task_regX  .ds tasks
task_regY  .ds tasks

;---
run main

opt l-
icl 'align.asm'
icl 'xasm.asm'

mtask.zip

Well, I've been looking at it, and it seems to be driven off of one of the NMI interrupts, and he is doing full page stack copies on context switch. There are 2 tasks set up. The basic idea for multitasking is to preserve the stack and all of the CPU registers for each task, and then copy them down for a context switch. In practice page zero locations, at least some of them, need to be preserved as well, due to the fact that page 0 is used as virtual registers a lot.

For bigger programs you'd also need to copy the zeropage registers.

But if you run 2 (or maybe 4) small executables then you can also split the stack area (page 01) in two (/four). You'd just have to backup stackpointer values. I think I've seen this kind of split-stack multitasking once.

The last Lunix update was 4 years ago.  The project is dead.

No, it isn't dead at all. The newest release (v0.21) came out on September of last year. It still is being updated currently albeit slowly. At least the C64/C128 versions are being worked on. ;) Link: LUnixTNG

I think general multitasking on the 6502 is not that useful because you will run out of CPU time to do anything meaningful at once (or memory).

853812[/snapback]

Possibly. Now if one looks at the Contiki OS however...

Garak

I *have* looked at contiki. It's very cool. If I get my ethernet thingy working I am going to mod contiki to use it.

As far as multitasking goes, they are probably correct that something like a full fledged MT OS is impractical. However, a very thin, non-preemptive task switching system is practical. There would be a main thread, and then background service threads ( possibly interrupt driven ), but no large amount of tasks, memory protection or virtual memory as such.

Edited by danwinslow

The last Lunix update was 4 years ago.  The project is dead.

No, it isn't dead at all. The newest release (v0.21) came out on September of last year. It still is being updated currently albeit slowly. At least the C64/C128 versions are being worked on. ;) Link: LUnixTNG

Yeah, but look at what it's being used for:

screenshots

I'd rather see some multitasking programs in which the individual programs are fully featured and graphical.

I'd rather see some multitasking programs in which the individual programs are fully featured and graphical.

Well, so would all of us, but thats a tall order on an 8 bit atari. Maybe you shoudl go write one for an IBM PC with 1GB memory and a p4 processor. Oh wait, its been done. :)

Well, so would all of us, but thats a tall order on an 8 bit atari. Maybe you shoudl go write one for an IBM PC with 1GB memory and a p4 processor. Oh wait, its been done. :)

854600[/snapback]

My point is that when you consider all of the single-tasking 8-bit software that uses the full capabilities of the machine, writing a multitasking kernel without writing anything to use it beyond simple shell programs that do directory lists or stream out text files like some kind of dumb terminal is kind of a step backwards in the end. I do like how Lunix does runtime relocating of the binaries, which prevents you from having to alter your sourcecode. I bet it makes the loading a lot slower, though. It's a step in the right direction but it's not enough.

With ConTiki they thought about the applications first and the multitasking was just a means to an end.