAGON is really easy to beat, once you learn a couple of tricks. To be honest, while I found it fun and enjoyed the game, it smacked of "half-ass programming" and "rushed design". It shows ... in the colors, the graphics, the sprites, the details missing, and the AI.

Want to know how to beat it? Learn how to reverse jump kick to the right. Learn how to head butt. Learn the stupid AI tricks like pinning Abobos against a wall and kicking at them.

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to beat up.

If you guys would bother to read Clint's posts, you'd see taht he says "Yes it's a custom label I made becasue the white one was torn."

Duh.

845714[/snapback]

If YOU would bother to read our posts (or at least mine) a little more closely you'd see that I edited it stating that I saw Clint's LATER post, which I hadn't gotten to yet when I initially made my post (you know sometimes people respond to posts before reading the entire thread; so as not to forget what's on their minds at the moment). DUH.

DOUBLE DRAGON is really easy to beat, once you learn a couple of tricks. To be honest, while I found it fun and enjoyed the game, it smacked of "half-ass programming" and "rushed design".  It shows ... in the colors, the graphics, the sprites, the details missing, and the AI.

Want to know how to beat it? Learn how to reverse jump kick to the right. Learn how to head butt.  Learn the stupid AI tricks like pinning Abobos against a wall and kicking at them.

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to beat up.

845953[/snapback]

yeah, there are a lot of different tricks that make it easy to beat. The one I always used was to go up against a wall at the top, and use the elbow move back and forth as the enemies came to me. I got throught the whole game using that one move with them rarely even getting a chance to hit me! The graphics seem to get better as you move along in the game, and I think it's better than the NES version, especially with the double player option that the NES version lacks, but the Master System version definately is the best of the three, but then, the Master system seemed to always kick the NES and 7800's ass in graphics...I never had the Master system back in the day, only the 7800, and I was happy with it's version, especially after seeing the NES version at a friends house. But I've got the Master system emulator on my DC and now I've seen how much better it was over the other two systems. I do think the 7800 COULD have been as good as the Master system if it had been used to it's full potential, but alas, it rarely was, if ever.

it's better than the NES version, especially with the double player option that the NES version lacks, but the Master System version definately is the best of the three

I actually didn't like the SMS version, for a couple of reasons.

1. The guy always seemed move really sluggishly.

2. The flickering, flickering and more flickering

3. The graphics were good in spots but awful in others (example: around the bridge.

Where I thought the SMS had a good translation, though, was in its RAMPAGE!

it's better than the NES version, especially with the double player option that the NES version lacks, but the Master System version definately is the best of the three

I actually didn't like the SMS version, for a couple of reasons.

1. The guy always seemed move really sluggishly.

2. The flickering, flickering and more flickering

3. The graphics were good in spots but awful in others (example: around the bridge.

Where I thought the SMS had a good translation, though, was in its RAMPAGE!

846013[/snapback]

Hmm...well I've never played a real Master system, only the emulator, so maybe it's not as sluggish on the emulator (DC)? I never played it as far as the bridge, so I don't know about the graphics there. I just played the first level to check it out and see how it compared to the 7800 version. I'd already beaten the game on the 7800, so I had no interest in playing it through on the Master system.