IGNORED

Antic Chips

I have two 800XL computers... I had them both apart today and realized that the Antic chips have different codes/part numbers... one is C012296 and the other is C021697... Anyone know the reason for the different codes? Best - Electronics lists one as Antic and the other as XL/XE Antic... any ideas?

I have two 800XL computers... I had them both apart today and realized that the Antic chips have different codes/part numbers... one is C012296 and the other is C021697... Anyone know the reason for the different codes? Best - Electronics lists one as Antic and the other as XL/XE Antic... any ideas?

853765[/snapback]

I think it has something to do with RAM refresh operations.

One of Antic's functions is to address DRAM columns during the DRAM-refresh cycles. One type of ANTIC just refreshes 128 columns (maybe for use in a 600 xl with just 16 kb), and the other type refreshes the full 256 columns. (don't know exactly which is which)

C012296 is supposed to be incompatible with the 64x1 DRAM chips used in the 800XL.

-Bry

854274[/snapback]

I opened up my other three 800XL systems today... They ALL have the C012296 chip so it must be compatible with the 800xl :)

As for the Dram info... It must have something to do with that as I was looking into the wizztronics 256 upgrade and depending on the antic chip in your system depends on how you install it...

Brad from Best Electronics said that he thinks one is 7bit and the other 8bit...

I guess the computers work with either chip so it's not a biggie... I was just curious...