IGNORED

uh, does anyone like this game?

King Atari

Yes, that's right, I'm ranting about another red label game. That can mean only one thing: It's coming in the mail ! So, does anyone like the game Desert Falcon? The video game critic gives it an F, but I think it's better than that. Just takes some getting used too, even if it is slightly repetitive. Now, I'm not gonna go and try to get the rarity moved up (I only did that with Dark Chambers because I KNEW it wasn't a 2, and I thought Frogger II was rarer than a 6, but apparently not), I just want to know if anyone enjoys it too.

It's really Atari's attempt to recreate a 3D game to compete with Zaxxon, which Coleco didn't do very well on the 2600. I love this game.

Not the first time competing companies have done it, just as Jungle Hunt/Pitfall are basically the same game and games like Moustrap and a host of other games fed off the Pac Man craze, and Galaxian is Space Invaders part II.

Hmmm...just change the ship to a bird, give it an ancient Egyptian theme with pyramids and the Sphinx, and it's not the same game legally. I love it personally. The 7800 game is literally arcade-quality, but the 2600 does a great job, especially on the ending sequence against the big cat.

It's really an example that if the 2600 programmers had known all the tricks of making games actually look good and had the time and money and need to make games that play this well early on, we wouldn't have video pinball, video olympics, home run or adventure.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: utamav91 ]

Well, Pitfall and Jungle Hunt actually only have the jungle theme in common, the gameplay is totally different...

Btw I love Video Olympics and even if I never got into playing Adventure much, it was very good when it came out compared to what was around at the time.

Anyway, utamav01, I get the point.. Well, the world of videogames always was and still is a matter of "copying and (hopefully) improving". AFAIK, one of the biggest efforts against "cloning" was taken by Activision when it forced the game Katakis to be modified because it resembled too much R-Type...

greets,

rasty.-

Yeah! I love "Desert Falcon". When you first play it it´s

a bit hard, but after some Practice it´s real fun. This

Game has everything i expect from a "real" Red-Label

Game: Nice Graphics, various Difficulties to choose,neat

Music and it just plays fine. I especially like the fight

against the Sphinx at the end of each Level! Maybe you

won´t find it that good when you play it for the first

time, but you should give it a chance...

Yep, as soon as i get a 7800 i´ll also grab the 7800-

Version of it!

I'm glad to see others like this game.

quote:

This

Game has everything i expect from a "real" Red-Label

Game: Nice Graphics, various Difficulties to choose,neat

Music and it just plays fine.

That's one of the reasons I like it, they really did some amazing things in those later years. The graphics were slightly blocky for the period, almost silver label era (but not quite), but still quite servicable. And the whole Zaxxon angle thing is awesome.

Uber You got that Right!!!

Solaris is still in my book the ultimate in showing off the 2600. Hell it looks like a Nintendo game! The Corridor segments are really something to behold and even still I look at amazement when I pop in Solaris and see those craters on the planet surface rushing underneath me...and the saturn like planet in the background.

I have only played Secret Quest in emulation as I don't actually own this cart yet. It is on the list however, and I do agree that as gameplay quality goes...Secret quest is awesome. Too bad it didn't randomize the maze layouts as that would have made Secret Quest about the best adventure game on the 2600 ever!